Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Junior Worlds Men FS

Custom Title
    Maybe I'll just throw this from Jason in here.

"I was so happy for Josh," he said. "I didn't exactly see his skate, but the [crowd] reaction was amazing, and I was so proud of him. I knew that Shotaro was in second, and I was just really excited that we had a chance to be the top three."

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    Maybe I'll just throw this from Jason in here.
    Good stuff. It's clear Josh and Jason respect each other and it's more of a friendly rivalry.

Which segways to the point that I am defending Jason and his strengths in general, not that Josh didn't deserve to win here or to dismiss his strengths. He has many, as I pointed out. And really they are both better for having this rivalry than not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Masculinity is not part of the PCS criteria.

And judging aside, this kind of narrow-minded gender policing makes me really sad.
    Yet they still have and judge Men and Ladies no matter how sad you are. You make its sound like that fs is some bathroom facilities in a Russian gay bar: with "Men" and "Women" signs that no one follows.
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Bravo! It's 2013. There are gay men and straight men (and probably bisexual men) skating. Who cares? I just want to see good skating. And Jason Brown is extraordinarily good, particularly in his musicality. But if both men continue to progress and improve, I see a terrific rivalry that will benefit ALL skating fans. Not matter who they sleep with!
    I too want that people would stop bringing LGBT rights stuff every time the word "masculinity" comes into the conversation. By doing this they substitute one issue with another. Lame as internet trolling. There are open gays who look like Gareth Thomas. Is there anyone who would say the word "masculinity" doesn't suit him? The point is we still have Men and Ladies as two separate segments. If boys start skating girlish stuff in girlish outlook, than why to have two different segments in the first place I wonder. Either we don't, or there should be some line not to cross and some standards to follow.

This user uploaded guys from French Eurosport in a little better quality:
    www.youtube.com/user/tsuyuhasport/videos?view=0

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    That youtuber does have a bit better quality!

Custom Title
    I thought it was very sweet of Jason to say how proud he was of Josh. I bet Josh is feeling just as proud the other way around. I find it quite adorable that they're each other's biggest fans.

I don't know if this article was ever posted here, but it's my favourite. A joint interview in the off-season. I would quote my favourite parts, but I would end up quoting the whole thing. But I think this is important:

We asked each boy to say what he likes about the other's skating.

"I could go on and on," Brown said. "His jumps are to die for."

"Why, thank you," Farris said.

"His triple Axel is, to me, the best in the world," Brown said. "I could watch it over and over. And his skating skills are amazing."

Farris laughed. "I'm trying to get to where yours are," he said.

Brown went on. "When I was younger, Josh was like a rubber band and super flexible, and Kori (Brown's coach) would say, 'Look at that, look how flexible he is.' And that's why I became so flexible."

"I love the expression you have on the ice, the carriage you have on the ice," Farris said to Brown. "When you step on the ice, you grab everybody; everybody stares at you."

EDIT: And my other favourite passage.

Having finished one-two at so many competitions, we asked if the boys had ever imagined finishing in first and second at the senior level at the U.S. championships.

"That would be a dream come true," Brown said. "That's how I always hoped and dreamed it would be. It would be unbelievable. And then we could go to worlds!"

"2014 Worlds, we're going," Farris said. "That's our goal."

"That would be the best," Brown said. "That would be so exciting."
    Last edited by karne; 03-03-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Custom Title
    Good to hear Jason and Josh both looking to 2014 and saying out loud that they want to go 1-2 and go to Worlds. With the Senior US men so inconsistent they have a chance though it's a slight one.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Jason Brown is the artist imho; I am not sure I wold say he isn't masculine. I do find the ponytail (actually it is called an atittude) is distracting and not particular helpful in creating a look - maybe a chin length cut might work better. Josh and Jason will have a great future dualing each other; but time is not in their favour to make the olympics - certainly not both but maybe one of them . The US men just killed the long program and wow they owned the podium and then some.

Jason has had that ponytail since he was a little kid. I don't think it's going anywhere soon :P

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8starz343 View Post
    Jason has had that ponytail since he was a little kid. I don't think it's going anywhere soon :P
    I don't mind the ponytail, but every time I see Jason give another mesmerizing performance, I find myself wishing that his team would upgrade his costuming to something that looks more modern and sophisticated, shows off his gorgeous extensions and lines and says "Gold Medalist" or "World Champion".

Pretty much all of the Japanese Senior men have costumes that are sophisticated, creative and expensive-looking. Daisuke in particular has skated in predominantly black costumes with punk-y ripped seams, slashed cut-outs, bold appliques and unusual seaming. They heighten his lyrical magic on the ice and look modern and directional, which isn't surprising given Japan's worldwide reputation for avant-garde fashion and design.
    Last edited by Eislauf; 03-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Custom Title
    Congratulations to the medalists and especially to Farris for his gold medal!!! Hopefully he and Brown will skate well in next season as a senior skaters. It is great that Brown managed to jump the triple axels, it remains to be seen whether that continues next season. My guess is that the judges might look more closely whether the necessary rotations are fullfilled, perhaps. Hopefully he could get the triple axel more effortless looking and also more speed into his skating.
    Last edited by Jaana; 03-03-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Custom Title
    Congratulations to the U.S. junior men!

And thanks to Mao88 for posting all the youtube videos!

I really like Mikhail Kolyada (he's like a very young Mikhail Baryshnikov). Too bad that his sp was chacked.

There's also something about Kolyada that reminds me of Ilia Kulik (perhaps the rosy cheeks and the athleticism). Of course, Kolyada is fairly young and still developing, and he needs to gain more consistency on his jumps, etc., but I really enjoy his lyrical style.
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 03-04-2013 at 04:28 AM.

This comment: "I love the expression you have on the ice, the carriage you have on the ice," Farris said to Brown. "When you step on the ice, you grab everybody; everybody stares at you."

THIS is what there is about Jason that I don't see in other skaters on the World stage at any level other than Takahashi right now. It's just not something that can be taught and it's something he's ALWAYS had. Abbott, Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Amodio, Miner, Dornbush, Gachinski, Aaron, Song, Han, Farris, et al - none of those guys have that even though they are wonderful skaters in their own rights. Jason has just needed the balance of the technical goods. He's addressed the 3A deficiency, now he needs to get the 4S/4T settled.

Custom Title
    Congrats to the US men, that is an astonishimg achievement! Josh and Jason were spectacular as usual (especially jason this time ) well done to Shotaro Omori aswell, he took me by complete surprise, such a lovely skater! what really stands out about these men is that each of them is a wonderful well rounded skater it is great to see

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    This comment: "I love the expression you have on the ice, the carriage you have on the ice," Farris said to Brown. "When you step on the ice, you grab everybody; everybody stares at you."

THIS is what there is about Jason that I don't see in other skaters on the World stage at any level other than Takahashi right now. It's just not something that can be taught and it's something he's ALWAYS had. Abbott, Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Amodio, Miner, Dornbush, Gachinski, Aaron, Song, Han, Farris, et al - none of those guys have that even though they are wonderful skaters in their own rights. Jason has just needed the balance of the technical goods. He's addressed the 3A deficiency, now he needs to get the 4S/4T settled.
    I have to disagree with you. Although I think Jason is good artistically and he’s better than many men including Farris, Fernandez, Amodio, etc., I don’t think he’s better than that long list of skaters you listed. I’ve seen almost everyone live on your list. At least I think Abbott and Hanyu are artistically better than Jason and they currently have more versatile style than Jason. I also find Takahashi’s style is similar to Jason, but I don’t think Takahashi is artistically better than Abbott and Hanyu for example. If anything, both Abbott’s and Hanyu’s programs are better than Takahashi this season IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post

I really like Mikhail Kolyada (he's like a very young Mikhail Baryshnikov). Too bad that his sp was chacked.

There's also something about Kolyada that reminds me of Ilia Kulik (perhaps the rosy cheeks and the athleticism). Of course, Kolyada is fairly young and still developing, and he needs to gain more consistency on his jumps, etc., but I really enjoy his lyrical style.
    Kolyada is already 18, I don't see any future.

I didn't say artistically better, I quoted the statement that when he's on the ice, "he grabs your attention" which is totally different. He has a charisma that attracts people more like Taka does and Chris Bowman did (but not in such a destructive manner) where when Taka is on the ice, even with mistakes, you HAVE to watch. When Bowman was on the ice you HAD to watch. When Jason is on the ice you HAVE to watch. Many of the other elite men right now, when they make mistakes, it just kills the desire.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast