Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chan preps for title defense in Calgary, Detroit

Custom Title
    It has always been permissible to carry ice skates on board.

http://www.usspeedskating.org/sites/...ates_Flyer.pdf

Custom Title
    Does anyone know if Patrick is superstitious? If he is, he may not want to be the reigning world champ going into Olys -- which may affect his decisions (at least subconsciously)

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Uh, I have carried my skates on in many places in the US and with the handy list from the TSA of what is banned, I've never had a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    It has always been permissible to carry ice skates on board.

http://www.usspeedskating.org/sites/...ates_Flyer.pdf
    Thanks for the information.
    But then I am puzzled. I feel sure that I have read at least a couple of anecdotes via social media re American skaters whose skates have temporarily been lost (within the U.S.) because of mishaps with checked baggage.
    And I've also read comments of relief from more than one jet-setting American skater after s/he has successfully claimed her/his checked baggage (without any glitch) -- and they say that they are relieved because it means that her/his skates have safely reached their destination.

ETA: Don't remember who else exactly, but I could swear that one of the Shibutanis tweeted after being in one of the situations above, for example.

I think the TSA changed its rule only in 2012. Now it is OK with the feds to carry skates on board, but it is still up to the airlines security people.

On international flights I think ice skates are still generally prohibited.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    ^^ Thanks for clearing up my confusion, Mathman.

Can't help adding one more thing that suggests that Chan has only feelings of friendship and respect for Aaron.

And Chan, who also trains in Colorado Springs, told reporters on his teleconference last week that he was "jumping up and down" when his friend won the U.S. title.
    "No one understood how ready he was, how strong a skater he is, how hard he works," Chan said. "I knew if no one else brought their A-game to [U.S. nationals], he would.
    "He's the hardest-working kid I've known in my career. I've never seen someone do so many run-throughs, so many sections. Many people have opportunities laid out in front of them and don't grasp them; he took the opportunity."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Isn't she his girlfriend's mother?
    Mods, because Chan is an adult who has spoken about his GF openly, I hope that it is OK to discuss this topic.

I have been wondering also whether another factor in favor of training at DSC next year is its relative proximity (compared to Colorado Springs) to Chan's GF, who I think is based in NYC? She apparently recently visited DSC. Valentina Marchei tweeted an affectionate comment about meeting her and a photo of the two ladies sharing a hug.

Custom Title
    Technically, he seems to be at a stand still, which is always a dangerous place to be in fs.
    I don't want at all to sound 'criticizing' to the poster personally, so my apology in advance if I may sound so.

However, how many boys among elite skaters in the world would want and dream to stay at the likes of Chan's current level for a consective seasons, as your saying 'stand still', I have to wonder. There must be millions of skaters in the world who just wish to somehow achieve the same level of, say Patrick's Dai's or Brian's skating before they give up competitive skating one day, even if it's for just a season or at just one competition in their whole career, I would believe. That's why I always admire and respect veteran skaters regardless of their placements or points of lately, and can't stop rooting for them no matter what!

Custom Title
    Isn't she his girlfriend's mother?
    that is part of the problem. If they break up during Oly year Chan is going to be buried.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think the TSA changed its rule only in 2012. Now it is OK with the feds to carry skates on board, but it is still up to the airlines security people.

On international flights I think ice skates are still generally prohibited.
    Skaters have been taking their skates on board since at least 2006, Mathman. Maybe they just lucked out.

Custom Title
    a) Chan has landed two quads and a triple axel cleanly in his LP four times: Nationals 2011, 2012, 4CC 2012, Worlds 2012. A related thought: after Skate Canada 2012, he said he went home and worked on his quads. He landed two great ones at CoR and one slightly-below-solid one. If Chan focuses on the jumps beyond all else, he'll land the elements. However, his goal is to expand his artistry this year. Which means that he can't focus on the jumps above all else. Artistically, his performance at CoR was quite strong and was rewarded with the highest PCS a man has received internationally (I know artistry /= PCS, but go with it for a moment). Technically, after the first three elements, it dropped.

b) Which is why losing his technical coach was such a double whammy for him. He's choosing to focus elsewhere. Which means that it's even MORE important to have someone watching the areas he's not focusing on. He doesn't have that. So consequently, he'll more likely make errors (say, rushing a takeoff) that he won't be able to compensate for. Except now these errors are worse than he's made in the past.

c) Of course, this year, the problem is compounded because every other contender is working on upping their technical skills. Amodio, Joubert, Takahashi, Hanyu, Fernandez, Reynolds, etc.... all are going for the hardest technical content they've ever attempted (except Joubert, who's merely going for the hardest content he's attempted in years). Chan's PCS gap is winnowing dramatically. Fernandez with one visual error (step-out on 4-3) is now scoring within three points of Chan. Should they both skate clean, Chan doesn't have enough in the technical arsenal to beat him (Fernandez can outpoint him on jumps, outlevel him on spins, and match his level on footwork).

