Chan preps for title defense in Calgary, Detroit | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Chan preps for title defense in Calgary, Detroit

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think he would get a jump couach real quickly, if he finishes out of podium at Worlds...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This is what worries me as well. He should be giving himself every advantage, not chipping away at his own lead.

After watching what happened with Michelle Kwan in 2002, I have come to the belief that you can't coach yourself any more than you can see the back of your own head without a mirror.

]and we still don't know why...we'll have to wait til Frank's book after retirement. It did seem, well, arrogant on MK's part at the time. But regardless, I feel Sarah was destined to win. Now she'd be hammered with urs and edge calls, but she was really glorious that night. Coltish but really the skate of the evening. And Sasha's sp was amazing too. MK was just so blah in Salt Lake, unlike magical Nagano.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Lots of skaters have been able to no medal at the worlds the year before the Olympics but come back to medal at the Olympic year. People like Mao asada ilia Kulik Davis and white. Some people never medaled so he would have To go through some bad press but he does have all the potential and such performances as 2011 worlds and others where he was totally good. But having a coach of the kind he does may be a detriment. But you could have a good coach and flop.

Icey

Record Breaker
In the interview with chan, it was mentioned that the venue in London for worlds was small. What was the reasoning behind that? Has it been hard for fans to get tickets as a result?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
He said time zone, not climate, and so that he could simply drive to London.

ETA: Never mind, my question below is moot, thanks to posts below from mskater93, Icey, and Mathman. :bow:

Is one of the significant advantages of driving to Worlds that Chan will not have to risk putting his skates into checked luggage on a flight?
At Euros, Fernandez and others had a bad situation with their skates MIA in checked baggage that went astray, IIRC.
[ BTW, the new TSA regulations that will go into effect next month will allow some types of sports equipment to be carried onboard -- but skates are not among the newly permissible items. :( ]
ETA, correction: skates already were permissible.

In the interview with chan, it was mentioned that the venue in London for worlds was small. What was the reasoning behind that? Has it been hard for fans to get tickets as a result?

When I was casually glancing at the Worlds website yesterday, tickets seemed to be available at least for some sessions (maybe for all sessions, but I wasn't looking that closely).
Maybe the reasoning is exactly what Chan said -- for skaters and spectators to have a more intimate experience? And with seats full, or nearly full?

mskater93

Record Breaker
[BTW, the new TSA regulations that will go into effect next month will allow some types of sports equipment to be carried onboard -- but skates are not among the newly permissible items. :(]
Uh, I have carried my skates on in many places in the US and with the handy list from the TSA of what is banned, I've never had a problem.

I'm not worried about Patrick. He's sticking to his master plan. He burst onto the scene with great blade control, but no quad. He devoted a couple of years to getting his quad together. He fell a lot during this process, but now he's good to go on the quad.

Next, he went to work on his artistic expression. That was his plan for this year . He didn't win as many competitions, but he stuck to his guns in devoting his energies to dance and choreography.

Next year -- put it all together. :yes:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Does anyone know if Patrick is superstitious? If he is, he may not want to be the reigning world champ going into Olys -- which may affect his decisions (at least subconsciously)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Uh, I have carried my skates on in many places in the US and with the handy list from the TSA of what is banned, I've never had a problem.

It has always been permissible to carry ice skates on board.

http://www.usspeedskating.org/sites/default/files/SpeedSkates_Flyer.pdf

Thanks for the information. :)
But then I am puzzled. :confused2: I feel sure that I have read at least a couple of anecdotes via social media re American skaters whose skates have temporarily been lost (within the U.S.) because of mishaps with checked baggage.
And I've also read comments of relief from more than one jet-setting American skater after s/he has successfully claimed her/his checked baggage (without any glitch) -- and they say that they are relieved because it means that her/his skates have safely reached their destination.

ETA: Don't remember who else exactly, but I could swear that one of the Shibutanis tweeted after being in one of the situations above, for example.​

I think the TSA changed its rule only in 2012. Now it is OK with the feds to carry skates on board, but it is still up to the airlines security people.

