Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chan preps for title defense in Calgary, Detroit

I guess I havent gotten twitter figured out yet...he said on March 3 he was driving above the clouds in Hawaii....

Custom Title
    I think the photo was from the Christmas trip.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Max Aaron and Patrick are good friends, and Max has commented that Patrick helped him by sharing his experience with Max.
    Nothing is permanent. Competition is alway evolving. Younger skaters nipping at one's heels are expected for all elite skaters at one stage or another.
    ITA.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Icenetwork.com: What was your favorite birthday present this year?

Aaron: I think it must be the suit I got that my parents helped me pay for. I was ecstatic because I needed a suit really badly. I got made fun of a lot for not wearing a suit. I was wearing Patrick [Chan]'s dress pants for the Four Continents banquet. He said to grab anything I needed. He has quite the style -- I usually go to him for fashion advice.
    Great to know this. Thank you, golden411.

Custom Title
    Chan's reign is probably over I think. Technically, he seems to be at a stand still, which is always a dangerous place to be in fs. I even wonder if he will do better than bronze at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Wait a minute. He could have a slump this year and come roaring back next year. I think what he's going through is a glitch in his training. He just has to get the right approach and strategy, and he'll be able to put his jumps together again. It's not as if he's (God forbid) been slowed by injury or has lost his wonderful skating skills. Whatever he's always had is surely still there; he's just accessing it incorrectly this year.

Custom Title
    I think he would get a jump couach real quickly, if he finishes out of podium at Worlds...

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar

Patrick Chan CTV London interview, Part 1 (Mar 5)

Patrick Chan CTV London interview, Part 1 (Mar 5)

Patrick Chan on the championships
    CTV London: Canada’s top male figure skater talks about the pressure to win and dazzle the crowds. Norman James has more.

The video of Part 1 is 3:12 in length.
    Part 2 airs tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This is what worries me as well. He should be giving himself every advantage, not chipping away at his own lead.

After watching what happened with Michelle Kwan in 2002, I have come to the belief that you can't coach yourself any more than you can see the back of your own head without a mirror.
    ]and we still don't know why...we'll have to wait til Frank's book after retirement. It did seem, well, arrogant on MK's part at the time. But regardless, I feel Sarah was destined to win. Now she'd be hammered with urs and edge calls, but she was really glorious that night. Coltish but really the skate of the evening. And Sasha's sp was amazing too. MK was just so blah in Salt Lake, unlike magical Nagano.

Custom Title
    Lots of skaters have been able to no medal at the worlds the year before the Olympics but come back to medal at the Olympic year. People like Mao asada ilia Kulik Davis and white. Some people never medaled so he would have To go through some bad press but he does have all the potential and such performances as 2011 worlds and others where he was totally good. But having a coach of the kind he does may be a detriment. But you could have a good coach and flop.

Custom Title
    In the interview with chan, it was mentioned that the venue in London for worlds was small. What was the reasoning behind that? Has it been hard for fans to get tickets as a result?

Tripping on the Podium
    He should get rid of his dance "coach" and get a real professional, otherwise he is done.

Quote Originally Posted by momskate View Post
    He should get rid of his dance "coach" and get a real professional, otherwise he is done.
    Isn't she his girlfriend's mother?

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriana View Post
    He said time zone, not climate, and so that he could simply drive to London.
    ETA: Never mind, my question below is moot, thanks to posts below from mskater93, Icey, and Mathman.

Is one of the significant advantages of driving to Worlds that Chan will not have to risk putting his skates into checked luggage on a flight?
    At Euros, Fernandez and others had a bad situation with their skates MIA in checked baggage that went astray, IIRC.
    [ BTW, the new TSA regulations that will go into effect next month will allow some types of sports equipment to be carried onboard -- but skates are not among the newly permissible items. :( ]
    ETA, correction: skates already were permissible.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    In the interview with chan, it was mentioned that the venue in London for worlds was small. What was the reasoning behind that? Has it been hard for fans to get tickets as a result?
    When I was casually glancing at the Worlds website yesterday, tickets seemed to be available at least for some sessions (maybe for all sessions, but I wasn't looking that closely).
    Maybe the reasoning is exactly what Chan said -- for skaters and spectators to have a more intimate experience? And with seats full, or nearly full?

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    [BTW, the new TSA regulations that will go into effect next month will allow some types of sports equipment to be carried onboard -- but skates are not among the newly permissible items. :(]
    Uh, I have carried my skates on in many places in the US and with the handy list from the TSA of what is banned, I've never had a problem.

I'm not worried about Patrick. He's sticking to his master plan. He burst onto the scene with great blade control, but no quad. He devoted a couple of years to getting his quad together. He fell a lot during this process, but now he's good to go on the quad.

Next, he went to work on his artistic expression. That was his plan for this year . He didn't win as many competitions, but he stuck to his guns in devoting his energies to dance and choreography.

Next year -- put it all together.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast