Johnnie Weir to Cook again! | Golden Skate

Johnnie Weir to Cook again!

Oh, for pete's sake. He's not the next Escoffier. What's more, Chopped is incredibly fast-paced and pressurized. I've watched it from time to time, and experienced chefs fold like fans. It's the equivalent of a skating program where all the jumps have to be quads. I wish Johnny would take a course in techniques before he plunges in to this.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I watched Chopped last night.

The chefs had half an hour to make a desert containing plum tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, Mexican crema (sort of like creme fraiche), and some kind of root vegetable I'd never heard of.

Impossible.

And they have to make three courses, all with weird ingredients. They have to think fast and be able to leap into action at once, so they can't waste time trying to think of a technique to use; they have to know them all and be able to commence without a second thought. Just the knife skills they need to have--cutting in all kinds of textures in double-quick time without cutting themselves--are probably beyond even the most talented amateur.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, and I've seen several Chopped contestants cut themselves quite badly.

It is a brutal contest.

And the 3 judges are 3 Simon Cowell clones, all pretty nasty.

lavender

Record Breaker
Yeah I saw Johnny on that cooking competition recently and I would say he needs more training too. Chopped is hard and I've watched almost all of those episodes.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Why are you all assuming that his competitors will be skilled chefs/cooks? My guess is that the other celebrities may be on a par with Johnny. He's not a bad cook. He may be up against a lesser known comedian, a football player, a back-up singer, etc., etc.

So you're saying it might be a celebrity Chopped? I didn't think of that. That would be different, because allowances would be made.

emma

Record Breaker
Well, for the episode featuring celebrities - it might be more of an 'even field' and perhaps they will give easier baskets or something like that; but what struck me as a bit odd is that the season features three episodes with really well known chefs (and I'm sooooo going to have high hopes for Chef Faulkner) and then the celebrity episdoe, and then it says Finale. I wonder if the winning celeb will go to the finale - that seems like that would be super difficult and unnerving.

noskates

Record Breaker
I watched the Rachel and Guy show and thought Johnny was quite entertaining. And he took the cooking seriously. His downfall was when he had to cook for kids. Not only had he never had a hot dog in his life - he didn't know how to cook them. I'm thinking that this Celebrity Chopped might be a better fit because you're rewarded for creativity. More power to him if he can make some money and you know he'll never be boring!

lavender

Record Breaker
I watched the Rachel and Guy show and thought Johnny was quite entertaining. And he took the cooking seriously. His downfall was when he had to cook for kids. Not only had he never had a hot dog in his life - he didn't know how to cook them. I'm thinking that this Celebrity Chopped might be a better fit because you're rewarded for creativity. More power to him if he can make some money and you know he'll never be boring!

Maybe you're right and Johnny was funny....him and his hairstyles.:laugh:

heyang

Record Breaker
So you're saying it might be a celebrity Chopped? I didn't think of that. That would be different, because allowances would be made.

During the 1st round, Johnny would be competing against other celebrities. There will be 4 1st rounds and the winners of each go to the finale.

The other celebrities and professionals are noted in the link in the initial post.

Chop recently had an episode of all home cooks. The items they had to use weren't as challenging as other episodes IMHO. However, there are some home chefs who really do expose themselves to a wide variety of food items and cooking techniques. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Personally, I think they should've asked Brian Boitano. He has a cooking show and cookbook.

heyang

Record Breaker
For those of you who don't want to click on the link:

Part 1: "Food Network vs. Cooking Channel" Premieres Sunday, April 7 at 9 PM ET/PT
Competitors: Nadia G., Jeff Mauro, Gabriele Corcos, Sunny Anderson
Judges: Chris Santos, Geoffrey Zakarian, Maneet Chauhan

Part 2: "Mega Chefs" Premieres Sunday, April 14 at 9 PM ET/PT
Competitors: Elizabeth Falkner, Chuck Hughes, Gavin Kaysen, Richard Blais
Judges: Chris Santos, Marcus Samuelsson, Maneet Chauhan

Part 3: "Chopped Judges" Premieres Sunday, April 21 at 9 PM ET/PT
Competitors: Alex Guarnaschelli, Amanda Freitag, Scott Conant, Marc Murphy
Judges: Aarón Sánchez, Geoffrey Zakarian, Marcus Samuelsson

Part 4: "Celebrities" Premieres Sunday, April 28 at 9 PM ET/PT
Competitors: Johnny Weir, Joey Fatone, Laila Ali, Judy Gold
Judges: Maneet Chauhan, Geoffrey Zakarian, Marcus Samuelsson

Joey Fatone - former boy bander, contestant on DWTS twice and TV show host.
Laila Ali - Muhammed Ali's daughter, competed 1 season of DWTS, former boxer
Judy Gold??

Okay, this makes a lot more sense. I can see Johnny competing against contestants like this. I stand corrected. Thanks for the info!

I don't know whether you folks remember the season Bristol Palin was on DWTS. In the intro to each show, as the couples come onto the stage, the announcer always "labels" each celebrity to identify him or her. Bristol had no credentials whatever at that point, so they always called her "teen activist Bristol Palin." It made her sound as though she spent her days at St. Jude's Hospital, or in sub-Saharan Africa. When she returned for her all-star season, she had her mother's show under her belt, and she was dubbed "reality star Bristol Palin." I guess some people take that title to its literal extreme and hop from show to show, in different fields of endeavor. I'm waiting for one of them to appear on Project Runway or one of the voice contests.

heyang

Record Breaker
I never thought that Bristol Palin should have ever appeared on DWTS. As far as 'teen activist', she worked with The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, to inform young people about the negative consequences of teenage pregnancy. She was chosen since she had a high profile teenage pregnancy, but I don't know how many single teen mothers could really relate to her IMHO.

If you read the Internet blogs at the time, the Tea Party folks rallied the votes to kept Bristol Palin on week after week just to make the liberals mad. :laugh:

I never thought that Bristol Palin should have ever appeared on DWTS. As far as 'teen activist', she worked with The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, to inform young people about the negative consequences of teenage pregnancy. She was chosen since she had a high profile teenage pregnancy, but I don't know how many single teen mothers could really relate to her IMHO.

I remember that this is what she was doing publicly. I don't know how active she was on a day-to-day basis, but she was affiliated with them. I didn't have any particular objection to her being on the show in the first place; after all, they have had much less likely contestants, some of whom turned out rather well. For example, I thought I'd dislike any Kardashian, but Rob gave it his all and threw himself into the spirit of the endeavor, and I ended up enjoying him. The same is true with Kelly Osbourne, who tried so hard and seemed ready to do anything asked of her. And, of all people Li'l Kim, the rapper, who also clearly worked her heart out in training and didn't play a diva with her partner, Derek. By contrast, Bristol seemed grudging and rather whiny, and she often seemed to comment that she was being persecuted by prejudiced people. I'm sure there were a lot of people out in the U.S. who disliked her on principle, but a lot of other folk are either more tolerant or just noncommittal, and she could have won them over. My verdict, especially after her second appearance on All-Stars, was "not ready for prime time."