2013 Junior Worlds Men SP | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2013 Junior Worlds Men SP

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Finally watched Shoma Uno. FABULOUS presentation and that step sequence was to die for :love: . His interpretation is really quite amazing and I feel like he is maybe not quite getting the component marks he deserves from the judges, likely due to his being so diminutive and lacking a 3a. But wow he really is such a talent, mini Takahashi in the making.

Kittosuni

Medalist
WOW! I love Martinez!!!

I wonder where this young man practices and his coach' background. He has nice transitions and seems to always trying to perform. Just need improvement on speed and jumps. He would benefit a lot if he goes to morozova or osner. Or maybe he just doesnt have the means to go to those highly profiled coaches. He need a very technical coach.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I wonder where this young man practices and his coach' background. He has nice transitions and seems to always trying to perform. Just need improvement on speed and jumps. He would benefit a lot if he goes to morozova or osner. Or maybe he just doesnt have the means to go to those highly profiled coaches. He need a very technical coach.
According to his ISU bio, Martinez trains primarily in the Philippines with his mother and spends a couple of months a year in the US with Ilia Kulik and John Nicks. I doubt he can afford to relocate to the US and even if he could, I don't think Orser and Morozov are a magic solution for every skater in existence. Certainly not Morozov.

Note that Martinez is younger than the top three skaters, started skating at a later age, comes from a non-skating country, and continues to train there most of them time. I think that a 4th place SP is pretty astounding under those circumstances. He must be extremely talented and hard-working.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
^^^^^^^
ITA.

A very impressive young guy. At least one, if not both, of Jason & Josh will be going senior next year; we could see Martinez medalling at Jr Worlds next year & he might well win one of the JGP's.

skatel80

On the Ice
The top 4 were absolutely amazing! Josh was spectacular as usual, I definately did not expect so much from Omori (given that this is his first trip to junior worlds) and I loved how the grin on his face got bigger and bigger with every jump he landed! :) Jason was great, Im not a fan of this program but he sells it well as always and that 3a was just great!
Martinez is amazing! I cant believe such a huge talent has come out of the phillipines, his spins are out of this world and his 3a seems to be a really solid jump for him, so pleased to see him in fourth place!:clap:

Kittosuni

Medalist
According to his ISU bio, Martinez trains primarily in the Philippines with his mother and spends a couple of months a year in the US with Ilia Kulik and John Nicks. I doubt he can afford to relocate to the US and even if he could, I don't think Orser and Morozov are a magic solution for every skater in existence. Certainly not Morozov.

Note that Martinez is younger than the top three skaters, started skating at a later age, comes from a non-skating country, and continues to train there most of them time. I think that a 4th place SP is pretty astounding under those circumstances. He must be extremely talented and hard-working.

Thank you i just read his bio! I grew up in the philippines and I can really tell those Skating rinks in the shopping malls are very popular and always crowded. People get excited with the ice since its a tropical country and always hot there. Based on my knowledge there are only 2 Skating rinks in the City and maybe in the whole country (mall of asia and Mega mall) and the fee is very expensive. So it must be extremely hard to practice in the ice with bunch of people like i have seen when I was there not too long ago. Those 2 months he spend in the U.S is maybe during summer break which is april and may. Im pretty sure his family is well off since they are usually the only one who can afford for practice and stuff. Hope he will skate good in the FS. Just proud of him.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Seeing all those 6 in PCS for Uno and Farris and remembering 7 of Aaron :slink: One more chance to see how stupid CoP is.

Hino was punished severely for his 1Lu in combo. Which means there is only one coach whose pupil can make the same mistake and still finished top in the segment. :laugh:

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Seeing all those 6 in PCS for Uno and Farris and remembering 7 of Aaron :slink: One more chance to see how stupid CoP is.

Hino was punished severely for his 1Lu in combo. Which means there is only one coach whose pupil can make the same mistake and still finished top in the segment. :laugh:

Yes, well that one also landed a huge 4T and a 3A, not to mention the huge difference in quality on virtually every element and the overall skating.
I agree about COP being stupid sometimes.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
Yes, well that one also landed a huge 4T and a 3A, not to mention the huge difference in quality on virtually every element and the overall skating.
I agree about COP being stupid sometimes.
There were others with 4T and 3A as well, but without 1Lu in combo. Yeah, CoP is stupid.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

4th place at the world championships is great for any skater under any circumstances. What happened to that little guy from Canada - Nam? Did he grow - I expected more from him.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Finally watched Shoma Uno. FABULOUS presentation and that step sequence was to die for :love: . His interpretation is really quite amazing and I feel like he is maybe not quite getting the component marks he deserves from the judges, likely due to his being so diminutive and lacking a 3a. But wow he really is such a talent, mini Takahashi in the making.

:agree: Let's hope Shoma will grow as tall as Daisuke in two or three years. :) ('cause his bio says he is 143cm which means a bit smaller than Satoko...) Dai in real life is also small and slender; almost same height as Mao and Miki but he looks much much bigger once on the ice, you know. ;)

To be more serious, I think Shoma should have a good jump coach asap. Someone like Takeshi Honda, or Mr. Nagakubo if he wants to stay in Nagoya with his family. He needs to correct his wierd technique of jumps; hitting the ice by hard toe-kicking on his flip/lutz. I always fear he will injure his anckle or instep of his foot once he grows.

mskater93

Record Breaker
4th place at the world championships is great for any skater under any circumstances. What happened to that little guy from Canada - Nam? Did he grow - I expected more from him.
Nam has some really unusual jumping technique which is starting to hurt him. I noticed it on the JGP last season. (Thanks to Joanne McLeod)...:bang:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nam has some really unusual jumping technique which is starting to hurt him. I noticed it on the JGP last season. (Thanks to Joanne McLeod)...:bang:

Well I hope that now he's with Orser perhaps some of those issues could be worked out.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Brown really improved his 3A. Enough height, the setup wasn't painfully slow like Adam Rippon.
His PCS should have been higher than Farris.

CoP isn't stupid. The judges are. :p

It could work really well, the problem is with how it's getting applied.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
:agree: Let's hope Shoma will grow as tall as Daisuke in two or three years. :) ('cause his bio says he is 143cm which means a bit smaller than Satoko...) Dai in real life is also small and slender; almost same height as Mao and Miki but he looks much much bigger once on the ice, you know. ;)

To be more serious, I think Shoma should have a good jump coach asap. Someone like Takeshi Honda, or Mr. Nagakubo if he wants to stay in Nagoya with his family. He needs to correct his wierd technique of jumps; hitting the ice by hard toe-kicking on his flip/lutz. I always fear he will injure his anckle or instep of his foot once he grows.

Yes he has Yamada technique. He is a good jumper but his exits need more oomph and there is some mule kicking going on there, I'm hoping some of this will improve as he grows and gets stronger (the guy probably weighs 80 lbs at most :p), but I agree, with a good jump coach, he could be a total rockstar. And yes, his height is somewhat concerning, however, when you consider that Machida, Oda, and Takahashi are all between 161 and 165 cm fully grown, Uno's size at 15 is not so alarming. He is so special though already I do hope Yamada jump technique does not do him in before his career has a chance to really take off.

Also, these comments about Brown's PCS deserving to be higher than Farris, I'm a bit surprised. Farris has better SS, TR, basics, and edge control IMO, the other categories I think it's a toss up, so overall it comes out to be pretty even which is the case here. To me Farris is the stronger skater and Brown is just more of an extroverted performer, so he grabs your attention more, but I don't necessarily think he deserves higher PCS, it's just a difference of styles.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tastes differ.

Why would that surprise anyone?

Farris has a floppy look/no body tension look that drives me nuts. This is a silly thought, but somehow I feel like he is skating in a costume that is soaking wet, that needs to be wrung out. His skating lacks crispness & defined movement in a lot of spots.

His step sequence in his SP is interminably long for me, too. He doesn't engage with the music and especially not with the beat, the way Brown does.

Some people notice the beat, others the melody. For me, if you're not on the beat, it drives me crazy. (A relic of watching a lot of dance, where skating to the beat, not the melody, is a requirement).

Farris has gorgeous jump technique. And other good stuff. But there is little that is interesting about his choreo in any way for me.

So for me he should not have as high PE, INT, & CH marks that Jason gets.

He needs another choreographer IMO, but because his current situation is working well for him, it won't happen, for sure.