Brief Q&A with Sasha Cohen at U.S. Nationals | Golden Skate

Brief Q&A with Sasha Cohen at U.S. Nationals

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130126/SPORTS/701269875/1742

Q: You won the Olympic silver in 2006 and took silver at the world championships later that year. Will you ultimately remember 2006 as a year of great achievement or as a year where you fell short of your goals?

A: As it was closer, it was very difficult for me. I did my best, and I have no regrets. But I was very injured between (the U.S. championships) and the Olympics. My first clean short program was at the Olympics. That was just so traumatizing going into something knowing you weren’t prepared but trying your best to be. I was receiving steroid treatments three times a day and thinking, “Why is this happening to me?” But, ultimately, as an event in my life, it wasn’t perfect. It wasn’t that golden, fairy tale ending. But something in me is stronger because of that. I had to deal with that difficulty and come back from it. I can’t quite put my finger on it yet, but as time goes by, I appreciate the dichotomy of it, the difficulty, and the jubilation and victory of overcoming something. It’s bittersweet, but at this point, I don’t know if I would go back and change it. It’s kind of defined who I am now.

Here is Sasha inventing a new kind of sit spin. ;)

http://www.sashacohen.com/gallery/56.jpg

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thanks for the link! Sasha's looks just adorable in that photo!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
damm Sasha may just be the most photogenic skater we've ever had.

She is tremendously photogenic, isn't she.

One thing she said that is very telling is that "you kind of see your life ending at the end of that Olympic cycle." I can imagine that the post-Olympics feeling, whether you succeed or you don't reach your goals, must be pretty cataclysmic. And many of these skaters are high school age. That makes me admire them even more.

I really like this quote:

I can’t quite put my finger on it yet, but as time goes by, I appreciate the dichotomy of it, the difficulty, and the jubilation and victory of overcoming something. It’s bittersweet, but at this point, I don’t know if I would go back and change it. It’s kind of defined who I am now.

If you had the power to go back in time and change some of the things in your life that did not go the way you hoped, would you do it? Or would you say, it is what it is. My life is my life. I am who I am.

http://www.sashacohen.com/images/homepic8.png

senatormls

On the Ice
She is as limber as ever! She'll always be known for her flexibility. I wonder about her future goals.

noskates

Record Breaker
I've often wondered how a skater resolves that "finality" after the Olympics. I think that's why some of them try to stay in the sport long after they probably should have retired. When nearly your whole life is consumed with practice, working out, eating correctly, battling injuries, worrying about choreography and costuming and politics..................then all of a sudden your day doesn't involve being at the rink at a certain time, etc. I admire those skaters who go to college even though they're still competing, just for that reason. They have a Plan B after their competitive days are over.

Sasha is beautiful. Her dresses were always gorgeous and her choreography was really good. BUT.....I never relaxed while I was watching her skate!