Sequester not avoided | Golden Skate

Sequester not avoided

skateluvr

Record Breaker
What a week. Repubs hold country hostage to the sequester, refusing to close tax loopholes for the very rich! The Pope abdicates-first in 700 years. So much behind that decision. So much bad news-is there any other kind? The Pope said there were days of "light and joy" and others when he felt God was "asleep." If the leader of 1 billion souls on earth cannot reach God's ear. I feel so fearful and discouraged at thi gridlock-hatred between a do nothing congress and a cool as a cucumber president who will still have his family, millionaire freinds and great selling books. relative paupers like Clinton may enter the WH but all capitalize on it.

In two years pundits expect the radical right tea partiers and everyone to be voted out. But more just like them will enter. What a spineless group/selfish male dominated two party mess we have. What are Americans feeling? They said it would not happen. Every crisis manufactured to make things worse. Blame goes to both parties for this mess.

I hope I am not too sexist in what must be a female dominated forum, but women have not chosen to lead. I thought we would have had a dynamic selfless female president long ago. I do Believe Hillary is a far braver human being than Barack. If I were black, I would be very disappointed in the first couple. I realize Michelle is low profile to keep Barack steady and most concerned about her daughters but I am fed up with leaders who do not lead but point fingers. I abhore the Speaker, as his very face is smug and evil. This is politics, so what are people thinking in America today, besides that Worlds is coming-and discussed to death already.

Lord help us. Lincoln made me realize we once had the same back door dealing, but we had great leaders. I surely did not want Mitt, but I am so disappointed in Obama. Your thoughts on sequestration? It is clear there will be another debt ceiling fiasco. I truly feel the congress will let us become insolvent before taxing the very rich/closing loopholes to stop the hemoraghe of off shore jobs and hidden trillions that should be patriotically invested.

Are the patriots dead? Many excellent minds here. I am very frightened.

I know how you feel, Skateluvr. I don't understand how government officials can sit on their hands for this, over a philosophical point. Remember, though, that this isn't a permanent situation. As the cuts kick in, we can make ourselves heard. Keep in your mind one of my favorite verses: Be not overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. I agree that it's appalling that business leaders look only to their own purses when ironically their lives would be even better if they lived in a more efficient, more just society. There's an old saying, "Good citizenship is good business." Not a lot of businessmen understand what it means.

As for the Pope, don't let that unsettle you. I think it's a wise move on Benedict's part because it's quite a strenuous job, and it needs someone with more strength than he has right now. The fact that papal abdication hasn't happened in centuries isn't scary. The entire papal government is running smoothly, and nothing is going to topple. There will be a new Pope, and I hope he will be someone who can reach out to people both in and outside of his faith, as John Paul did. The child molestation scandal that makes us all so furious is now out in the open, and we won't let it go back into hiding. I don't know how much church history you know, but did you know that in the Middle Ages, there was a period when there were two Popes at one time? I forget what the split was about, but a rebel Papacy was set up in Avignon, in France, so for a few years there were Popes and anti-Popes. I just looked it up, and as I thought I recalled, it was called the Babylonian Captivity. It lasted the better part of a century and is even mentioned in Dante's Divine Comedy. Human institutions are riddled with--well, humans. So they'll never work perfectly.

I know how you feel about even looking at the Speaker. The one I really can't stand to look at is Mitch McConnell. I don't know why Obama has had such trouble sitting on those jerks, but remember that he's also gotten a lot done. He's skinny and quiet, but hey, he got Bin Laden.

Tough times indeed. But we must try to take heart, as our parents and grandparents did during even tougher times. Years ago, I met a then-middle-aged woman who was a Holocaust survivor. Here is how she did it: she hid in the forest and in farmhouses at the age of thirteen. We can pray for at least a fraction of that strength.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I would say there is pleanty of blame for everyone, Repubs and Demos and the Pres. But most of all, we who re-elected 94 percent of the incumbants. You noted that the pay of the congress is uneffected by this, didnt you? The pentagon neither wants or needs an improved "Global Hawk" drone, more C-17 cargo planes, or the improved Abrams tank. But certain key legislaturers wont let these programs die cause they would cause job losses in THEIR districts. Pork is alive and well. Do I blame the Repubs for not allowing Oprah Winfrey and Stephen Spielberg to pay their fair share of taxes ? Yes. Do I blame democrats for not working to eliminate pork in the buget and lowering the deficit and debt? Yes. Do I blame Obama for not accepting congress's offer for him to make tough choices and leading us out of this mess by giving department heads the power to ditch programs like the improved Abrahms tank? Yes. After all, we are talking 3 percent...thats it for now....we have a control tower at a small airport in Spokane that doesnt need one. What a waste....but most of all , I blame the American People for not getting rid of all these Yahoos who care more about what Pfizer thinks than you do cause they need Pfizer's money to get re-elected. We have the best government that money can buy...and we refuse to end the "bribe the legislaturer" system. Unfortunately, the 3 percent for now is only for now....we need more taxes and more cuts to get us out of this long term crisis over the next ten years. If these Republicats and the pres cant deal with 3 percent now, what happens over the long term? What do they care? They have their own medical system and big saleries for life....We have met the enemy, and he is us....

skateluvr

Record Breaker
great posts guys, glad to see some people are watching c-span and up on the details. Mitch McConnell is clearly a spoiled career politician who should be put in a small house in detroit aand try to raise two kids on 48,000 a year. What can we do? I have signed dozens of great on line efforts. One great one is to change the term limits and make career politicians a memory. Two terms and you are out. No big pensions, and no medical once they leave. They need to find work and move on like millions of Americans. But what I see needed is people unafraid to tell the truth. To switch to Benedict, he was really hoping he could begin a revival of the faith in europe. He did say things that were negative toward islam/Mohammed and was trounced. It seems every leader is expected to be PC.

I get slammed for being outspoken, but my heart is so with the common man and suffering humanity. I really am upset that women are headed backward, with the idea that our "hotness" defines us. I cringe at TV to see what young women are being exposed to. We are losing women from top science jobs as they return to home, or must care for aging parents with the dementia epidemic.

I truly feel great women leaders are being supressed as so many important courses get eliminated in a failing educational system. People have to care, but with the breakdown of family and so many single mothers struggling, they are maxxed out.

I, as a catholic woman truly believe in marriage, family, fidelity, monogamy and like the values my Church espouses. Sadly, benedict was an old man and an academic who liked to retire and write. many pundits feel he is deserting us due to scandals, but he clearly is struggling, and I have great compassion as he fails. Olympia I did know of popes, ant-popes and terrible behavior in the middle ages. The Borgias were an incredible blot. I did not know the Avignon church fight lasted a century. What I did like about JP 2 was his incredible courage. Clearly, he might have retired. His great love for the elderly and disabled made us look at the suffering aging can bring. While many wanted him to step down, they did not want Ratzinger, who was inevitable. He is a gentle sweet soul and the office ravaged him. Yes, we will have a pope, and since we are now a church thriving only in the southern hemisphere, it seems likely next pope will be from South America or Africa as the poor countries lead in new vocations.

A strong pope is a great positive to the world. They, the curia, want someone between 60 and 70. I have been reading every article on this transition, and I will be following with prayer this process. There will be a Pope Emeritus, he will live in new digs in he vatican, but will be invisible. He has a book to finish, God Willing. I am like so many heartbroken over the losses on every level of the preist scandal. Billions paid out, churches closed and damage to the Church in America and Europe. It may never recover as many catholic fled. One interesting thing-right before the Pope quit, I met a Cardinal in a Boston Diner...I went to a famous healing church, which was my third "pilgrimage" in my life. Beautiful Basilica with aged preist. My PCA got lost with GPS and long story short, I'm leaving and in walks three preists, I stare and finally I recognize only from TV, Cardinal Sean O'malley! I have never been near a cardinal, and yes, as they sat waiting for a waiter, I screwed up courage approached and did ask for prayer. The spot? Victoria's diner! Very soon after, the Pope resigned. He is well liked after the Diocese came apart with the resignation of Cardinal Law who like most of his generation, dealt poorly with thee cases.

I hope people outside the faith realize that most preists are not pedophiles. So many broken hearts over all this. Mine as well. I feel when we occupy 51 percent of the power spots, the world has hope. I yearn for the day America leads in education again and we finally turn our weapons of death into plowshares. But I see women losing ground. Could you imagine feminists allowing programs like 'The Bachelor' (misogyny) and the Housewives franchises to prevail? Where are the feminists? I still can't accept the dems enthrallment with the kid named Barack over Hillary. When India has had women lead and we haven't...it really stuns me. Were I not so ill, I would try, but politics is for the rich and sturdy. Jill Stein of Massachusetts is a saint-too bad no one knew she was a great doctor who would have fought for the right side.

I often have to shut off the news. I hope our new pope id a giant of a man like JPII as he was even respected and welcomed by Fidel Castro. Courage is a rare quality I have come to feel. I guess most women will chose raising children-certainly the biggest job-over a political career or private sector do-goodism work. I understand but strongly feel women come from a less ego driven place, desiring the common good over personal gain.

