Chan preps for title defense in Calgary, Detroit | Golden Skate

Chan preps for title defense in Calgary, Detroit

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Chan preps for title defense in Calgary, Detroit
'Rough' season prompts skater to retool, regroup, refocus

ETA:

The lengthy article is based on a 30-minute media call.
For the past two weeks, Chan has been working at DSC -- strictly with his own coach Kathy Johnson -- and he will remain there for another week. Chan has been staying with Weaver/Poje (thus the fun photo of the threesome that W/P tweeted last week).
After Canadian nationals, Chan had spent a week with his trainer in Calgary, revamping his whole off-ice training program.

Excerpts:

From there, Chan traveled to Toronto to work with choreographers Jeff Buttle and David Wilson on his programs, including a short to Rachmaninoff and free to music from La Boheme.
"We changed the patterns and even the order of some of the jumps," Chan said. "I felt I was struggling, mostly in the long program. [The changes] make it easier to be consistent with the elements."

The 22-year-old and his coach, Kathy Johnson, arrived in Detroit two weeks ago to prepare for the 2013 World Figure Skating Championships in London, Ontario, beginning March 10.
"I really wanted to stay in the same time zone as where the world championships in London would be," Chan told reporters on a teleconference Friday.
"The best place I could train, the most competitive and friendly and [with a] positive environment, where I would be with other skaters, was DSC ...."

Depending on how he feels after the 2013 World Championships, he may make the move to DSC permanent.
"It's hard to say right now," he said. "I love it here. I am really happy with [the other] skaters. I am sitting in the lobby, and there are tons of skaters here: Elladj, the pairs skater, Narumi [Takahashi]. We're laughing a lot, cracking a lot of jokes.
"In another way, it's hard to make the decision final. I am settled in Colorado, and I made the decision to buy a house. I will make the decision after worlds. I have to talk to Kathy, to Skate Canada, and see what is best for me. Next year is all about the Olympics. ... I want to make a decision that will [help me] skate my best at Olympics, with no weight on my shoulders."

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unless he gets a real coach and not that glorified dance teacher it doesn't matter where Patrick trains at. He needs a full time tech coach who can look at what he's doing in terms of his jumps and figure out what's wrong. He can't do that by himself and Kathy Johnson isn't qualified to point out the problems he might be having.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Unless he gets a real coach and not that glorified dance teacher it doesn't matter where Patrick trains at. He needs a full time tech coach who can look at what he's doing in terms of his jumps and figure out what's wrong. He can't do that by himself and Kathy Johnson isn't qualified to point out the problems he might be having.

Agreed; maybe Skate Canada should pull its funding for him until he gets a qualified coach. I know harsh but really. I think he might have thrown away the ogm and at least this yhear's world's. Maybe Reynolds will skate clean and beat him (although many posters will point out Reynolds coaching situation is far from ideal or rather McLeod has had a huge time producing or taking talented skaters to the top of the podium Jeremy Ten, Sandu, leung all had potential and all fell short and tonnes or her skaters have problems with the axel even at the lower level.

This is what worries me as well. He should be giving himself every advantage, not chipping away at his own lead.

After watching what happened with Michelle Kwan in 2002, I have come to the belief that you can't coach yourself any more than you can see the back of your own head without a mirror.

Icey

Record Breaker
Wonder how the other skaters there feel about whatever disruption his presence will cause. Decided to buy a house (in Colorado, I assume). Seems he and his team are not thinking through things with any clarity. How much benefit can all this be this close to Worlds. Why not wait until after Worlds. Sounds like they are running scared to me.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Wonder how the other skaters there feel about whatever disruption his presence will cause. Decided to buy a house (in Colorado, I assume). Seems he and his team are not thinking through things with any clarity. How much benefit can all this be this close to Worlds. Why not wait until after Worlds. Sounds like they are running scared to me.

Which skaters?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wonder how the other skaters there feel about whatever disruption his presence will cause.

This question crossed my mind too.

But on second thought, training alongside a world champion could be somewhat inspirational and energizing for the DSC skaters, or so I imagine.
Although Chan needs ice time, he is not working with DSC coaches and diverting their attention.

And the collegiality and mutual support among all the DSC skaters (of every age/discipline/nationality/ranking) seems extremely strong, based on their social media accounts. I have a feeling that they would be quick to welcome any nice "new guy" with open arms. Chan recently joined the whole gang for a celebration of Poje's birthday, etc.

Nigel

On the Ice

^^ That. Totally agree. Chan has walked/skated away from the team that truly developed him as a skater...Nichol (who reinforced Mr Colson's teachings), Krall...who helped him finally achieve good technique on quads (though he still struggles sometimes on 3A)...and is now left with Johnson...who IIRC, her connection to skating is a daughter who skated, but not at the elite level. Is this an issue of Chan and support team thinking he has all/knows all he needs at this point? Many skaters have commented that 3A and quads are only borrowed for a short time. It takes constant review of technique to keep them in their repetoire.

Re: Chan moving out of Colorado to DSC....I suspect there are a number of reasons he is leaving....and I suspect the training environment in CO has changed, as Aaron is now doing quads and 3A routinely. Wonder if Chan doesn't like the fact he is outjumped by Aaron. And, with Josh Farris there and Jason Brown training in CO for periods of time (not sure if he has relocated there permanently)....the mix has changed. Chan was the top male skater in CO for a year or two, and internationally, he probably still is. But, I wonder if there is more to it than he has alluded to in his press conferences. Younger skaters nipping at his heals. He talked about how much he loved training at altitude, he has commented that he is/was/hoping to attend Colorado College (not sure if he ever enrolled or not, as he has not talked about that recently)...and his family purchased a home there. Why leave, unless he has been asked to leave? Or the environment or coaching was not productive anymore? Are there jump coaches at DSC that can help him get his game back (Jason and Yuka have not seemed to really do that consistently for Alissa or Jeremy). Maybe Chan should sit down and talk to Mike Slipchuk and have a real heart to heart....and actually listen. ;-)

spikydurian

Medalist
Wonder if Chan doesn't like the fact he is outjumped by Aaron.
Max Aaron and Patrick are good friends, and Max has commented that Patrick helped him by sharing his experience with Max.

Younger skaters nipping at his heals.
Nothing is permanent. Competition is alway evolving. Younger skaters nipping at one's heels are expected for all elite skaters at one stage or another.

Maybe Chan should sit down and talk to Mike Slipchuk and have a real heart to heart....and actually listen.
Isn't that what he intends to do before making a decision whether to move to Detroit according to the interview?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max Aaron and Patrick are good friends, and Max has commented that Patrick helped him by sharing his experience with Max.

Nice anecdote about the friendship between Aaron and Chan:

Icenetwork.com: What was your favorite birthday present this year?

Aaron: I think it must be the suit I got that my parents helped me pay for. I was ecstatic because I needed a suit really badly. I got made fun of a lot for not wearing a suit. I was wearing Patrick [Chan]'s dress pants for the Four Continents banquet. He said to grab anything I needed. He has quite the style -- I usually go to him for fashion advice.

Source:
Five favorite things with Max Aaron
Newly crowned U.S. champion reveals secret meal, gets fashion advice from Chan

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
^^ That. Totally agree. Chan has walked/skated away from the team that truly developed him as a skater...Nichol (who reinforced Mr Colson's teachings), Krall...who helped him finally achieve good technique on quads (though he still struggles sometimes on 3A)...and is now left with Johnson...who IIRC, her connection to skating is a daughter who skated, but not at the elite level. Is this an issue of Chan and support team thinking he has all/knows all he needs at this point? Many skaters have commented that 3A and quads are only borrowed for a short time. It takes constant review of technique to keep them in their repetoire.

Re: Chan moving out of Colorado to DSC....I suspect there are a number of reasons he is leaving....and I suspect the training environment in CO has changed, as Aaron is now doing quads and 3A routinely. Wonder if Chan doesn't like the fact he is outjumped by Aaron. And, with Josh Farris there and Jason Brown training in CO for periods of time (not sure if he has relocated there permanently)....the mix has changed. Chan was the top male skater in CO for a year or two, and internationally, he probably still is. But, I wonder if there is more to it than he has alluded to in his press conferences. Younger skaters nipping at his heals. He talked about how much he loved training at altitude, he has commented that he is/was/hoping to attend Colorado College (not sure if he ever enrolled or not, as he has not talked about that recently)...and his family purchased a home there. Why leave, unless he has been asked to leave? Or the environment or coaching was not productive anymore? Are there jump coaches at DSC that can help him get his game back (Jason and Yuka have not seemed to really do that consistently for Alissa or Jeremy). Maybe Chan should sit down and talk to Mike Slipchuk and have a real heart to heart....and actually listen. ;-)

1. Brandon Mroz and Ryan Bradley trained by his side and they could outjump him at that time.

2. I do think there's more it than mentioned (I wonder what his relationship with Krall is), but I certainly don't think he was asked to leave - seems like rumour mongering to me.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I guess I havent gotten twitter figured out yet...he said on March 3 he was driving above the clouds in Hawaii....

lakeside

On the Ice
Nothing is permanent. Competition is alway evolving. Younger skaters nipping at one's heels are expected for all elite skaters at one stage or another.
ITA. :thumbsup:

Icenetwork.com: What was your favorite birthday present this year?

Aaron: I think it must be the suit I got that my parents helped me pay for. I was ecstatic because I needed a suit really badly. I got made fun of a lot for not wearing a suit. I was wearing Patrick [Chan]'s dress pants for the Four Continents banquet. He said to grab anything I needed. He has quite the style -- I usually go to him for fashion advice.
Great to know this. Thank you, golden411.

Icey

Record Breaker
Chan's reign is probably over I think. Technically, he seems to be at a stand still, which is always a dangerous place to be in fs. I even wonder if he will do better than bronze at Worlds.

Wait a minute. He could have a slump this year and come roaring back next year. I think what he's going through is a glitch in his training. He just has to get the right approach and strategy, and he'll be able to put his jumps together again. It's not as if he's (God forbid) been slowed by injury or has lost his wonderful skating skills. Whatever he's always had is surely still there; he's just accessing it incorrectly this year.