Chan preps for title defense in Calgary, Detroit | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Chan preps for title defense in Calgary, Detroit

Icey

Record Breaker
A lot of damage can be done with a small pocket knife imo. And I am really surprised, my posts notwithstanding, that skates are allowed. Take the blades off the boots and they could be a deadly weapon.

Back to chan, Maybe the skaters in colorado fuel Chan's insecurities. Personally, I see little or no expansion in his artistic side if that is what he has been aiming for. And, for heaven sakes, how much time do you really need to spend on that, especially if it is to the neglect of maintaing and growing technically. THere is no reason I can see why there is not more than enough time to develop both AT THE SAME TIME.

Prediction: I will be surprised if Chan medals at Worlds this year and if he does, it will be a bronze.

mskater93

Record Breaker
No one in their right mind would "remove their blades from the boots", but then again, no one in their right mind would attack people on an airplane (or otherwise) so there you have it. :)

If the skaters in CO fuel his insecurities, he needs to get over it because then the skaters on practice at Worlds will fuel his insecurities, which I believe he's mentioned before. There must be an underlying reason that Krall quit and no one has filled that void.

wallylutz

Medalist
c) Of course, this year, the problem is compounded because every other contender is working on upping their technical skills. Amodio, Joubert, Takahashi, Hanyu, Fernandez, Reynolds, etc.... all are going for the hardest technical content they've ever attempted (except Joubert, who's merely going for the hardest content he's attempted in years). Chan's PCS gap is winnowing dramatically. Fernandez with one visual error (step-out on 4-3) is now scoring within three points of Chan. Should they both skate clean, Chan doesn't have enough in the technical arsenal to beat him (Fernandez can outpoint him on jumps, outlevel him on spins, and match his level on footwork).

But not on GOE, I am afraid. Despite everything, Chan is still his own biggest enemy. Doing 2 Quad Toes & 1 Triple Axel is enough for him to win regardless of how many Quads that Fernandez may throw in there. Take Reynolds' 92+ TES at the 2013 4CC for examole, that number is relatively low for the jumps he did. Execution wise, there is no doubt in my mind Fernandez is not even close, therefore, Chan should focus on himself, not the others like Fernandez or Hanyu who will not beat him unless he makes mistakes.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
But not on GOE, I am afraid. Despite everything, Chan is still his own biggest enemy. Doing 2 Quad Toes & 1 Triple Axel is enough for him to win regardless of how many Quads that Fernandez may throw in there. Take Reynolds' 92+ TES at the 2013 4CC for examole, that number is relatively low for the jumps he did. Execution wise, there is no doubt in my mind Fernandez is not even close, therefore, Chan should focus on himself, not the others like Fernandez or Hanyu who will not beat him unless he makes mistakes.

I'm not convinced of that either. Chan's TES at Worlds 2011 for an LP with one major mistake (step-out on the 3A) was 96.44. Fernandez' TES at EC 2012 for a program with one step-out (4-3) and a pop (triple to double flip) was 96.65. I don't think you can conflate Reynolds (who has barely rotated quads/3As and will require a lenient technical panel not to get dinged royally) and Fernandez (who has the best 4S in the business, a solid 4T and a gorgeous triple axel out of steps!).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On international flights I think ice skates are still generally prohibited.

@AshWagner2010's luggage did not arrive in London with her. She apparently has been scrambling to procure skates:

- No luggage!!! Grrrr
9:06 PM - Mar 11, 2013

- Made it to London in one piece! Now I just need my skates and I'm ready to go! #goinbarefoot
6:48 AM - Mar 12, 2013

- I've rounded up tights and a top, thx to @WeaverPoje and makeup from my lovely roommate..now searching 4 shoes and oh yeah, skates!#practice
12:46 PM - Mar 12, 2013​

ETA:

So it sounds as if Wagner has been reunited with her luggage. :)

@AshWagner2010
Great first day of practice..the crowd in London is incredible I'm already so excited to compete! Time to unpack my beast of a suitcase:)
6:18 PM - Mar 12, 2013​

But the point remains that if Chan had needed to fly from Colorado to Ontario (instead of driving from Detroit), hypothetically his luggage and skates could have been lost too.​