To end, may the new Pope have God's ear and pray for peace. 7 billion souls on this planet need some great people. I recall the week we lost two of the eart's most famous fundraisers-little Mother Theresa and towering Lady Di. Amazing women who could show up and leave with 3 million for an appearance. I ask myself why the Kardasians are so popular and wish the family would decide to do something beside acquire more wealth-Kardashian Konversion, maybe? How can someone be a billionaire and be happy to buy properties, yachts and golden toilet fixtures? It makes me crazy.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I get slammed for being outspoken, but my heart is so with the common man and suffering humanity. I really am upset that women are headed backward,
I am not a Catholic nor do I pretend to know anything about their religion. But there was one I greatly admired...he was the head of the Seattle WA sector and though he could have had great wealth,
he chose to drive a simple car and live in a small home and raise some of his own food...I hope the Lord whispers in the new Pope's ear, "I never said that priests couldnt be married and that women couldnt be
priests". In Spokane today...a country club was fined for not allowing women to play on certain days of the week! Where is the equal rights ammendment?
I am not a repub or a demo, but think about this. If Oprah Windfrey was active in the early 1950s, in todays dollars, she would have had to pay 50-80 percent income tax on anything she would have earned over 2.5 million, which is nothing to her.And that was under a repub administration and house and senate. No body cared as few people earned that much at that time. Now we have so much concentration of wealth
that the country is full of million dollar homes.....Like you, we need to help the truely downtrodden...they need a hand up, not a hand out. Anyone who is working the system illegally to NOT work needs the boot.

I am not a Catholic nor do I pretend to know anything about their religion. But there was one I greatly admired...he was the head of the Seattle WA sector and though he could have had great wealth,
he chose to drive a simple car and live in a small home and raise some of his own food...I hope the Lord whispers in the new Pope's ear, "I never said that priests couldnt be married and that women couldnt be
priests". In Spokane today...a country club was fined for not allowing women to play on certain days of the week! Where is the equal rights ammendment?
I am not a repub or a demo, but think about this. If Oprah Windfrey was active in the early 1950s, in todays dollars, she would have had to pay 50-80 percent income tax on anything she would have earned over 2.5 million, which is nothing to her.And that was under a repub administration and house and senate. No body cared as few people earned that much at that time. Now we have so much concentration of wealth
that the country is full of million dollar homes.....Like you, we need to help the truely downtrodden...they need a hand up, not a hand out. Anyone who is working the system illegally to NOT work needs the boot.

Chris, you have brought up a point I think about constantly: during the Eisenhower administration, taxes took a much greater bite out of high incomes, and people did fine with it, because this money helped them enjoy a high standard of living: roads that worked, an efficient postal system, and employees who earned decent pay for a day's work. I don't think we need to go back to a 75% tax rate, but we can do better than we're doing now. Another thing that leads to the concentration of wealth is the salary differential between executives and the ordinary employees. The ratio is something like 125:1. If you're a CEO, you can run a company into the ground, and you will still get a golden parachute of several million dollars when asked to leave. The workers who have to be laid off because of your mistakes will get nothing.

I also hear that Congressmen say they can't reduce their own pay right now for legal reasons, yet federal workers will get one day unpaid furlough a week. I have looked this up and think it's accurate: Herbert Hoover didn't take his salary while he was President. He was a self-made millionaire and gave his salary to charity. John F. Kennedy, also wealthy in his own right, did not take his salary. Are there any Senators or Representatives who could do this? I'm sure some of them are men and women of substance. Hey, it would look like a good-faith effort. Obama has money by this time, from his books. He could do the same.

gmyers

Record Breaker
There was just a huge tax increase on the rich that will be felt very shortly as it is almost the tax deadline. The tax issue really was just dealt with in a huge and gigantic way and far more revenue will come from that than this jet loophole or whatever! Republicans embraced and voted for that tax increase and you can see now how once it happens it fades and then it's on to the next tax increase and never any discussion of spending on entitlements from anyone. Forget about senators not taking salary kick them all off social security!

Personally I think the politicians are taking us all for a ride on this sequester thing. It is obvious that budget cuts had to be made. It was also obvious that it is political suicide to cut government programs that people like and benefit from.

The solution? Set it up so that cuts happen "automatically" without it being anyone's fault.

This plan worked so well that next they will do the same with social security and medicare. It is clear that these programs are broke. On the other hand, if you cut social security benefits then old people will suffer, and if you cut medicare then sick people will suffer. Suffering citizens take it out on their elected leaders. What to do?

