11. Hae Jin KIM (KOR) - 49.26
12. Alaine CHARTRAND (CAN) - 48.14
13. Yasmin SIRAJ (USA) - 47.65 Short Program
14. So Youn PARK (KOR) - 47.24 Short Program
15. Brooklee HAN (AUS) - 47.20 Short Program

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
Neither Elena or Julia have huge jumps. Elena's especially are small and she's at that age where she will start to grow and her body will change. Perhaps her jumps will survive and get bigger but we won't know for a couple years most likely.
I rather doubt it. Courtney Hicks will be able to acquire polish and better skating skills, (ditto Gracie Gold) but if you are not a jumper, you are not a jumper. (Only person I can think of who dramatically improved their jumps: Caroline Zhang) I think both are pretty skaters, but I can't see either one making it too far up the ladder, unless everyone else falters.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Her face. I know she's maaaaaaaaaaad but I cracked up at her face.

Julia has the best smirky faces. I love how feisty and driven these young Russian girls are, Radinova has it too but in particular Julia and Anna, they are girls on a mission for sure. It's so funny seeing them in the kiss and cry, these beautiful young girls with the fancy outfits, first thing you notice is, wow, they are so young and so pretty, then scores come up, and even if it's 1st or 2nd place, the reaction is just like, really judges?? You give me that kind of mediocre score now and I've gonna be all fired up to come out with all guns blazing tomorrow and show you how awesome I really can be. It's quite entertaining. That's why I think someone like Julia, or Anna, could be successful in the future despite not having the biggest or most textbook jumps, if you have the drive, competitive spirit, head for competition, and are upset with anything less than your best, then well, that very well could take you farther than huge textbook jumps.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Neither Elena or Julia have huge jumps. Elena's especially are small and she's at that age where she will start to grow and her body will change. Perhaps her jumps will survive and get bigger but we won't know for a couple years most likely.

TAT said at Russian Nationals that Radinova's mother is petite and slender, so her coaches do not worry too much about the effects of puberty. Julia also has very small feet and doesn't have a coltish or gangly look even though she's wiry, so puberty might not be too hard on her either. If Julia were likely to develop into a much bigger or stronger person, by her age she'd likely have signs of such changes like broad protruding shoulders or hipbones, elbows and knees that are really prominent, arms and legs that are unusually long or thin compared to the rest of her body, big feet and hands, but she doesn't have any of these things so I'd really be surprised if she grows to be the size of someone like Korobeynikova. Julia's technique I also think is pretty decent - not the 2a, but everything else I'd say is pretty good and adequate in size. Her jumps are plenty big when compared to someone like Miyahara or Siraj.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, Julia and Elena DID mess up!

Julia: 3z+1t, 3fe, 2a

Elena: 3z<+3t, 2f↓, 2a

Seems as if the pressure got to them.

Dots

Final Flight
I knew the judges would fall in love with Cesario's beautiful skating. They didn't have to put her in first place, even with the others making mistakes, after all she only had a triple loop-double toe loop as her combo. :no: She really is the class of the field and should take the title if she goes clean.

As many of you I'm excited that we have Lipnitskaya coming up. I don't think we have had a good "villian" in a while, and to tell you the truth figure skating needs another Tonya. :popcorn:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I wish we have another Tonya. Too bad reality TV wasn't around then. She would be the honey boo boo child of figure skating.
The current jr girls bore me, except CourtCourt. She doesn't look anything like a lady skater, and doesn't attempt to skate like one. TV crews don't follow her around waiting for sound bite, so I can't confirm if she's crazy like Tonya (and I still like Tonya.) I find the sandpaper artistry and big jumps and odd grin really endearing. I hope she can be US #1 in the next few years.

sk8ingcoach

On the Ice
Radionova will still win. Even with the bad short programs.

I doubt Radionova will make another mistake like that in her long. Her technical base value is much higher than anyone else so she has a little room to make mistakes anyway

lavender

Record Breaker
Wow....after watching these girls with these little jumps I think I will just wait until they get past puberty. I didn't have that same feeling when I was watching Mao and Yu na as juniors.

Last edited:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
As many of you I'm excited that we have Lipnitskaya coming up. I don't think we have had a good "villian" in a while, and to tell you the truth figure skating needs another Tonya. :popcorn:

why is Julia a villain ?
smirking = villain ? she was angry and upset at herself, nothing wrong with that

Lipnitskaia's villain superpower is making you cringe to death by flashing her crotch repeatedly. :p

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say with all these tiny jumps we saw from some of the top girls i'm not sure how far they can go in the future.