2013 Junior Worlds Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2013 Junior Worlds Free Dance

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:eek::disapp: I haven't had the courage to watch Maddy and Zhao Kai yet. Maybe it was a good thing I couldn't watch live .
so many diasters for so many of my faves this year...ouch!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I have to say that I didn't really like P/C's FD earlier this season, but yesterday they were fantastic! A lot better than S/B, for me! Yes they have the "it" factor and I hope they will have a great Senior debut!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I have to say that I didn't really like P/C's FD earlier this season, but yesterday they were fantastic! A lot better than S/B, for me! Yes they have the "it" factor and I hope they will have a great Senior debut!

the commetators wont shut up about Ivan being Andrei's Son and keep compparing his music choices and performances to his dad. huge pressure there
I can see Alexandra and Ivan getting an Olympic Ticket in Sochi , Tkachenko/Riazanova isnt a solid No. 3 Russian

FSGMT

Record Breaker
the commetators wont shut up about Ivan being Andrei's Son and keep compparing his music choices and performances to his dad. huge pressure there
I can see Alexandra and Ivan getting an Olympic Ticket in Sochi , Tkachenko/Riazanova isnt a solid No. 3 Russian
But I hope they will choose something better for the FD next season, this Flamenco Bolero is really horrible...

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Alexandra STEPANOVA & Ivan BUKIN (RUS) - 150.17 Free Dance
2. Gabriella PAPADAKIS & Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) - 143.26 Free Dance
3. Alexandra ALDRIDGE & Daniel EATON (USA) - 139.33 Free Dance
4. Valeria ZENKOVA & Valerie SINITSIN (RUS) - 132.17 Free Dance
5. Mackenzie BENT & Garrett MACKEEN (CAN) - 128.79 Free Dance
6. Evgenia KOSIGINA & Nikolai MOROSHKIN (RUS) - 126.19 Free Dance
7. Kaitlin HAWAYEK & Jean-Luc BAKER (USA) - 124.35 Free Dance
8. Shari KOCH & Christian NÜCHTERN (GER) - 121.71 Free Dance
9. Lorraine MCNAMARA & Quinn CARPENTER (USA) - 121.27 Free Dance
10. Anna NAGORNYUK & Viktor KOVALENKO (UZB) - 120.07 Free Dance
11. Alexandra NAZAROVA & Maxim NIKITIN (UKR) - 119.15
12. Madeline EDWARDS & Zhao Kai PANG (CAN) - 117.65 Free Dance

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Surprisingly the team in 12th really had huge potential. She is a firecracker; reminds me a bit of Tessa Virtue and their skating skills are reminiscent of the Shibs though they have a lightness more of Virtue and Moir. But I think their future may be hampered by the lack of height differentiation and Pang's apparent lack of musculature or strength. while timing is important he is more built for singles than dance and lifts. Look at his body type and he is lacking that "inverted" v and musculature of pairs or dancers. He is more of a straight stick than a triangle on a stick. It makes it hard for the lifts especially.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Finally got a chance to watch the FD.

Edwards and Pang were fabulous. What amazing potential. They had speed, smoothness, deep edges and expression. It's such a shame that those lifts went down, but they are going to be oh so good at the senior level in a few years if they keep it up.

I was also pleased with Bent and MacKeen. I think a 5th place result was fantastic for them in their first ever trip to junior worlds. I liked how they interpreted the music, even if it was a little heavy for them IMO, and thought they looked really good technically, especially through the footwork sequences. Another team with a bright future.

Aldridge and Eaton stole the show for me. They have such smoothness, and beautiful edges. I also loved their program, and thought they got all the way into it and really sold it. So great.

As for Stepanova and Bukin, I was disappointed. I had heard so much about them and was expecting them to be great, but I found them a little sloppy. They have a lot of skill, which is obvious, but I didn't really like the program and thought they seemed wild in some places. Maybe it's just me?

I can't really say anything about Papadakis and Cizeron, because she was obviously struggling with her ankle. Hard to form an accurate impression of a team when they're not at their best.

I can't really say anything about Papadakis and Cizeron, because she was obviously struggling with her ankle. Hard to form an accurate impression of a team when they're not at their best.

???

Twizzles aside, that program was skated extremely well.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, Edwards / Pang are doomed as a pair. She is outgrowing him, and he is too slight to be able to handle a larger partner. Both of their falls came on lifts, and that is too dangerous.

