Thread: Jason Brown: I can "begin working on quads" [after Milan silver], per Hersh story (Mar 2)

Hybrid View

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

Jason Brown: I can "begin working on quads" [after Milan silver], per Hersh story (Mar 2)

Jason Brown: I can "begin working on quads" [after Milan silver], per Hersh story (Mar 2)

Highland Park figure skater Brown helps make history
    By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
    4:46 p.m. CST, March 2, 2013
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,1623762.story

Excerpt:
    "This was a huge confidence jump. Now I can start treating the triple axel as just any jump and begin working on quads. I definitely feel I am ready to move forward now."
    Brown knows he would need a quad to have any chance of making the 2014 Olympic team.
    "My main goal is 2018," he said. "We have a five-year plan leading to that. It's possible to get there in 2014, but I don't want to focus on that and the quad too much if there would be a risk of getting injured by trying to rush."

ETA: Forgot to express my congratulations to all three American men: Farris, Brown, and Omori.
    Last edited by golden411; 03-02-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It's nice to see a Phil Hersh story where there is absolutely nothing bad he can say about any of the US skaters. It's hard to argue with them finishing 1-2-3.

I wonder what summer competitions Jason is going to do, to try out a quad, if he does so at all?

Custom Title
    He's playing it smart by not rushing things. And I'm sure his hips appreciate it!

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Most of this isn't a surprise if you've seen Jason's performances at junior worlds (where he nailed 3 triple axels). But it is good to know that he won't rush to get a quad, and won't pressure himself to make the Sochi Olympic team. It'll probably lead to a longer and healthier career!

Custom Title
    I am SUCH a fan of Jason Brown. I, too, am glad he's moving at a decent pace instead of destroying his lower body - knees, hips, back - to perfect a jump. He's young - he has time. But what an exciting skater to watch. He really knows how to play to the crowd and the crowd loves sit.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I am SUCH a fan of Jason Brown. I, too, am glad he's moving at a decent pace instead of destroying his lower body - knees, hips, back - to perfect a jump. He's young - he has time. But what an exciting skater to watch. He really knows how to play to the crowd and the crowd loves sit.
    I agree. I admire the time he and his team took to perfect the 3A. Of course, that meant torture for his fans of "will he ever land a 3A or not?" for the last year, but man, so exciting to finally see him hit 3 of them with no UR and +GOE!

And I think this slow and steady approach with his jumps has allowed him to incorporate them in his programs more naturally. He still telegraphs the jump a bit, but I think we'll see his cool entrances with the 3A soon enough.

Not only that, got to love he has the 3F-1L-3S combo now in his arsenal as well.

I need to find a way to see this guy live.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-03-2013 at 01:38 AM.