Who surprised you this season? | Golden Skate

Who surprised you this season?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I have to say some truly amazing, good talent emerged. To me, the biggest surprise in male singles was Max Aaron's two programs and win at Nationals. I must say that while he lacks the style of a Jeremy or Rippon, he is very fast, exciting, and picked a great LP music to show off his loose style. His skating is not very defined in details but I had never heard the name nor had I ever seen a snippet before he won the gold! Exciting stuff. The other nice surprise from an American male for me is Jason Brown. I love his skating, oozes style with great detail. His LP is a joy to watch...I loved the choreography.

Across to Europe, I absolutely love Carolina's programs this year. I hope she can perform her best at worlds. Were both these done by Laurie Nichols? Carolina is a choreographer's dream. Everyone is saying here on GS that the podium is surely some order of Caro, Yuna and Mao if all skate well. Having finally seen Caro's programs, I think judges will like the novelty so late in season-or will that go against her-sitting out the GP? She is the only female whose both programs captivate me. Can she win, with her technical arsenal over a stronger Yuna? I really find Yuna's SP forgettable but her LP to Les Mis as performed at Korean Nationals was a delight. Yuna was committed and passionate. Warm Yuna skated that day. Loved it! Mao's LP is delightful and a great TAT vehicle for her. That said, her SP is for me, very cute, but juniorish and forgettable.

It is Caro who once again keeps me glued to every movement with two fab music choices. I never thought a few years back that i would add Caro to my list of fave skaters, but I have. I would be happy to see her win. Ashley and Philip Mills are another good team. I like bother her programs and hope she can hold it together at Worlds.

The last two wonderful surprises for the ladies were the 17 year old North American girls, Gracie and Kaetlyn. Gracies' LP at Nationals was incredible. I had never seen her skate a perfect program and it was awesome! If only she learns to compete every event! I loved the LP. But the sudden stardom of Osmond makes me think canada could have a huge star again. I loved Joannie, she was my favorite Cnd lady ever, but Osmond is an amazing young dancer who can jump. She is a beautiful girl who sparkles.

What a great surprise! Just when you were sad that Canada had no great lady to offer, Osmond appears. New to me. I just enjoy this gal so much. She is a joy and may she skate long and often.

Another lady I did not know of since she was out two years is USA's Samantha Cesario. She is a beautiful skater, so elegant, and her black Swan LP is seamless. I think she is lovely. I have forgotten where she placed at Nationals, but she is lovely. At 19, she skated junior worlds-? Not sure how this works, but I am impressed. I wish her well and imagine more difficult jump combos are what holds her down. She's new to me. So, with dance, pairs or other singles, who or what surprised you this season. I mentioned what I liked. What surprised you pos or neg this season? Hard to believe worlds is almost here and that's it. :popcorn:

Last edited:
None of the things that you mentioned are surprising in the slightest because they are the same as last season. ;)

Osmond being the exception. She is the surprise of the season.

Great jumps, extremely well choreographed programs, great charisma on the ice. She has the whole package if there ever was one.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And Max Aaron who was 8th last year, and now Champion is not a shocker? How many here even remember him from last year unless they are ubers like you that watch every junior performance? Programs change every year, and what is like last year? Also, the Q is what surprised/shocked in any way...Osmond is not the only surprise-but clearly the lovliest!

How about on the negative? Any performance or program leave you wretching?;)

noskates

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold! And Jason Brown surprised me last year and only got better this year.

Max Aaron surprised me because I had never noticed him before - but I'm not a fan of his skating style.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not yet mentioned... Surprised in a good way:

Javier Fernandez. I know he's not new to the world stage, but it's the first year I've actually taken notice. I thought he was destined to become one of the second-tier skaters... talented, of course, but not really a podium threat in a major championship.

B/Z, US pairs bronze medalists. They are the first American pair in many years that I would bother to watch a replay. I look forward to their continued development.

Surprised in a bad way:

Edited before posting... I'll keep those thoughts to myself.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
How about on the negative? Any performance or program leave you wretching?;)

Two SPs - Jason's, and Artur's. Didn't like either of them. I think Artur has gone too "serious" too fast.

Good surprises: Max and Ross. I didn't pay all that much attention to the US men except Josh and Jason before now. But their smiles as they skated at Nationals had me in a heartbeat.

yuki

Final Flight
Javier Fernandez - already liked him from last year, but he really seems to have come into his own this year; his LP this year is so fun to watch and such a great fit for him.

Kaetlyn Osmond - fierce, energetic, great personality - I just love her Mambo SP. I noticed her last year at Canadian Nationals, where she won the SP, so she didn't appear completely out of nowhere.

Zijun Li - absolutely lovely :love:. If you're going to be a pretty princess in a pastel dress skating to soft ballet music, this is the way to do it.

Papadakis/Cizeron - watched them for the first time at Junior Worlds and I'm already a fan.

