2013 Junior Worlds Pairs SP | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2013 Junior Worlds Pairs SP

Mirunna

Record Breaker
G/B did bomb their first JGP event but their score at their second event was similar to what the other Russian Junior pairs were getting during the series. They beat V/Z at Russian nationals and D/D were injured so there was no good reason not to send G/B to this event. Implying their selection was due to nepotism is pathetic. G/B went for some of the most ambitious side-by-side jumps we've seen in pairs (junior or senior) this season: 3Lz+2T and 3T, landing both. In comparison, F/M and V/Z have never attempted ANY sbs triples, ever.

Yes, they do try the most difficult elements, it's true. But I still think the third place should have gone to either D/D or V/Z, based on the season results. Isn't Russia's policy that third place on nationals does not necessarily mean a spot on the team? D/D and V/Z got medals on both their JGP, got medals on the JGPF beating the top two couples here, not to mention D/D already got a bronze from last year and are more experienced. And V/Z, while they don't try a triple jump(she is still very young, only 13 years old), have an amazing consistency, I don't think I've seen them fall this season.
Last year, if I recall correctly, in ice dance, a russian couple who placed third on junior nationals stayed home while the couple in forth place went to Jr Worlds thanks to their better results that season (and were very close to the podium, placed forth I believe). Tarasova/Morozov also failed to medal at their JGP and have constant problems with their LP, the only good one I remember from them was from Senior Nationals.
Anyway, on the other hand, it's true G/B went for broke at nationals(they had a fall in the SP) and had an amazing LP, I am sure their place on the team has nothing to do with nepotism. My opinion is that they had a much stronger team at Sochi than here, and so far, I was right.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Yu-Jin: finally a good skate, after a not-so-good season! :clap: That was really a wonderful program, really refined, now they have to learn how to put passion in their performances...
P/M were far more mature in the interpretation, but they need a bit more transitions...