Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: 2013 Junior Worlds Free Dance

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    IMO, Edwards / Pang are doomed as a pair. She is outgrowing him, and he is too slight to be able to handle a larger partner. Both of their falls came on lifts, and that is too dangerous.
    People said the exact same thing about Virtue and Moir when they were at this age. Maddison is 16 and Zhao is 17, so I'm thinking there's a much better chance of him growing than her. Besides, I've never seen them go down on a lift before yesterday. I wouldn't doom them yet.

Banned
    ^ Lol. I am sure Voir is not the best example here.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Probably the best example of a same size couple is Tai Babilonia & Randy Gardner back in the day.

If a couple is going to be close to the same size, their timing has to be spot on, and the guy's footwork during a lift impeccable.

Both couples mentioned are very talented, but I worry about them a bit.

I would not give up on the guys growing quite yet either. My father, my youngest son & my husband all kept growing into their early 20's. It happens.

What does that mean "it factor"?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    What does that mean "it factor"?
    Something that draws your eyes to them beyond their skating. For example, Plushenko had that "it" factor from a very young age. The amount of technical ability, of course, but that charisma and presence to really take charge and fill an arena.

I think Edwards/Pang will be okay in terms of growth. This isn't like Bruser/Lum, where the age difference and her height basically told everyone that she'd get too tall for him (they've split up already).. And yes, people were concerned about Virtue outgrowing Moir.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Probably the best example of a same size couple is Tai Babilonia & Randy Gardner back in the day.

I would come up with a better example than Babilonia / Gardner, in the current era of the ice dance.
    The Kerr's and Faiella / Scali were quite close in heigth, so they had to come up with more inventive lifts, while their range was more limited.
    But I am not that gloomy about Edwards/Pang prospects. One bad outing doesn't make a trend. They did just fine with the same routine in Istanbul and Courchevel.
    Also, I think Edwards is pretty much done with growing, she looks filled to me and usually ladies don't grow after 16 ( I had classmates who were done at 13), while guys keep on growing towards 20.
    Pang could work on his upperbody strength though, he looks too slim and he should do that, as I am sure most of male ice dancers do that these days.
    Last edited by herios; 03-04-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm sure that Pang will fill out somewhat, which is all he needs. I used Babilonia & Gardner, because
    1. They were a pair, and the lifting is even tougher for the guy than in dance
    2. They did manage to be World Champions in pairs
    3. They look like not only the same height, but the same weight, which is why their pull Arabians were so special

I like both Kerr & Kerr and Faiella & Scali, but what was special about both teams was not the lifts. They managed level 4 stock lifts (at least most of the time). F&S and K&K both did gender bender lifts; Faiella dropped Scali a couple times AFAIR, but once COP came in, gender bender lifts disappeared except as choreographic lifts.

Virtue & Moir, whose lifts are special and creative, BTW, are a better example of dance lifts for same size people. If you look at how they are done, there is not that much lifting, per se, done by Scott. Scott steadies Tessa and holds her up, or controls her dropping/sliding to a dfferent, lower, level, but typically she either steps or jumps or does a handstand onto him.

The original Goose: Tessa jumps on and off of Scott's legs while he's in a cantilever spread eagle

The 1st lift in Carmen-Tessa jumps up on Scott, and using the motion of her leg to gain upward momentum & assist Scott, is almost tossed in the air
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEJK...tailpage#t=67s
    The 2nd lift in Carmen-Tessa jumps into a handstand on Scott, then folds up over onto his shoulders, into the rotational part of the lift
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEJK...ailpage#t=353s
    The 3rd lift in Carmen-much harder to describe, but again, Tessa is jumping onto Scott
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEJK...ailpage#t=435s

Custom Title
    So it was Tessa who aborted the lift (she didn't jump up), causing the stop at 4CC. All the more reason why they shouldn't have been allowed to redo that lift.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    Something that draws your eyes to them beyond their skating. For example, Plushenko had that "it" factor from a very young age. The amount of technical ability, of course, but that charisma and presence to really take charge and fill an arena.

I think Edwards/Pang will be okay in terms of growth. This isn't like Bruser/Lum, where the age difference and her height basically told everyone that she'd get too tall for him (they've split up already).. And yes, people were concerned about Virtue outgrowing Moir.
    Thanks for your answer. I understand, when I can't take my eyes of the skaters. For me S/B have it factor.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 03-04-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7