I feel pretty much the same about Hawayek/Baker. They have been together only about 6 months, yet they won a silver JGP medal, finished 2nd to Aldridge/Eaton at Nationals, and were 7th at JW. But Kaitlin is too tall for Jean Luc, who is another guy with a slight build. He doesn't struggle with the lifts, but she is just 16 and could easily keep on growing, while he is 19 and has probably stopped.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
IMO, Edwards / Pang are doomed as a pair. She is outgrowing him, and he is too slight to be able to handle a larger partner. Both of their falls came on lifts, and that is too dangerous.

:) People said the exact same thing about Virtue and Moir when they were at this age. Maddison is 16 and Zhao is 17, so I'm thinking there's a much better chance of him growing than her. Besides, I've never seen them go down on a lift before yesterday. I wouldn't doom them yet.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Probably the best example of a same size couple is Tai Babilonia & Randy Gardner back in the day.

If a couple is going to be close to the same size, their timing has to be spot on, and the guy's footwork during a lift impeccable.

Both couples mentioned are very talented, but I worry about them a bit.

I would not give up on the guys growing quite yet either. My father, my youngest son & my husband all kept growing into their early 20's. It happens.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
What does that mean "it factor"?

Something that draws your eyes to them beyond their skating. For example, Plushenko had that "it" factor from a very young age. The amount of technical ability, of course, but that charisma and presence to really take charge and fill an arena.

I think Edwards/Pang will be okay in terms of growth. This isn't like Bruser/Lum, where the age difference and her height basically told everyone that she'd get too tall for him (they've split up already).. And yes, people were concerned about Virtue outgrowing Moir.

herios

Medalist
Probably the best example of a same size couple is Tai Babilonia & Randy Gardner back in the day.

I would come up with a better example than Babilonia / Gardner, in the current era of the ice dance.
The Kerr's and Faiella / Scali were quite close in heigth, so they had to come up with more inventive lifts, while their range was more limited.
But I am not that gloomy about Edwards/Pang prospects. One bad outing doesn't make a trend. They did just fine with the same routine in Istanbul and Courchevel.
Also, I think Edwards is pretty much done with growing, she looks filled to me and usually ladies don't grow after 16 ( I had classmates who were done at 13), while guys keep on growing towards 20.
Pang could work on his upperbody strength though, he looks too slim and he should do that, as I am sure most of male ice dancers do that these days.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm sure that Pang will fill out somewhat, which is all he needs. I used Babilonia & Gardner, because
1. They were a pair, and the lifting is even tougher for the guy than in dance
2. They did manage to be World Champions in pairs
3. They look like not only the same height, but the same weight, which is why their pull Arabians were so special

I like both Kerr & Kerr and Faiella & Scali, but what was special about both teams was not the lifts. They managed level 4 stock lifts (at least most of the time). F&S and K&K both did gender bender lifts; Faiella dropped Scali a couple times AFAIR, but once COP came in, gender bender lifts disappeared except as choreographic lifts.

Virtue & Moir, whose lifts are special and creative, BTW, are a better example of dance lifts for same size people. If you look at how they are done, there is not that much lifting, per se, done by Scott. Scott steadies Tessa and holds her up, or controls her dropping/sliding to a dfferent, lower, level, but typically she either steps or jumps or does a handstand onto him.

The original Goose: Tessa jumps on and off of Scott's legs while he's in a cantilever spread eagle

The 1st lift in Carmen-Tessa jumps up on Scott, and using the motion of her leg to gain upward momentum & assist Scott, is almost tossed in the air
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEJKyFoNSo&feature=player_detailpage#t=67s
The 2nd lift in Carmen-Tessa jumps into a handstand on Scott, then folds up over onto his shoulders, into the rotational part of the lift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEJKyFoNSo&feature=player_detailpage#t=353s
The 3rd lift in Carmen-much harder to describe, but again, Tessa is jumping onto Scott
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEJKyFoNSo&feature=player_detailpage#t=435s

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So it was Tessa who aborted the lift (she didn't jump up), causing the stop at 4CC. All the more reason why they shouldn't have been allowed to redo that lift.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Something that draws your eyes to them beyond their skating. For example, Plushenko had that "it" factor from a very young age. The amount of technical ability, of course, but that charisma and presence to really take charge and fill an arena.

I think Edwards/Pang will be okay in terms of growth. This isn't like Bruser/Lum, where the age difference and her height basically told everyone that she'd get too tall for him (they've split up already).. And yes, people were concerned about Virtue outgrowing Moir.

Thanks for your answer. :) I understand, when I can't take my eyes of the skaters. For me S/B have it factor. :)

Last edited: