Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: You guys are WHAT?

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Well Mr. P was nice enough to go to Skate America with me and even was some what engaged with the competition.

Bouncing off what Chris said, I do recommend Skate America (or Skate Canada if you live close to a Canadian city) as a good alternative to Worlds, especially if the city is within driving distance to where you live (which it was for me). It was the perfect competition to dip my feet into. There's only 10 skaters in men's and ladies and 8 pairs/dance so the sessions aren't as long, which is great for someone like my husband who isn't really a skating fan.
    I have never been to the practices what are they like? Is it fun and worth while to go to them? I was also planning on taking a 5 year old for an hour or so as the tickets are pretty cheap and am wondering if she would like going/ She will watch the pairs on tv with me, but I am not sure do the competitors play their music as well? Is there anyway to find out for sure which athletes are practising in each group, I have seen the practice times.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by waterblades View Post
    I have never been to the practices what are they like? Is it fun and worth while to go to them? I was also planning on taking a 5 year old for an hour or so as the tickets are pretty cheap and am wondering if she would like going/ She will watch the pairs on tv with me, but I am not sure do the competitors play their music as well? Is there anyway to find out for sure which athletes are practising in each group, I have seen the practice times.
    To be honest, I didn't go to any of the practices. I sometimes wish I did because it's a chance to size up the competition ---but for the most part, I was glad to have the extra time to sleep in, eat breakfast, etc. etc.

Chris and Doris can probably provide some perspective on going to practices.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The practice groups for nationals are generally listed on the website or someone will post them.

At Worlds, AFAIR, the teams practice with the group of skaters who will be in their warmup group.

However, mostly, I only go to practice if there is a favorite of mine who is a great skater in practice, but not in performance, like Rohene Ward...usually people like Rohene are not at Worlds. Or if it's the very last chance I'm going to have to see a skater I really like...something that will be happening next year

Custom Title
    Another reason to go to practice sessions, Miki Ando's 4Sal and Midori's 3A-3T.
    A lot of them don't put their hardest tricks out, but do them in practice. Would be cool to see those.

Practices totally rock. Many of the skaters do complete run-throughs. The top skaters treat the practices like a performance, another chance to strut their stuff before the judges and whatever audience attends.

Michelle Kwan was the best. She performed the heck out of her practices, complete with applause-milking bows at the end.

The coolest one I saw was one year at Skate America Ann Patrice McDonough was the last one on the ice. She put on a solo show for about 15 minutes, practicing two difference versions of her program, trying to decide which to use. (Should Madame Butterfly slit her throat at the end or just do a scratch spin and let it go at that?)

Custom Title
    A group of skaters practice on the ice at the same time. some are in costume. Some aren't. The music of each is played in turn. Some do their whole programme, some work on parts. For a five year old? Gee, i don't know.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Coolest thing I saw was Michelle do her short and long back to back and get a standing O.

And Rohene doing 2a inboth directions.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The practice groups for nationals are generally listed on the website or someone will post them.

At Worlds, AFAIR, the teams practice with the group of skaters who will be in their warmup group.
    http://www.worlds2013.ca/event/pdf/2...chedule_en.pdf
    So the little number listed in the coloured sections tells me the warm up group, is group one "the top skaters'? When would the start orders or at least the warm up groups get listed?

They are being very late about practice groups, which is a PITA. Practice groups seem to be random, not the top skaters. Mathman is right. Practices are great but I dont know if a 5 year old is gonna appreciate what is going on.
    Here is why I go to all the practices I can.
    1. Let us say practice group 1 is Yu-Na, Ashley, Mao, and three other ladies. Usually one or so dont show up. There is a six minute warm up where they all skate around trying not to hit each other and then their music is played one time in the following order...or so the announcer says...if Yu-Na is a no show, then they still play her music or some music. The announcer will say, First is Yu-Na Kim skating her short program. Next will be Ashley Wagner.
    2. The lady whose music is playing usually goes out, takes a set, and her music is started....but she doesnt have to skate her whole program or any part of it....she may not even jump till her music is over and someone else is skating. The lady whose music is playing has the right of way but everyone else is out there practicing at the same time. If you are lucky you are sitting near a coach like Mr. Nicks who likes to sit in the stands somewhere and talk with Ashley and work on things. You can hear the interaction sometimes. You can see who is on and who is not...if you can read faces and body language, it helps....some coaches like to stay in an area the fans cant get too...some dont mind being with the fans and talking with them before and after the practice. It is common for skaters to sign a few autographs after the practice is over, but before the next group. When the last skater's music is done, the announcer will say, Ladies, there are 8 minutes left in this warm-up. When a skater is done with the practice, they go to to center of the ice and take a bow. Some will then sign autographs till the announcer says, Ladies, this practice is over, will you please leave the ice. Then the announcer will launch the next group by saying, "This is the official practice for ladies group B (or 2). Will the following skaters please take the ice for a six minute warmup? Dorthy Hamill, Michelle Kwan, Peggy Flemming, Naomi Nary Nam, and Mirai Nagasu. And it starts again.
    http://www.worlds2013.ca/event/pdf/2...chedule_en.pdf
    So the little number listed in the coloured sections tells me the warm up group, is group one "the top skaters'? When would the start orders or at least the warm up groups get listed?

I have never been to the practices what are they like? Is it fun and worth while to go to them? I was also planning on taking a 5 year old for an hour or so as the tickets are pretty cheap and am wondering if she would like going.
    Does she have a favorite skater or pairs team? This is a good chance to get an autograph or a personal hello.

Almost all skaters are pleased to be recognized and appreciated by fans and will go out of their way to be nice to children.

Rinkside

Practice schedule for Monday and Tuesday

Here is the schedule for Monday and Tuesday - times for each group in practice.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/WC2...otationAll.pdf

Practice is fun to watch - lots of action. Just be prepared that everyone will not be in costume and they may not do the full run through of their program. If your little friend is watching on TV, I think they would find the live practice interesting.

Tripping on the Podium
    Thanks for the info everyone! I have had a bunch of questions this week from Londoners who wanted to go to this event and didn't know what to expect, with your help I was was able to answer their questions and decide that yes my niece would enjoy this. Looks like Scott and Tessa are on the ice when we were planing on going! I think she will like it and we aren't planning the whole day just an hour or two.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Almost all skaters are pleased to be recognized and appreciated by fans and will go out of their way to be nice to children.
    You are correct!
    I won't name names, but a certain US skater got on my nerve for this very reason. Here's a hint, she's won the US National twice and in a row. Not Michelle Kwan.

Custom Title
    Practices sound just heavenly. The thought of seeing someone like Rohene Ward when he's relaxed and can do all his best tricks is marvelous. Thanks for all the details, everyone. You're all sparkling reporters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2