I think we can expect a Social Security - Medicare sequester bill soon. Set up automatic cuts in these programs to go into effect later if nobody does anything -- then don't do anything.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
SSDI goes broke in 2016. Doctors disabled me-never paid a dime. I barely get by. I hope they don't sequester these programs. Elderly/disabled have increased suicide rates, and euthanasia is in three states. nearly passed in mine this year. i see all the addicts who have no programs but jail. public works programs do work. obama has been obstructed more than any president i recall. even clinton who was nearly destroyed by the neocons who hated him for his cheating ways said he's never seen such hatred/animosity down party lines. Women in power is the answer to most issues. But few women want the grueling life that many men thrive on.

Yes, Olympia, you have it right as usual. As Chris said, the concentration of wealth in the hands of the few is unprecedented. What, I wonder will get a huge number of Americans off the iphones and into the streets? If congress does nothing, no disabled person will get a check. I used no services til recent years despite being totally disabled since age 28. I too am sick of the cheats and one group in my area that grew up on welfare. 10,000 people waiting for tiny apts and there are fakers while elderly/homeless rot. Doctors sign off on bullying and ptsd. The morons in my state passed a ballot question 2 years ago that eliminated the alcohol tax-and no one cared that tax funded rehab programs.

Obama was a different guy as candidate. He actually thought up the sequester. Both parties vote yes. He is a sneaky --- i no longer trust. He is a cold guy. I have no faith he'll fight for us. I wish Hillary had resigned and run -she would have won. She isn't perfect but she cares. Obama sadly does not. He will be a millionaire too.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sad but highly possible......anyone remember the boiling frog theory?
Personally I think the politicians are taking us all for a ride on this sequester thing. It is obvious that budget cuts had to be made. It was also obvious that it is political suicide to cut government programs that people like and benefit from.

The solution? Set it up so that cuts happen "automatically" without it being anyone's fault.

This plan worked so well that next they will do the same with social security and medicare. It is clear that these programs are broke. On the other hand, if you cut social security benefits then old people will suffer, and if you cut medicare then sick people will suffer. Suffering citizens take it out on their elected leaders. What to do?

I think we can expect a Social Security - Medicare sequester bill soon. Set up automatic cuts in these programs to go into effect later if nobody does anything -- then don't do anything.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Obama was a different guy as candidate. He actually thought up the sequester. Both parties vote yes. He is a sneaky --- i no longer trust. He is a cold guy. I have no faith he'll fight for us. I wish Hillary had resigned and run -she would have won. She isn't perfect but she cares. Obama sadly does not. He will be a millionaire too.
I cant figure him out. Forget the money....they are all millionaires and he is set for life due to us giving congress and the president healthcare and retirement packages for life. He is either in way over his head ("I will end the wars within 9 months") or he is cunning and miniplulative. I think if his main worry is his legacy, then he is in deep doo doo. If mathman is correct, he is basically working with the Republicats to ease Americans into the great depression by using death by sequester. Right now, on the evening news, Americans hate Obama about as much as they hate the Republicats.....but be careful what you wish for. Obama turned down a chance to take the sequester by the horns and delegate the cuts....he didnt want the blame for cutting this over that. That is not the sign of a leader. Next election cycle, it is possible that Americans, if they care anymore, will blame someone more than another....whoever comes out on top is taking the wheel of the Titanic after it hit the iceburg....Remember Herbert Hoover.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
What was the justification for ending liquor tax in Mass???? Its a liberal state, after all....?
SSDI goes broke in 2016. Doctors disabled me-never paid a dime. I barely get by. I hope they don't sequester these programs. Elderly/disabled have increased suicide rates, and euthanasia is in three states. nearly passed in mine this year. i see all the addicts who have no programs but jail. public works programs do work. obama has been obstructed more than any president i recall. even clinton who was nearly destroyed by the neocons who hated him for his cheating ways said he's never seen such hatred/animosity down party lines. Women in power is the answer to most issues. But few women want the grueling life that many men thrive on.

Yes, Olympia, you have it right as usual. As Chris said, the concentration of wealth in the hands of the few is unprecedented. What, I wonder will get a huge number of Americans off the iphones and into the streets? If congress does nothing, no disabled person will get a check. I used no services til recent years despite being totally disabled since age 28. I too am sick of the cheats and one group in my area that grew up on welfare. 10,000 people waiting for tiny apts and there are fakers while elderly/homeless rot. Doctors sign off on bullying and ptsd. The morons in my state passed a ballot question 2 years ago that eliminated the alcohol tax-and no one cared that tax funded rehab programs.