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Skaters have been taking their skates on board since at least 2006, Mathman. Maybe they just lucked out.
    Oh, OK.

My impression is that a lot is left up to the discretion of the airport security people.

By the way, the Transportation Security Administration just announced that starting later this month it would be OK to take small pocket knives, baseball bats, and other previously banned items aboard. This decision is being protested by flight attendants and by some of the families of 9-11 victims. Some states (Michigan is one) have state laws that prohibit this, even if the TSA allows it.

Custom Title
    A lot of damage can be done with a small pocket knife imo. And I am really surprised, my posts notwithstanding, that skates are allowed. Take the blades off the boots and they could be a deadly weapon.

Back to chan, Maybe the skaters in colorado fuel Chan's insecurities. Personally, I see little or no expansion in his artistic side if that is what he has been aiming for. And, for heaven sakes, how much time do you really need to spend on that, especially if it is to the neglect of maintaing and growing technically. THere is no reason I can see why there is not more than enough time to develop both AT THE SAME TIME.

Prediction: I will be surprised if Chan medals at Worlds this year and if he does, it will be a bronze.

No one in their right mind would "remove their blades from the boots", but then again, no one in their right mind would attack people on an airplane (or otherwise) so there you have it.

If the skaters in CO fuel his insecurities, he needs to get over it because then the skaters on practice at Worlds will fuel his insecurities, which I believe he's mentioned before. There must be an underlying reason that Krall quit and no one has filled that void.

No one in their right mind would "remove their blades from the boots", but then again, no one in their right mind would attack people on an airplane (or otherwise) so there you have it.
    Now I am thinking about the Tom Hank movie Cast Away where he tied a skate to a stick and made a fierce chopping tool out of it.

http://thelegalbroadcastnetwork.squa...=1239639392515

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    c) Of course, this year, the problem is compounded because every other contender is working on upping their technical skills. Amodio, Joubert, Takahashi, Hanyu, Fernandez, Reynolds, etc.... all are going for the hardest technical content they've ever attempted (except Joubert, who's merely going for the hardest content he's attempted in years). Chan's PCS gap is winnowing dramatically. Fernandez with one visual error (step-out on 4-3) is now scoring within three points of Chan. Should they both skate clean, Chan doesn't have enough in the technical arsenal to beat him (Fernandez can outpoint him on jumps, outlevel him on spins, and match his level on footwork).
    But not on GOE, I am afraid. Despite everything, Chan is still his own biggest enemy. Doing 2 Quad Toes & 1 Triple Axel is enough for him to win regardless of how many Quads that Fernandez may throw in there. Take Reynolds' 92+ TES at the 2013 4CC for examole, that number is relatively low for the jumps he did. Execution wise, there is no doubt in my mind Fernandez is not even close, therefore, Chan should focus on himself, not the others like Fernandez or Hanyu who will not beat him unless he makes mistakes.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    But not on GOE, I am afraid. Despite everything, Chan is still his own biggest enemy. Doing 2 Quad Toes & 1 Triple Axel is enough for him to win regardless of how many Quads that Fernandez may throw in there. Take Reynolds' 92+ TES at the 2013 4CC for examole, that number is relatively low for the jumps he did. Execution wise, there is no doubt in my mind Fernandez is not even close, therefore, Chan should focus on himself, not the others like Fernandez or Hanyu who will not beat him unless he makes mistakes.
    I'm not convinced of that either. Chan's TES at Worlds 2011 for an LP with one major mistake (step-out on the 3A) was 96.44. Fernandez' TES at EC 2012 for a program with one step-out (4-3) and a pop (triple to double flip) was 96.65. I don't think you can conflate Reynolds (who has barely rotated quads/3As and will require a lenient technical panel not to get dinged royally) and Fernandez (who has the best 4S in the business, a solid 4T and a gorgeous triple axel out of steps!).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast