2013 Junior Worlds Men SP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013 Junior Worlds Men SP

Country
Russia
Honestly I don't think anyone in this field is capable of toppling Joshua and Jason when they're both skating well. The question mark over Jason is always the 3A - will he land it, if he doesn't, how much damage will it do, etc. But beyond the jumps and spins, Joshua and Jason also both skate with a presence and quality that the other skaters don't yet have. They're still Junior by level, but definitely they are both Senior level skaters in terms of their maturity.

EDIT:

Well, I stand corrected.

1. Jason is 3rd in SP. Almost clean skating, new Personal Best, but third.

2. Mature Senior Man must have quad.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
1. Jason is 3rd in SP. Almost clean skating, new Personal Best, but third.

2. Mature Senior Man must have quad.

Actually, no, it wasn't almost clean. Jason botched his combo (though he still completed one) -- he lost 4 points w/ the loss in BV and -GOE. He would have been around 74 with a clean program and that's with NO GOE on that combo (he usually gets +1 at least for it due to his interesting entry). So I think he would be right up there with Josh if he didn't botch the combo, not to mention that he lost a level on his final spin (which karne noted earlier).

Yes, he needs the quad, but one thing at a time, right? He may not have the all the jumps, but he's still in the game because of everything else.

ETA: Not correct to say he doesn't have the jump because he has most of the jumps and it looks like he progressing on the 3A though it's clear it's a work in progress given the telegraphed entry.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Did Shotaro ever skate clean FS?

Not yet, but this season he keeps getting better and better with each event so who knows! He plans two 3a in his FS, his GOE on the 3a was the highest of all men in the SP, and PCS are not that much below Brown and Farris. I think he can finish 2nd or 3rd overall, maybe even win if Josh has problems. So excited for the US guys!

Oh and don't count out Kolyada, Jin, and Hino yet, they could all pull up with a strong FS, they all have difficult content planned, especially Jin!!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I did not get a chance to watch, unfortunately meetings at work. Thanks to everyone for the pbp.

Congrats to Farris, Omuri and Brown. Looking forward to seeing the videos especially Martinez.

Happy that Panfili made the FS!

zydeco88

On the Ice
I always get this Daisuke vibe whenever I see Shoma Uno skate, and I don't know if that's a good thing because I think he needs to develop his own style and identity to truly stand out. Adored the choreography for Jason's Prince SP the best. Great choice of music (I'm starting to get bored of some of the overused music like the one used for Oomori's prog, so it's breath of fresh air), lots of out-of-the-box movements that really went well with tempos of the music and made the prog really entertaining to watch, and he has such a great range of movements and body levels. If only he could get over the problems with his jumps. Love all the US guys and of course, Martinez.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Joshua FARRIS (USA) - 75.84 Short Program
2. Shotaro OMORI (USA) - 70.82 Short Program
3. Jason BROWN (USA) - 70.06 Short Program
4. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 67.01 Short Program
5. Alexander SAMARIN (RUS) - 63.07
6. Boyang JIN (CHN) - 62.82
7. Shoma UNO (JPN) - 61.66 Short Program
8. Mikhail KOLYADA (RUS) - 61.50
9. He ZHANG (CHN) - 60.42 Short Program
10. Pavel IGNATENKO (BLR) - 59.73 Short Program
11. Martin RAPPE (GER) - 59.44
12. Ryuju HINO (JPN) - 57.71 Short Program
13. June Hyoung LEE (KOR) - 54.15 Short Program
14. Simon HOCQUAUX (FRA) - 54.14
15. Mitchell GORDON (CAN) - 54.04
16. Nam NGUYEN (CAN) - 53.43 Short Program

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Joshua FARRIS (USA) - 75.84 Short Program
2. Shotaro OMORI (USA) - 70.82 Short Program
3. Jason BROWN (USA) - 70.06 Short Program
4. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 67.01 Short Program
5. Alexander SAMARIN (RUS) - 63.07
6. Boyang JIN (CHN) - 62.82
7. Shoma UNO (JPN) - 61.66 Short Program
8. Mikhail KOLYADA (RUS) - 61.50
9. He ZHANG (CHN) - 60.42 Short Program
10. Pavel IGNATENKO (BLR) - 59.73 Short Program
11. Martin RAPPE (GER) - 59.44
12. Ryuju HINO (JPN) - 57.71 Short Program
13. June Hyoung LEE (KOR) - 54.15 Short Program
14. Simon HOCQUAUX (FRA) - 54.14
15. Mitchell GORDON (CAN) - 54.04
16. Nam NGUYEN (CAN) - 53.43 Short Program

Thank you Mao88!!!!!!! :love:

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I was hoping that Mitchell Gordon can get Canada into the top six nations to get more JGP spots, but right now Canada's on the bubble in tenth. Fingers crossed for a good FS.

Loved Martinez and Farris. Brown was probably undermarked (though I hope Mrs. P doesn't read that)

Brown was probably undermarked (though I hope Mrs. P doesn't read that)

I think he was. Definitely deserves the highest PE, CH and IN marks.

Still, he has largely himself to blame. Had he landed the combo, his PCS would have probably been in the 7s and he might have beaten Farris.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's true, but I'm just thrilled he landed the best triple axel of his competitve career to date.

Like many a skater, the rush of adrenalin from conquering something that had eluded him, he somewhat botched the next jump, but nonetheless, I am just thrilled for Jason. I'm also thrilled that his lutz did not get an edge call, another thing that he occasionally has trouble with.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgptur2012/jgptur2012_JuniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I am so unbelievably unexcited that Mr. Brown landed that triple axel so beautifully. And dare I say, this was the best I've seen him perform this program. There just seems to be an extra zip to it. He's certainly come a long way from when he and some of us skate fans doubted and wondered if he could ever do a triple axel.