Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: From Russia with skates: Ice dancer crosses the Atlantic

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,589

    News From Russia with skates: Ice dancer crosses the Atlantic

    Too often, we take for granted what we have in Canada, rarely stopping to think about the freedoms we enjoy. Today, part one of a two-part story about a man who takes nothing for granted, a man who left his home and family behind, traveling thousands of miles to forge a new life in Canada.

    More

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,621
    Lol they're writing about Moscow like It was 70's soviet union Moscow! How old is this guy?

  3. #3
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,428
    I'm not Russian, but I don't like this article and Denis. He speaks as if he would have lived in Moscow during the communist era. And the Canadians will love this story, and Dennis will have a good start. He moved to Canada because of financial reasons. Moscow is a very exciting city, many people say " Moscow never sleeps". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doKpZnkZAwc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFucbIpEFoM. Incredible beautiful (but for me St. Petersbourgh is more beautiful), and every global companies are already there.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 02-27-2013 at 03:03 AM.

  4. #4
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,300
    He's a coach in Chillawack, BC
    http://www.cheamskating.com/coaches.php

    So maybe it was Soviet era Moscow.

    There is apparently, another article in this series coming.


    I
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 02-27-2013 at 05:42 AM.

  5. #5
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,428
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    He's a coach in Chillawack, BC
    http://www.cheamskating.com/coaches.php

    So maybe it was Soviet era Moscow.

    There is apparently, another article in this series coming.


    I
    THX! I understand.

  6. #6
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    28,102
    I think he came to Canada sometime around 2007, when he was in his early twenties? He competed in ice dance in Canada with Natalie Rithaler in the 2007-08 season, but they did not make Nationals. Their coach was Victor Kraatz.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Greater Boston, MA
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I'm not Russian, but I don't like this article and Denis. He speaks as if he would have lived in Moscow during the communist era. And the Canadians will love this story, and Dennis will have a good start. He moved to Canada because of financial reasons. Moscow is a very exciting city, many people say " Moscow never sleeps". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doKpZnkZAwc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFucbIpEFoM. Incredible beautiful (but for me St. Petersbourgh is more beautiful), and every global companies are already there.

    Actually I read recently that life in post-Soviet Russia hasn't improved as much as most Westerners think. Yeah, there are a lot of rich people in Moscow and Petersburg, some of whom found ways to make money off the post-Soviet collapse. But the average Russian salary is less than $800 a month, and most people are still living in the same crummy, tiny apartments common in Soviet times. Here's a relevant article: http://www.itar-tass.com/en/c39/266542.html. (It's from 2011, so a little out of date, but not much.)

  8. #8
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,428
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    Actually I read recently that life in post-Soviet Russia hasn't improved as much as most Westerners think. Yeah, there are a lot of rich people in Moscow and Petersburg, some of whom found ways to make money off the post-Soviet collapse. But the average Russian salary is less than $800 a month, and most people are still living in the same crummy, tiny apartments common in Soviet times. Here's a relevant article: http://www.itar-tass.com/en/c39/266542.html. (It's from 2011, so a little out of date, but not much.)
    Maybe.. But I think the situation is similar in New York, a lot of poor people live there. And in many other big cities. Maybe the apartements are tiny, but they can live in them. Moscow population of cca 10 million.
    The situation has not changed in the countryside, but Denis lived in Moscow.

    _____

    In the Soviet era the pay was very low, but the life also was very cheap. In that era among people was not too much difference. Now there are many rich and poor people, who live in very different circumstances. This is the reason why many people love that era even today, everyone had a job, everyone had health insurance for little money etc. I know, because I was born and I live in a former eastern block.. But I'm sure Let's talk will tell us her opinion.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 02-27-2013 at 03:34 PM.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,621
    First of all I am not sure how much of a career he would have if he didn't have the cache of being a Russian ice dancer with that training when he was younger. So he's done very well for being one of those Russians for rent or whatever that term was. "rent a Russian" so you know have some respect for where you come from even if Russian standard of living is no canadian standard of living and don't act like Russia is forever in post soviet disarray and there's been no improvement because there has.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •