2013 Junior Worlds Ladies FS | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2013 Junior Worlds Ladies FS

Icey

Record Breaker
I am shocked. I didn't see Russia getting a sweep not with the US ladies around. I am not sure if Sam deserved bronze but maybe this is "karma or a balancing act because many felt the US didn't deserve gold in the pairs? thanks to Russia the US domination was prevented but who would Canada showed some promise here too - almost three ladies I think.

Yes, Kaetlyn is going to have some competition on her hands soon.

katymay

Medalist
Poor Samantha. I loved her programm.

What do you think about Chartrand? I see a bright future for her.

I think if the other Canadian girl can avoid the puberty monster she may well be the next big thing. In my mind she has the IT factor. Cartrand is good, but lacks the commond of the ice that Gabby has. (But Gabby needs to clean up her landings and not let them get away from her)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I agree. Samantha had one of the most mature, beautiful performances tonight. I think she deserved to be on the podium here...

she got hit by major downgrades even worst than Satoko
is she prone to UR ? never followed cesario

Also Park So Youn got hosed on the PCS again. She's elegant, showed good flow and expression and I don't understand her marks at all.

A lovely skater, a real shame she lost the focus at the end of the program and did those silly mistakes.

She is, unfortunately.

Cherryy

On the Ice

Well, just no. Satoko underrotated every single triple, except for the first triple flutz. Doubt anyone else had such problems with URs

emdee

Final Flight
I think if the other Canadian girl can avoid the puberty monster she may well be the next big thing. In my mind she has the IT factor. Cartrand is good, but lacks the commond of the ice that Gabby has. (But Gabby needs to clean up her landings and not let them get away from her)
I saw gabby live she has high energy levels and I think is post puberty.

Icey

Record Breaker

At Nationals she had a total of one UR in both programs and that was on the salchow. No edge call, I believe.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just watched MIYAHARA's FS and not sure why some thought her program is lovely. Same here as before, she barely has any facial expression on her face (much worse than Julia), and if I need to worry about any of the 14 year olds losing jumps, she is the first to worry. Her extremely knee bend reminds me of Risa Shoji, who used to have good jumps and skates much more beautifully than Miyahara, but now she is nowhere, even though Miyahara is proportionally more slender at this moment.

yuki

Final Flight
The quality of her jumps is really terrible.

She barely gets off the ice and her knee bend is so deep on the landings, I'm almost expecting her to hit the ice with the free leg every time she lands. That being said, she actually got lower PCS than TES at this competition - just to put into perspective how ridiculous her PCS really were.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Gabby Daleman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eZe2p1LVSZo

Alaine Chartrand:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxwryv_jwc-2013-alaine-chartrand-fs_sport#from=embediframe

Just wanted to send a huge shout out to Canadians Gabrielle Daleman (6th) and Alaine Chartrand (8th) who both had amazing performances and came oh so close to getting a third women's spot for Canada. Both of these girls made the senior podium at Canadian nationals this past January, and were able to show why here. Such bright futures, and so much to be proud of!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Has Cesario been getting hit with UR jumps this season? Or last season?

At JGP Austria last fall, she only had 1 UR, on the 2A sequence and the edge call on the Lutz. She actually beat Hannah Miller in the FS here, though she got third overall.
At JGP Poland in 2011, she had 1 UR (filp), and the lutz edge call.
At JGP Estonia 2011, she had 2 URs (all on the 3 jump combo, both the 3S and 2Lo were ruled as UR) and hte edge call.

So she has had URs at every junior competition, but hardly chronic...it's like the judges said -- oh let's give you UR for all the jumps you've cumulatively gotten URs in the past! (I know that is not what happened...but just being funny).

Leonardo

Final Flight
I'm sad because Cesario got a 4th here. Losing to Pogorilaya was unacceptable. Crowd booed a bit, but they should have protested more, as well as the USA federation (what can they do in that situation? In gymnastics, you can protest scores related to the Difficult of the program, something like the base value in figure skating)

My opinion on all of this: First of all: technicall callers have too much power. They can basically decide who wins and who loses. The judges have to give negative or 0 goe when the jump was given a ur call, even if they thought the jump was fine. The other problem is that there's no clear definition of a take-off and landing, not enough details regarding the definition of technicall elements.
Second: Judges don't help when they give pcs totally based on the reputation of the skater. They simply chose a mark, and repeat it for almost all pcs, except for transitions, which is a little lower. PCS should be judged by a separated panel, imo.
But an even bigger problem is this OBSESSION with rotations, under rotations and so on. A competition like that is what happens when the tech panel doesn't let the skaters skate. Horrible results that don't reflect the actual performances.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
While I think Samantha should have received bronze, I hope that she will learn from this competition. She does give away points on the levels of her spins (they should be level 4....and level 1 is just unacceptable). And she needs to works and make sure those landings are clean so the judge cannot have any doubts on their rotation.