2013 Junior Worlds Ladies SP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2013 Junior Worlds Ladies SP

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Sure on TES but So-Youn has some of the best presentation in the field. Gorgeous carriage across the ice, good speed, lovely lines, expressive movements and nice choreography. Hae-Jin too. The judges base everything off of the TES...it's like they don't pay attention to the rest of the skating.
I think that the judges actually don't care about the TES, too: just see the American/Russian girls PCS and compare them to their performances, they received really high PCS even with technical mistakes! So I think that we all agree that, since So-Youn and Hae-Jin were clean, sophisticated and elegant, when Lipnitslaya/Radionova/Miyahara made mistakes, at least Hae-Jin should have been ahead at least of Lipnitskaya in the PCS!
But, yes, the SP result is almost meaningless: 4 points are separating the leader from the 9th place finisher, so the "real" competition will be the FS!

vera01

Final Flight
It amazes me how Yuna, coming from a country without a strong federation support at all, became a top skater. Unfortunately, judges don't have any problem underscoring other Korean ladies..:(

I am very glad to see Cesario in the lead. Her program was just stunning, mature, sophisticated and definitely deserved the highest PCS (if anything the gap between her and Lipnitskaia was far far too small).

I do agree that both Korean girls were very undermarked. They've shown good basics and well choreographed programs, skated to the music well.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It amazes me how Yuna, coming from a country without a strong federation support at all, became a top skater. Unfortunately, judges don't have any problem underscoring other Korean ladies..:(

Yu-Na didn't give the judges a choice. It's hard to ignore someone when they're throwing 3-3s time and time again as well as giving you excellent skating to boot.

I just don't like how lopsided the judging is. I never have and never will. It's unfair but then again it wouldn't be figure skating if the scores weren't questionable or just flat out wrong.

Actually looking at the PCS again, the Korean girls got relatively high ones. It's the TES that held them down.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Jasmin finished in 13th place. Wang or Miller would even with subpar skates have finished in the top 10.

vera01

Final Flight
Looking at the protocols, it appears that Lipnitskaia doesn't flutz anymore, but she lips.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
The level of the SP was not so high as expected. Only two girls showed a clean triple-triple combination (Pogorilaya and Toth).

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
But.. on the other hand, happy to see Cesario in 1st place:)

I am happy to see the judges gave her the lead. Her program was nicely choreographed and maturely delivered. No her jumps weren't the hardest but it was a complete program and I'm happy to see her rewarded for it...at the same time it also pisses me off b/c I'm sitting here wondering why the girls from Korea weren't given the same treatment.

I'm whining, I know. I need to stop...but I really hate it when this happens b/c it's so unfair to the skaters AND it sends the wrong message to future skaters. Why bother working on your lines, refinement, musicality, musical connection or presentation? Why waste the time? Just go out there and jump and spin as fast as you can, never mind if it looks good or not, and you'll score well b/c the judges will boost your PCS to match your technical content even if you don't deserve it.

Why the hell do I continue to watch this damn sport?

The most annoying judging trend is giving +2s and +3s by default for full splits and biellmanns regardless of how well they are actually executed. :mad:

Eislauf

On the Ice
Seems like i read somewhere that her coach said Julia was struggling a bit with all the changes. I imagine he means her body is changing and she's growing.

She looks physically heavier and a bit slower than she did a year ago - then again she was injured a few months ago with a concussion (and thus unable to compete in the JGP Finals in Sochi). I hope she can regain her sparkle and pizazz.

Well Jasmin finished in 13th place. Wang or Miller would even with subpar skates have finished in the top 10.

It was quite silly to send her here. But then, that's what you get when Nationals > all and when you hold Junior and Senior Nationals at the same time so skaters don't directly compete against one another.

I am happy to see the judges gave her the lead. Her program was nicely choreographed and maturely delivered. No her jumps weren't the hardest but it was a complete program and I'm happy to see her rewarded for it...at the same time it also pisses me off b/c I'm sitting here wondering why the girls from Korea weren't given the same treatment.

But they were given quite high PCS. :confused:

She looks physically heavier and a bit slower than she did a year ago - then again she was injured a few months ago with a concussion (and thus unable to compete in the JGP Finals in Sochi). I hope she can regain her sparkle and pizazz.

She is struggling with puberty.

Buttercup

Record Breaker

I'm whining, I know. I need to stop...but I really hate it when this happens b/c it's so unfair to the skaters AND it sends the wrong message to future skaters. Why bother working on your lines, refinement, musicality, musical connection or presentation? Why waste the time? Just go out there and jump and spin as fast as you can, never mind if it looks good or not, and you'll score well b/c the judges will boost your PCS to match your technical content even if you don't deserve it.
As others have noted, the Korean ladies suffered mainly due to their TES, not their PCS. The two skaters directly ahead of Kim both have lower PCS than she does, as do the two skaters who precede Park. Rika Hongo from Japan is in 7th and had lower PCS than both Kim and Park. Wuzrobbing is all good and well, but in this case the marks hardly support it. Their PCS is quite close to Anna Pogorilaya, and she's in second place. The difference is in the technical content; you usually can't UR jumps and stay near the top.

The current European men's champion is Spanish, hardly a major skating power. Here at JW, the 4th placed man after the SP is from the Philippines. Yuna got the marks she deserved. If you want the judges to notice you, give them something impressive, and they will.

Last edited:

Eislauf

On the Ice
The JGP and Jr Worlds are to develop skaters for the future so why was Hannah Miller who had silver medals at all her competitions this season denied a spot on the team? Just for that she should have been on this team. Siraj skates well in one competition and she gets the spot instead. As usual the USFS is shortsighted taking into account only one event. That's not the way to develop young skaters as far as i'm concerned. Same thing with Wang. The team should have been Miller, Wang and Hicks.

And one of Hannah's silvers was at the JGP Finals, where she was beaten only by an outstanding Radionova.

vera01

Final Flight
I think Hannah, or Angela really deserved to go instead of Yasmin. Hannah is really consistent and is capable of getting high PCS.