2013 Junior Worlds Men FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2013 Junior Worlds Men FS

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know it seems like it doesn't matter if the scoring system was changed you still have the same clueless morons judging.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So far only the men have impressed me. The skating has been rather meh. Good work for the us men. I am not sure these are wow performances but certainly the best. Jason Brown for years I thought might be a Hanyu, Chan or Tak but his technical skills aren't quite there. Still wow a sweep for the US men. I was impressed the Russians did better than I thought but if the rules are the same for seniors they fell short in the bid for three men. Canada is a bit of a disapointment but maybe Nam isn't big or strong enough and also going through puberty issues. The Japanese men were a bit of a let down too considering their domination mind you they have some young men in seniors so there is time unless Hanyu wins OGM and retires:)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Brown is one of those sunny natured people. I'll bet he is not dwelling on losing the short or the gold, but celebrating landing all three of his dreaded triple axels that he has had such trouble learning the past two years. And winning the small gold in the long, and the silver overall.

So on to the quad for Jason, I suppose.

His plan has been to aim for 2018...should he go senior next year?
I hope the move to Denver area for Jason and Kori is fruitful and yields Jason a quad or two. :) It will be interesting to see Jason and Josh in the same rink training...

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Actually Canada will only get 1 slot in 6 of the 7 JGP events next year as skaters from 6 different countries ( US , China , Philipines , Russia, Japan , Germany ) finished ahead of Nam. Canada barely managed to salvage 2 JW spots next season as if Nam finished any lower Canada would be down to 1 JW entry next year.

These are the allocation rules for singles and dance ( unless the ISU decides to change them again )

The top 3 countries get 2 slots in each JGP.
Countries 4 - 6 are guaranteed 1 slot in each JGP. ( Countries 4 and 5 do get a chance to fill any unused slots up to 2 entries per JGP )
Countries 7 - 12 get 1 slot in 6 of the 7 events.

Home countries always get 3 entries in the event they are hosting.

It is likely that Russia will get 14 slots despite finishing as the 4th highest country as it is unlikely that the Phillipines will use all of their slots. Japan will probably pick up a few spots too.

I thought it was 3 for the top three nations. My bad.

icebeauty

On the Ice
WOW WOW WOW!
I'm absolutely thrilled for all three of the US men. Josh went out and did what he's been doing all season, some silly mistakes, but a good and solid skater. Jason now has done the 3A times at his past 2 competitions...and to do all of them clean here is a huge step forward for him - i'm sure during the off season he will be adding footwork going into it, which will make him competitive even without a quad (does anyone know how much work he's put in on a quad?). but very impressed with scores by these two, pity Jason's been undermarked in PCS - i really dislike how judges think juniors/less experience means they can score lower and vice versa for some senior skater, but a sweep is a sweep. I'm excited for Sho, i wonder if he will move up to seniors or not...it's getting awfully crowded again for the US senior men...

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Looking at the scores, looks like Boyang Jin did a descent job. A 4th place is not bad at all for a 15 year old, and first year in his international competition.

I think Ziggy is saying that Jason was underscored in the SP with regard to PCS (and possibly in both programs) and if scored as Z thought, Brown would have won overall, too

Aye.

I'm not going to whine too much though because Farris did give two very strong performances.

Brown is just a very special skater though. Such overall package and attention to detail are extremely rarely seen.

His plan has been to aim for 2018...should he go senior next year?

Isn't Brown aging out next year?

He can't really get two SGPs next season so I think he should do the JGP again if he can.

He should try to make the Senior team with JW to fall back on if he fails.

I know it seems like it doesn't matter if the scoring system was changed you still have the same clueless morons judging.

Sadly, yes. :disapp:

Jason Brown for years I thought might be a Hanyu, Chan or Tak but his technical skills aren't quite there.

His technical skills could not have been any better in that FS. Pretty much every single element was executed to an extremely high standard.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I think Brown should have won this.

He deserved to win the PCS in the SP and he deserved an even higher lead on the PCS and GOE in the FS.

I think the judges were quite generous to Farris on the GOE.

And thanks to all the morons whining about the lack of quads, we now have a situation where falling on a 4toe is worth more than landing a clean 3lutz. :rolleye: Absolutely ridiculous.

Josh deserves the GOE on his jumps...they are like twice the size of Jason's. His quad was rotated, got huge height, and looked good in the air - he very nearly landed it, so I agree that it's worth the points he got for it. I don't think Jason wuzrobbed at all, he got higher PCS than Josh after all by some 2+ points, in the SP he did not deserve higher PCS because his program was not clean and it affected the impact. Jason is a gumby doll and his spins are incredible, but besides that I don't see where he is so superior to Joshua? Tastes differ and they have very different styles so it's natural some fans will prefer one to the other, but Jason did not deserve to win this championship given the programs the two guys put out. You can argue about if they hadn't made mistakes but based on what was performed, the result is right. Josh's GOEs are fine, his jumps are gorgeous and while Brown has even better spins, for a male skater Josh's spins are still very, very good. If anything, Jason's GOEs on his jumps were a bit generous, his jumps are quite small.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Brown has all triples, to a good standard, and without edge calls. He's in a relatively small group of guys that do. And his spins are interesting and excellent. He has remarkable flexibility for a guy-did anyone else notice that he does a change of edge in his 1/2 Biellmann-I find that amazing :eek: And his steps are good, quick, and to the music. In the Sp, at least one judge gave him +3 on the step, a real achievement for a senior skater.

