Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Junior Worlds Men SP

Custom Title
    Finally watched Shoma Uno. FABULOUS presentation and that step sequence was to die for . His interpretation is really quite amazing and I feel like he is maybe not quite getting the component marks he deserves from the judges, likely due to his being so diminutive and lacking a 3a. But wow he really is such a talent, mini Takahashi in the making.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    WOW! I love Martinez!!!
    I wonder where this young man practices and his coach' background. He has nice transitions and seems to always trying to perform. Just need improvement on speed and jumps. He would benefit a lot if he goes to morozova or osner. Or maybe he just doesnt have the means to go to those highly profiled coaches. He need a very technical coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittosuni View Post
    I wonder where this young man practices and his coach' background. He has nice transitions and seems to always trying to perform. Just need improvement on speed and jumps. He would benefit a lot if he goes to morozova or osner. Or maybe he just doesnt have the means to go to those highly profiled coaches. He need a very technical coach.
    According to his ISU bio, Martinez trains primarily in the Philippines with his mother and spends a couple of months a year in the US with Ilia Kulik and John Nicks. I doubt he can afford to relocate to the US and even if he could, I don't think Orser and Morozov are a magic solution for every skater in existence. Certainly not Morozov.

Note that Martinez is younger than the top three skaters, started skating at a later age, comes from a non-skating country, and continues to train there most of them time. I think that a 4th place SP is pretty astounding under those circumstances. He must be extremely talented and hard-working.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    ^^^^^^^
    ITA.

A very impressive young guy. At least one, if not both, of Jason & Josh will be going senior next year; we could see Martinez medalling at Jr Worlds next year & he might well win one of the JGP's.

Custom Title
    The top 4 were absolutely amazing! Josh was spectacular as usual, I definately did not expect so much from Omori (given that this is his first trip to junior worlds) and I loved how the grin on his face got bigger and bigger with every jump he landed! Jason was great, Im not a fan of this program but he sells it well as always and that 3a was just great!
    Martinez is amazing! I cant believe such a huge talent has come out of the phillipines, his spins are out of this world and his 3a seems to be a really solid jump for him, so pleased to see him in fourth place!

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    According to his ISU bio, Martinez trains primarily in the Philippines with his mother and spends a couple of months a year in the US with Ilia Kulik and John Nicks. I doubt he can afford to relocate to the US and even if he could, I don't think Orser and Morozov are a magic solution for every skater in existence. Certainly not Morozov.

Note that Martinez is younger than the top three skaters, started skating at a later age, comes from a non-skating country, and continues to train there most of them time. I think that a 4th place SP is pretty astounding under those circumstances. He must be extremely talented and hard-working.
    Thank you i just read his bio! I grew up in the philippines and I can really tell those Skating rinks in the shopping malls are very popular and always crowded. People get excited with the ice since its a tropical country and always hot there. Based on my knowledge there are only 2 Skating rinks in the City and maybe in the whole country (mall of asia and Mega mall) and the fee is very expensive. So it must be extremely hard to practice in the ice with bunch of people like i have seen when I was there not too long ago. Those 2 months he spend in the U.S is maybe during summer break which is april and may. Im pretty sure his family is well off since they are usually the only one who can afford for practice and stuff. Hope he will skate good in the FS. Just proud of him.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    In case you missed it, GS had an interview with Chris Martinez in Sept. 2012
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/09/m...igure-skating/

Banned
    Seeing all those 6 in PCS for Uno and Farris and remembering 7 of Aaron One more chance to see how stupid CoP is.

Hino was punished severely for his 1Lu in combo. Which means there is only one coach whose pupil can make the same mistake and still finished top in the segment.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Seeing all those 6 in PCS for Uno and Farris and remembering 7 of Aaron One more chance to see how stupid CoP is.

Hino was punished severely for his 1Lu in combo. Which means there is only one coach whose pupil can make the same mistake and still finished top in the segment.
    Yes, well that one also landed a huge 4T and a 3A, not to mention the huge difference in quality on virtually every element and the overall skating.
    I agree about COP being stupid sometimes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirunna View Post
    Yes, well that one also landed a huge 4T and a 3A, not to mention the huge difference in quality on virtually every element and the overall skating.
    I agree about COP being stupid sometimes.
    There were others with 4T and 3A as well, but without 1Lu in combo. Yeah, CoP is stupid.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

4th place at the world championships is great for any skater under any circumstances. What happened to that little guy from Canada - Nam? Did he grow - I expected more from him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Finally watched Shoma Uno. FABULOUS presentation and that step sequence was to die for . His interpretation is really quite amazing and I feel like he is maybe not quite getting the component marks he deserves from the judges, likely due to his being so diminutive and lacking a 3a. But wow he really is such a talent, mini Takahashi in the making.
    Let's hope Shoma will grow as tall as Daisuke in two or three years. ('cause his bio says he is 143cm which means a bit smaller than Satoko...) Dai in real life is also small and slender; almost same height as Mao and Miki but he looks much much bigger once on the ice, you know.

To be more serious, I think Shoma should have a good jump coach asap. Someone like Takeshi Honda, or Mr. Nagakubo if he wants to stay in Nagoya with his family. He needs to correct his wierd technique of jumps; hitting the ice by hard toe-kicking on his flip/lutz. I always fear he will injure his anckle or instep of his foot once he grows.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    4th place at the world championships is great for any skater under any circumstances. What happened to that little guy from Canada - Nam? Did he grow - I expected more from him.
    Nam has some really unusual jumping technique which is starting to hurt him. I noticed it on the JGP last season. (Thanks to Joanne McLeod)...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Nam has some really unusual jumping technique which is starting to hurt him. I noticed it on the JGP last season. (Thanks to Joanne McLeod)...
    Well I hope that now he's with Orser perhaps some of those issues could be worked out.

Custom Title
    Brown really improved his 3A. Enough height, the setup wasn't painfully slow like Adam Rippon.
    His PCS should have been higher than Farris.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast