2013 Junior Worlds Men FS | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2013 Junior Worlds Men FS

Country
Russia
That's why Doris said he's a late bloomer. Late bloomer, in essence, means that the results didn't come by right away. I think what the Fed could have done for him was send him to Euros as Russia No. 3
It could be so at other season, not pre-Olympic.
One place at Worlds - need to send to Worlds Man, who has best chance to earn 2 places for Olympics.

They sent Kovtun to Euro - he was the best at Euro of Russians and won Voronov who was much higher in score at Nationals than both Menshov and Kovtun.
So to send Kovtun to Euro was not a mistake.
And to send Kovtun to Worlds also does not look as mistake.

Menshov, being higher than Gachinsky at National, was lower him at Euro. Gachinsky had medal at Worlds - so to send Gachinsky to Worlds was not a mistake.
Now situation is about the same. Interests of team preval.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It could be so at other season, not pre-Olympic.
One place at Worlds - need to send to Worlds Man, who has best chance to earn 2 places for Olympics.

They sent Kovtun to Euro - he was the best at Euro of Russians and won Voronov who was much higher in score at Nationals than both Menshov and Kovtun.
So to send Kovtun to Euro was not a mistake.
And to send Kovtun to Worlds also does not look as mistake.

Menshov, being higher than Gachinsky at National, was lower him at Euro. Gachinsky had medal at Worlds - so to send Gachinsky to Worlds was not a mistake.
Now situation is about the same. Interests of team preval.

Eh, I really don't think Meshnov would have done any worse at Euros than Kovtun. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

I don't want to go into a individual vs team debate, but I still maintain that we don't know how Menshov would have done had he been sent to Euros instead.

The Gachinski situation isn't even the same as Kovtun's as he finished second behind Menshov, so it made perfect sense for 1-2 to duke it out at Euros for a spot at Worlds. But even a bronze medal at Worlds isn't a guarantee of future results; he has yet to medal at a GP and out of the podium at Nationals, though he still beat Kovtun.

That's why I'm not completely sold on the "committee over results" model.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Farris, Brown, Omori podium video and photo -- brooms in hand

Farris, Brown, Omori podium video and photo -- brooms in hand

American Podium Sweep - ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2013
Published on Mar 7, 2013
Joshua Farris, Jason Brown and Shotaro Omori sweep the podium for the Men at the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships in Milan, Italy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx5QxlUbsSQ&list=PLuiPiC1Hk8eKvgNhoMmWZCQvyiRR-QAKw

1:22 in length.
The sweeping schtick goes on a little too long, but the comments from each medalist at the end are sweet.​

Still photo of same (from Mar 3):

Thanks, Mrs. P. I had been waiting to read Brown's final posts. :)

Omori's perspective on the entire Milan experience here:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130306&content_id=42338990&vkey=ice_news

Includes an esp. nice comment about enjoying Brown's company and a mention of the broom-sweeping.​

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
From Shotaro

I was so grateful to be able to go with Jason because he made things so fun!"

Sometimes you might want a guy on the team, no matter how he skates :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Between Joshua, Jason and Shotaro, the adorable in here is reaching dangerously high levels! ;)

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I have a new appreciation for Shotaro, he's so smiley and silly all the time! Hope he keeps up the great skating for next season. Wonder if he's working on quads yet?

Also watching the programs I was noticing Josh has nice edge jumps. Does he train a 4s does anyone know? The 4t has been very close in competitions (almost seems like he's motoring too much into it and the impact when he lands causes the wipe-outs) and I know he can do it very well in practice, but given what a strong jumper he is, I figure it might not do him harm to train other quads, and it could turn out that it winds up being better for him. I remember Javi was trying 4t for a season or two and usually falling or stepping out of it, then got the 4s, and now his 4s is really his money jump and arguably even better in quality and more consistent than his 4t, even though he's had the 4t in his arsenal for longer. Josh's 3a is so good now that I do think training a 4s, if he hasn't started already, might not be a bad idea, given how beautifully he can do 3s at the very end of his program.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I haven't heard about a 4S, but Damon Allen did say he's been training 4T-3T. I certainly think he'd be more than capable of getting a 4S - but one step at a time. ;)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm reminded of my favorite skater who was never a champion... Paul Wylie.

His Olympic silver medal was a triumph. But he was never a major champion (he did win Trophee Lalique once), not even US champion.

He is still one of the greatest male skaters ever, IMO.