Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Johnnie Weir to Cook again!

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Why do they keep having the same celebrities on these kinds of shows?
    Especially Joey Fatone. He's got a second career going for himself with these appearances.

Custom Title
    I don't know whether you folks remember the season Bristol Palin was on DWTS. In the intro to each show, as the couples come onto the stage, the announcer always "labels" each celebrity to identify him or her. Bristol had no credentials whatever at that point, so they always called her "teen activist Bristol Palin." It made her sound as though she spent her days at St. Jude's Hospital, or in sub-Saharan Africa. When she returned for her all-star season, she had her mother's show under her belt, and she was dubbed "reality star Bristol Palin." I guess some people take that title to its literal extreme and hop from show to show, in different fields of endeavor. I'm waiting for one of them to appear on Project Runway or one of the voice contests.

I never thought that Bristol Palin should have ever appeared on DWTS. As far as 'teen activist', she worked with The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, to inform young people about the negative consequences of teenage pregnancy. She was chosen since she had a high profile teenage pregnancy, but I don't know how many single teen mothers could really relate to her IMHO.

If you read the Internet blogs at the time, the Tea Party folks rallied the votes to kept Bristol Palin on week after week just to make the liberals mad.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I never thought that Bristol Palin should have ever appeared on DWTS. As far as 'teen activist', she worked with The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, to inform young people about the negative consequences of teenage pregnancy. She was chosen since she had a high profile teenage pregnancy, but I don't know how many single teen mothers could really relate to her IMHO.
    I remember that this is what she was doing publicly. I don't know how active she was on a day-to-day basis, but she was affiliated with them. I didn't have any particular objection to her being on the show in the first place; after all, they have had much less likely contestants, some of whom turned out rather well. For example, I thought I'd dislike any Kardashian, but Rob gave it his all and threw himself into the spirit of the endeavor, and I ended up enjoying him. The same is true with Kelly Osbourne, who tried so hard and seemed ready to do anything asked of her. And, of all people Li'l Kim, the rapper, who also clearly worked her heart out in training and didn't play a diva with her partner, Derek. By contrast, Bristol seemed grudging and rather whiny, and she often seemed to comment that she was being persecuted by prejudiced people. I'm sure there were a lot of people out in the U.S. who disliked her on principle, but a lot of other folk are either more tolerant or just noncommittal, and she could have won them over. My verdict, especially after her second appearance on All-Stars, was "not ready for prime time."

Custom Title
    Well I think in general that some of these "celebrities" are invited on these shows just to ramp up viewership. Bristol Palin always struck me as a spoiled, self-centered little brat. I think the only reason she went on DWTS was for the money since her baby daddy wasn't providing anything!! I didn't like her mother but had nothing against her until she pulled so much attitude with her partner Mark. She can't dance. Period. But with whoever was calling in, the show's producers realized they had a bit of a bonanza with her.

Johnny, whether you like him or not (and I do, very much) has a quirky personality and did give it his all on the Rachel and Guy show. The other contestants appeared to like him and he got with the program. He didn't pull any diva stuff at all! Yes he dresses to whatever his sense of style is but he doesn't take himself seriously and he is fun to watch. I can see where people would tune in to that show just to see what he's wearing!! I know I will.

My objection to Bristol's 1st season was that I didn't feel she was a celebrity in her own right. While I don't recognize all of the 'stars' each season, they each had 'careers' that made them 'names' in some households. During season 1, Bristol's only claim to fame was being the daughter of an ex-vice-presidential candidate. Also, she didn't grow as much as the other celebrities and wasn't enjoying herself. I do believe she was invited back for a 2nd season as a controversial candidate - I was willing to give her a 2nd chance as she had some time to mature. However, her attitude didn't really change although she slightly improved in her dancing, which turned me off her even more. I just thank God that Kate Gosselin wasn't invited back.

Johnny had some minor diva moments on Rachel vs Guy when he didn't listen to his mentor's advice. Overall, I agree that he was trying hard and he did have some skills in the kitchen.

While Johnny seems a natural for reality shows I'd rather see him on DWTS. I cannot stand cooking under pressure shows with a bunch of ridiculous ingredients. I really refuse to watch most reality TV. It is all so copycat and not worth the time. I think Johnny would have been a better choice than Doro for DWTS. Dorothy is barely known anymore though DWTS has an older demographic. I think his brand of in your face gaiety would surely fire up the show. Other than Ally Raisman and Doro since I loved her beautiful old fashioned skills, it is to me a pretty uninteresting bunch.

Singing and dancing shows have intrinsic value despite the competition aspect that is every other show.

I hate that a show like 'SMASH' is so rare and unique. Clearly low budget fare is what they're selling, as my cable bill doubles. Makes me positively yearn for the cheesefest skating competitions of the 90's. Hard to believe we don't have the elites doing an American Battle of the Blades.

Michelle-front the money-we know you must still want to do something to revive skating. Reality skating-now I am sure they can sell that to Americans if we are all watching the other @rap!

Bristol Palin was a very poor dancer. Sarah would have been a coup and fun to snark about if she was as good as her kid.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    My objection to Bristol's 1st season was that I didn't feel she was a celebrity in her own right. While I don't recognize all of the 'stars' each season, they each had 'careers' that made them 'names' in some households. During season 1, Bristol's only claim to fame was being the daughter of an ex-vice-presidential candidate. Also, she didn't grow as much as the other celebrities and wasn't enjoying herself. I do believe she was invited back for a 2nd season as a controversial candidate - I was willing to give her a 2nd chance as she had some time to mature. However, her attitude didn't really change although she slightly improved in her dancing, which turned me off her even more. I just thank God that Kate Gosselin wasn't invited back.

Johnny had some minor diva moments on Rachel vs Guy when he didn't listen to his mentor's advice. Overall, I agree that he was trying hard and he did have some skills in the kitchen.
    Precisely because I don't agree with Palin and her family politically, I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt. If she'd thrown herself into the experience and treated Mark right (one of my favorite pro dancers--such a splendid choreographer!), I'd have rooted for her. I enjoyed Tucker Carlson for the day or so that he was on there. He didn't try to do much dancing, but he seemed to be enjoying himself. But Bristol was so whiny, very much like Kate Gosselin, whom I also came to dislike. Man, Buzz Aldrin tried harder, and he was about eighty years old.

It seemed as if Johnny took his task on the cooking show seriously enough to try really hard. I saw his limitations: didn't cook with certain ingredients, such as hot dogs; couldn't deal with children's dishes (or children!). But he clearly had some skills and a good temper. I love how well he and Dean got along. It was like watching a bear and a terrier puppy.

Custom Title
    OMG Olympia, you have me laughing outloud. Woke the cats! Watching a bear and a terrier puppy is so apt!

I guess I don't think not listening to your mentor is a "diva moment" though. I think Johnny worked within his frame of reference. And he was actually rewarded for that. The kids and the hot dogs were his undoing. It doesn't surprise me that he signed on for another cooking show because he seemed to really enjoy Guy and Rachel show.

Heyang - totally agree with you about Bristol. I do watch some reality shows (The Voice - LOVE Adam Levine) and it's clear they have a hidden agenda with some of the people they bring on. They KNEW Bristol would be controversial but her attitude and lack of wanting to work was disrespectful to Mark Ballas. She was only slightly better than Kate Gosselin. Both had the "ick" factor for me though. I would guess Johnny wouldn't go on DWTS until he's truly given up competitive figure skating. I read a blog he wrote for ESPN and he still wants to compete. He said he realized after watching Nationals this year that he has to work very, very hard to even be on the same ice. Time will tell. But I think he would be great on DWTS. He'd certainly love the costumes!!!! I would love to see him dance with Lacey Schwimmer or Chelsie Hightower.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2