I'll bet he has started learning the quad in harness, and I will be interested to see if he's trying both 4s and 4t; I'll bet someone at the press conference will ask him.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Brown has all triples, to a good standard, and without edge calls. He's in a relatively small group of guys that do. And his spins are interesting and excellent. He has remarkable flexibility for a guy-did anyone else notice that he does a change of edge in his 1/2 Biellmann-I find that amazing :eek: And his steps are good, quick, and to the music. In the Sp, at least one judge gave him +3 on the step, a real achievement for a senior skater.

I'll bet he has started learning the quad in harness, and I will be interested to see if he's trying both 4s and 4t; I'll bet someone at the press conference will ask him.

I love his spins! I love the extension and stretch he gets on his half-biellman!

Great job to Jason for hitting all the 3As with positive GOE!!

I won't go into the Jason vs. Josh argument. Everyone knows I am a stan for Mr. Brown, but Josh should be proud for his solid performances here and for getting the win -- this will surely boost his confidence as he enters seniors.

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Have you actually SEEN Jason skate? I mean live... His jumps are not small AT ALL...They have a nice pop and float to them and he has incredibly soft knees on his jump landings along with having some crazy transitions in and out of his jumps. Also, Jason has impecable edge work, much deeper than most of the elite Senior men. I know you are a big Josh fan, but your comments are quite inaccurate in terms of calling Jason's jumps small and saying that Jason doesn't have anything on Josh in regards to PCS (but you also felt that Miner was overscored in relation to Farris at Nationals, which is also inaccurate). There is no current man in the World saving Takahashi who has the magnetism and natural "look at me"-ness that Jason has and he couples that with some crazy hard transitions that actually FIT the music and choreography and well, if this kid can translate that 3A he finally seems to have mastered into at least 1 type of quad, he's going to be tough to beat. I mean really, this kid got a standing ovation his first year at Senior Nationals with NO TRIPLE AXEL...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Have you actually SEEN Jason skate? I mean live... His jumps are not small AT ALL...They have a nice pop and float to them and he has incredibly soft knees on his jump landings along with having some crazy transitions in and out of his jumps. Also, Jason has impecable edge work, much deeper than most of the elite Senior men. I know you are a big Josh fan, but your comments are quite inaccurate in terms of calling Jason's jumps small and saying that Jason doesn't have anything on Josh in regards to PCS (but you also felt that Miner was overscored in relation to Farris at Nationals, which is also inaccurate). There is no current man in the World saving Takahashi who has the magnetism and natural "look at me"-ness that Jason has and he couples that with some crazy hard transitions that actually FIT the music and choreography and well, if this kid can translate that 3A he finally seems to have mastered into at least 1 type of quad, he's going to be tough to beat. I mean really, this kid got a standing ovation his first year at Senior Nationals with NO TRIPLE AXEL...

I watched that performance (2011 Nationals FS) yesterday on a whim. Man...that was amazing. Doris you are soooo lucky to have seen that live!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Agree Absolutely, mskater! I was one of those standing for Jason in both his SP & LP at nationals in Greensboro. The kid, with no triple axel, got the best ovations of the night, and almost no one (except those that follow juniors) knew who he was. That was 2 years ago :eek: Jason was that wonderful then.

I have been a Jason fan ever since.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I can see why. :) I've been a fan for a lot longer having been volunteering at a local competition when he was in Juvenile. He was so small compared to the rest of the guys, but on the warm up, you just couldn't take your eyes off him because he draws your attention. The person I was working with said the same thing - wow, he's going to be one to watch if he sticks in the sport.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's just be happy the US seems to have to diamonds in the rough to take over when the Sochi Olympics are over. As it is i think both Jason and Josh are already in the top 6 in the US including the Seniors. Right now i'd have Abbott, Minor, Aaron and maybe Dornbush ahead of them both even though Josh beat Richard at Nationals.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Dornbush has to get his act together of your group. He's had one lightening in a bottle skate, so far, in Seniors. I would have Farris and Brown ahead of Dornbush from a sheer consistency standpoint right now...:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay just saw both performances.

Josh, great job! Aside from the fall on the quad, that was really awesome. Choregoraphy not my cup of tea, but he did as much as he could.

And Jason, well you didn't win, but you should be really proud of the performance. Choreography great as usual -- spins absolutely gorgeous! And OMG, so awesome he did the 3Z-3T and 3F-1L-3S within the last 30 seconds of the program... that was awesome! And oh yeah, you got the 3As. :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Isn't Brown aging out next year?

Nope. His birthday is the 15th December. So he won't turn 19 til after July 1. Same for Josh, whose birthday is January 6.

I have been told by someone who regularly skates on the same practice ice that about two weeks before Nationals he was landing very big, rotated, beautiful quad toes...with no harness.

I'm not getting into the Joshua vs Jason argument because I adore them both and a 1-2 is pretty much perfect!

But if anyone has video links,I would be enormously grateful.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Nope. His birthday is the 15th December. So he won't turn 19 til after July 1. Same for Josh, whose birthday is January 6.

I have been told by someone who regularly skates on the same practice ice that about two weeks before Nationals he was landing very big, rotated, beautiful quad toes...with no harness.

OHHH :love: I surely hope so!