Kanako Murakami - her LP at Japanese Nationals is one of the highlights of this season for me.

Akiko Suzuki - that I love both her programs this year just like I did last year is an extremely pleasant surprise for me :biggrin:.

Special mentions go to:

- the Russian girls' team at Europeans
- the Japanese boys' team in the GP series - 12 medals total (and 5 of the 7 golds!), including the GPF. When I want to forget about Japanese Nationals and 4CC, I think about how great they all were at the start of the season.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Pogorilaya - just another Russian skater to a JGPF and Junior World bronze medalist

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Carolina - She is doing a 3Z very well now and attempting the 3F-3T. Her content is world class and I think she has the best programs this year.

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Christina Gao
Courtney Hicks (at Nationals)
Castelli & Shnapir
Sciemeca & Knierim
Zhang & Bartholomay
Chock & Bates
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I took note of Max at the '12 Nat'ls & followed him through the summer & autumn competitions & cheered him on as he became consistent with his quads. I had a feeling he would medal but must admit I didn't expect the gold. Thrilled with the results for the US boys at Jr. Worlds. Omori at 17 is looking good & was a surprise for me. Reynolds of Canada winning the 4 CC's was a surprise,

emma

Record Breaker
I took note of Max at the '12 Nat'ls & followed him through the summer & autumn competitions & cheered him on as he became consistent with his quads. I had a feeling he would medal but must admit I didn't expect the gold. Thrilled with the results for the US boys at Jr. Worlds. Omori at 17 is looking good & was a surprise for me. Reynolds of Canada winning the 4 CC's was a surprise,

TOtally agree - I really thought Max we be among the contenders - I hoped that Abbot would skate clean as he has in the past and wow us and win; I also thought Rippon might surprise; but I thought Minor and Durnbush would be fighting for a place, and that Max would be 'in the hunt' - that he skated so well and won was a jaw dropper for me, but I was thrilled for him!

I haven't seen Omori yet - but so look forward to it. Reynolds winning 4CCs was totally unexpected for me (and I am still sorry that Dai among others didn't have their best outings), but I was thrilled for him. It is really always so nice to see skaters do their best, and it is also so nice to see people achieve something - a first - for them. Whent the two happen together I find myself smiling for days!

I think I would say Osmond was a real surprise to me - and good for her!

And agreeing with another poster, I was surprised by just how well Fernandez did in the Fall - as the poster said, not new to the world scene, but not quite up there and perhaps destined not to be - but then, wow, showing he really can't/shouldn't be counted out, fun!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, some nice surprises that I hadn't thought of... thank you for reminding me of Kevin Reynolds. I've very interested to see if his recent success carries into Worlds.

Pogorilaya... sorry, I just don't see the appeal. To each his own, I guess.

meem

On the Ice
Two big surprises for me: Gao and Aaron. I was surprised by Christina's new look to her skating - very serene and elegant. Must admit I hadn't remembered much of Max so this year's SP and LP at Nationals really was quite an exciting and wonderful shock. One more surprise: how much I loved C&L's free dance to "Carmen". Soooo very Italian in presentation, which made this old music warhorse come alive for me. Can't wait to watch them at Worlds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Max Aaron and Kevin Reynolds were amazing surprises as was Pogorilaya. I have to say Fernandez and Cesario were always good imho so no surprise. I kind of expected one of the American pairs to have a break through this year so that was a surprise it has not happened as of yet. katelyn osmond sort of came out of no where and that was nice. Not so nice was to see the down fall of Nagasu and Zhang. I was surprised in some ways to see Evan and Johnny to come back but not surprised if this makes sense that once they came back they never competed or dropped out quickly. I am surprised that Chan hasn't realized he needs a real coach. Chock and Bates a nice surprise; surprised to see the Shibs fall behind to no. 3 in USA. Surprised about the injuries to the dance teams who ironically train together P and B and W and P. Surprised to see B and L be favored over the dumped K and S.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Surprised by the fact that there are people who praise Caro's Bolero LP. It's musically boring, and her interpretation is just awful. Not to mention, lack of transitions..

anyways,
my real Surprise is Mao's intense LP. With 3A and Triple-Triple, I'm excited to see if she can fully deliver her potentials at the Worlds.
Yuna is no surprise, I knew she would do well on her comeback.

figuristka

Medalist
Kaetlyn Osmond as i hadn't realized she was a contender for any of the senior gp events. Also Max Aaron i hadn't even seen before Nationals. Hanyu's short program surprised me as his marks got a record and not sure anyone can catch a clean short. Surprised at Patrick's coaching change and hope he gains his consistency back.

LRK

Record Breaker
Surprised to see B and L be favored over the dumped K and S.

I agree with this so much! In fact, it astonishes me still - to the degree that I'm still in denial. I mean, my mind knows it has happened, but my heart refuses to believe it! I just can't comprehend it... (And I don't even "hate" - even in the diluted sense - B&L; they are pleasant enough, but... no, don't get it.)