Jason Brown: I can "begin working on quads" [after Milan silver], per Hersh story (Mar 2) | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: I can "begin working on quads" [after Milan silver], per Hersh story (Mar 2)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jason Brown: I can "begin working on quads" [after Milan silver], per Hersh story (Mar 2)

Highland Park figure skater Brown helps make history
By Philip Hersh, Tribune reporter
4:46 p.m. CST, March 2, 2013
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...n-helps-make-history-20130302,0,1623762.story

Excerpt:
"This was a huge confidence jump. Now I can start treating the triple axel as just any jump and begin working on quads. I definitely feel I am ready to move forward now."
Brown knows he would need a quad to have any chance of making the 2014 Olympic team.
"My main goal is 2018," he said. "We have a five-year plan leading to that. It's possible to get there in 2014, but I don't want to focus on that and the quad too much if there would be a risk of getting injured by trying to rush."

ETA: Forgot to express my congratulations to all three American men: Farris, Brown, and Omori. :bow:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's nice to see a Phil Hersh story where there is absolutely nothing bad he can say about any of the US skaters. It's hard to argue with them finishing 1-2-3.

I wonder what summer competitions Jason is going to do, to try out a quad, if he does so at all?

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Most of this isn't a surprise if you've seen Jason's performances at junior worlds (where he nailed 3 triple axels). But it is good to know that he won't rush to get a quad, and won't pressure himself to make the Sochi Olympic team. It'll probably lead to a longer and healthier career!

noskates

Record Breaker
I am SUCH a fan of Jason Brown. I, too, am glad he's moving at a decent pace instead of destroying his lower body - knees, hips, back - to perfect a jump. He's young - he has time. But what an exciting skater to watch. He really knows how to play to the crowd and the crowd loves sit.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I am SUCH a fan of Jason Brown. I, too, am glad he's moving at a decent pace instead of destroying his lower body - knees, hips, back - to perfect a jump. He's young - he has time. But what an exciting skater to watch. He really knows how to play to the crowd and the crowd loves sit.

I agree. I admire the time he and his team took to perfect the 3A. Of course, that meant torture for his fans of "will he ever land a 3A or not?" for the last year, but man, so exciting to finally see him hit 3 of them with no UR and +GOE!

And I think this slow and steady approach with his jumps has allowed him to incorporate them in his programs more naturally. He still telegraphs the jump a bit, but I think we'll see his cool entrances with the 3A soon enough. :)

Not only that, got to love he has the 3F-1L-3S combo now in his arsenal as well.

I need to find a way to see this guy live.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I need to find a way to see this guy live.

Ditto.

I was skint when the JGP was in Brisbane, or I would have gone.

One of my favourite things about the way Kori has handled him is that she always puts his health first. Feeling sore? No triple Axel today. etc.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ditto.

I was skint when the JGP was in Brisbane, or I would have gone.

One of my favourite things about the way Kori has handled him is that she always puts his health first. Feeling sore? No triple Axel today. etc.

Thinking of Greensboro in 2015....we'll see!

ETA: I love Kori and Jason's relationship. Warm, yet very respectful. I think it's great that she allows Jason to challenge himself with interesting pieces of choreography. And I agree, she is very wise about when or when not to put an element in. I think, again, while it was pure torture for us fans that they did not put the 3A earlier, I can see why she had him leave it out. Given his UR/2-foots of the 3A early in the season, it would have looked very poor late last season and probably would have affected the flow of the overall program. I think they want it to be confident in the jump enough that they could incorporate it that even if there's an error (two-foot/UR) it would not interrupt the overall flow.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jason does a number of shows, and has done summer comps in the past.

Last year he was at Evening With Champions in Boston.

I know he has done the Galleria show in Texas.

Last year he did the Glacier Falls summer competition.

He & his coach will be training in Colorado Springs; I would not be surprised if he entered the summer competition there this year.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He certainly seems to be an intelligent and thoughtful young man.

It appears that those-in-the-know agree that his coaching staff is bringing him along in a measured way that will preserve his body, and increase his longevity.

His half-Beillman (did I spell that correctly?) looks like it would take a lesser toll on the hips and back than the full version, and at least he has developed the flexibility to perform the move in a way that doesn't look labored.

I am still not a fan of those types of spins in general.

noskates

Record Breaker
Karne - what does skint mean?

The first time I remember noticing Jason was at Nats in San Jose. There was a buzz about him before he skated his short. People sitting next to us brought us up to date on his accomplishments so far (I really don't follow Junior skating much) There is just something about this kid that draws you in. He came within 4 pts of winning Jr. Worlds, too. But congrats to Jason Ferris. It's nice to know the US has two up and comers. I think the competition between the two will be fun to watch over the next years.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I am just thrilled for the way things turned out for Jason. He skated as if he owned that ice in Milan, not every skater can accomplish that.
Slow and steady has paid off for him. He has determination and a clear vision of what he would like to accomplish, add to that a bucket full
of talent and I do believe the US has a future champion not only nationally but internationally as well.

emma

Record Breaker
A quick shout out and heart-felt congrats to the junior men medalists - woot woot!!!

As for Jason, I couldn't be more happy for him and for all of his fans! Getting that triple axel is a huge accomplishment. I very much like the measured approach he seems to be following - especially if this helps prevent injuries. I wish him all the very best with his quad training and really look forward to the programs he unveils for next season (quad ready or not) too.

Now, I'm totally a Jason uber and on the band wagon, but will just say that regardless of what happens - whether the axel gets even more secure and a bit lest telegrahed, whether he gets the quad or not - I really, really enjoy his skating and truly look forward to seeing him at any opportunity. That said, it would be amazing if he could master the quad - he and Josh (among others) could bring a enormous amount of excitement to men's skating at a time when we might see retirements of a lot of amazing men (like perhaps Daisuke, Patrick, Jeremy and perhaps still others).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Karne - what does skint mean?

Oops, I hadn't realised that this was an Australianism. Broke, effectively. I had literally zero spare money.

That said, it would be amazing if he could master the quad - he and Josh (among others) could bring a enormous amount of excitement to men's skating at a time when we might see retirements of a lot of amazing men (like perhaps Daisuke, Patrick, Jeremy and perhaps still others).

Between Max, Ross, Joshua and Jason, if the USFSA can't make excitement and stardom, they're doing something pretty wrong. Although the USFSA always seems reluctant to try and promote or make a superstar out of anybody other than a lady. Ridiculous IMO.