On international flights I think ice skates are still generally prohibited.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
^^ Thanks for clearing up my confusion, Mathman.

Can't help adding one more thing that suggests that Chan has only feelings of friendship and respect for Aaron. :)

And Chan, who also trains in Colorado Springs, told reporters on his teleconference last week that he was "jumping up and down" when his friend won the U.S. title.
"No one understood how ready he was, how strong a skater he is, how hard he works," Chan said. "I knew if no one else brought their A-game to [U.S. nationals], he would.
"He's the hardest-working kid I've known in my career. I've never seen someone do so many run-throughs, so many sections. Many people have opportunities laid out in front of them and don't grasp them; he took the opportunity."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130306&content_id=42354590&vkey=ice_news

Isn't she his girlfriend's mother?

Mods, because Chan is an adult who has spoken about his GF openly, I hope that it is OK to discuss this topic.

I have been wondering also whether another factor in favor of training at DSC next year is its relative proximity (compared to Colorado Springs) to Chan's GF, who I think is based in NYC? She apparently recently visited DSC. Valentina Marchei tweeted an affectionate comment about meeting her and a photo of the two ladies sharing a hug.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Technically, he seems to be at a stand still, which is always a dangerous place to be in fs.

I don't want at all to sound 'criticizing' to the poster personally, so my apology in advance if I may sound so.

However, how many boys among elite skaters in the world would want and dream to stay at the likes of Chan's current level for a consective seasons, as your saying 'stand still', I have to wonder. :eek:hwell: There must be millions of skaters in the world who just wish to somehow achieve the same level of, say Patrick's Dai's or Brian's skating before they give up competitive skating one day, even if it's for just a season or at just one competition in their whole career, I would believe. ;) That's why I always admire and respect veteran skaters regardless of their placements or points of lately, and can't stop rooting for them no matter what! :party:

Icey

Record Breaker
I think the TSA changed its rule only in 2012. Now it is OK with the feds to carry skates on board, but it is still up to the airlines security people.

On international flights I think ice skates are still generally prohibited.

Skaters have been taking their skates on board since at least 2006, Mathman. Maybe they just lucked out.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
a) Chan has landed two quads and a triple axel cleanly in his LP four times: Nationals 2011, 2012, 4CC 2012, Worlds 2012. A related thought: after Skate Canada 2012, he said he went home and worked on his quads. He landed two great ones at CoR and one slightly-below-solid one. If Chan focuses on the jumps beyond all else, he'll land the elements. However, his goal is to expand his artistry this year. Which means that he can't focus on the jumps above all else. Artistically, his performance at CoR was quite strong and was rewarded with the highest PCS a man has received internationally (I know artistry /= PCS, but go with it for a moment). Technically, after the first three elements, it dropped.

b) Which is why losing his technical coach was such a double whammy for him. He's choosing to focus elsewhere. Which means that it's even MORE important to have someone watching the areas he's not focusing on. He doesn't have that. So consequently, he'll more likely make errors (say, rushing a takeoff) that he won't be able to compensate for. Except now these errors are worse than he's made in the past.

c) Of course, this year, the problem is compounded because every other contender is working on upping their technical skills. Amodio, Joubert, Takahashi, Hanyu, Fernandez, Reynolds, etc.... all are going for the hardest technical content they've ever attempted (except Joubert, who's merely going for the hardest content he's attempted in years). Chan's PCS gap is winnowing dramatically. Fernandez with one visual error (step-out on 4-3) is now scoring within three points of Chan. Should they both skate clean, Chan doesn't have enough in the technical arsenal to beat him (Fernandez can outpoint him on jumps, outlevel him on spins, and match his level on footwork).

Skaters have been taking their skates on board since at least 2006, Mathman. Maybe they just lucked out.

Oh, OK.

My impression is that a lot is left up to the discretion of the airport security people.

By the way, the Transportation Security Administration just announced that starting later this month it would be OK to take small pocket knives, baseball bats, and other previously banned items aboard. This decision is being protested by flight attendants and by some of the families of 9-11 victims. Some states (Michigan is one) have state laws that prohibit this, even if the TSA allows it.