Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who surprised you this season?

Custom Title
    Two big surprises for me: Gao and Aaron. I was surprised by Christina's new look to her skating - very serene and elegant. Must admit I hadn't remembered much of Max so this year's SP and LP at Nationals really was quite an exciting and wonderful shock. One more surprise: how much I loved C&L's free dance to "Carmen". Soooo very Italian in presentation, which made this old music warhorse come alive for me. Can't wait to watch them at Worlds.

Custom Title
    Max Aaron and Kevin Reynolds were amazing surprises as was Pogorilaya. I have to say Fernandez and Cesario were always good imho so no surprise. I kind of expected one of the American pairs to have a break through this year so that was a surprise it has not happened as of yet. katelyn osmond sort of came out of no where and that was nice. Not so nice was to see the down fall of Nagasu and Zhang. I was surprised in some ways to see Evan and Johnny to come back but not surprised if this makes sense that once they came back they never competed or dropped out quickly. I am surprised that Chan hasn't realized he needs a real coach. Chock and Bates a nice surprise; surprised to see the Shibs fall behind to no. 3 in USA. Surprised about the injuries to the dance teams who ironically train together P and B and W and P. Surprised to see B and L be favored over the dumped K and S.

Surprised by the fact that there are people who praise Caro's Bolero LP. It's musically boring, and her interpretation is just awful. Not to mention, lack of transitions..

anyways,
    my real Surprise is Mao's intense LP. With 3A and Triple-Triple, I'm excited to see if she can fully deliver her potentials at the Worlds.
    Yuna is no surprise, I knew she would do well on her comeback.

Kaetlyn Osmond as i hadn't realized she was a contender for any of the senior gp events. Also Max Aaron i hadn't even seen before Nationals. Hanyu's short program surprised me as his marks got a record and not sure anyone can catch a clean short. Surprised at Patrick's coaching change and hope he gains his consistency back.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Surprised to see B and L be favored over the dumped K and S.
    I agree with this so much! In fact, it astonishes me still - to the degree that I'm still in denial. I mean, my mind knows it has happened, but my heart refuses to believe it! I just can't comprehend it... (And I don't even "hate" - even in the diluted sense - B&L; they are pleasant enough, but... no, don't get it.)

~high art~
    Patrick. Brilliant free program and his emotive interpretation of the music is convincing and does not feel forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Surprised by the fact that there are people who praise Caro's Bolero LP. It's musically boring, and her interpretation is just awful. Not to mention, lack of transitions..

anyways,
    my real Surprise is Mao's intense LP. With 3A and Triple-Triple, I'm excited to see if she can fully deliver her potentials at the Worlds.
    I love Caro's Bolero. She cannot put a foot wrong!

Mao getting her triple Axel back. You gotta give her credit for her tenacity.

Yuna's FS at Korean Nationals. It's quite rare to see her do a clean LP.

Max Aaron and Kevin Reynolds

Ashley's national FS (negative surprise), Gao's international results

Carolina increasing her difficulty was expected (not really a surprise) given Yuna and Mao's return to form.

This thead is a little premature, though. I'm sure the season has more surprises left for us at Worlds.

Custom Title

anyways,
    ITA Good points.

The biggest surprises of the season for me were 1) Kaetlyn Osmond coming out and killing it 2) Max Aaron winning Nationals - I was shocked; I never ever saw that coming and 3) Kevin Reynolds winning Four Continents. In Japan. With Takahashi and Hanyu there. Kevin improved a lot at that competition and really surprised me.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I love Caro's Bolero. She cannot put a foot wrong
    Me too. Caro’s Bolero is the best ladies’ LP this season, better than Asada’s and Yuna’s programs. I disagree with that criticism of Caro. Watching Asada live at 4CC she was boring and her score was overmarked. Yuna I haven’t watched her live this season but her programs look boring on TV. I’m looking forward to Caro’s Bolero at Worlds… and Suzuki’s Kill Bill was so fun live too.

Custom Title
    I agree in part--no transitions and Bolero is a boring musical piece. But I actually think her interpretation is quite good. Bolero was a good choice for her, because it slowed her down. I also don't think, aside from COP requirements, that the lack of transitions is a negative. Her skating goes very well with the the music and the arm movements are reminiscent of the famous ballet to Bolero. It is interesting to me that Carolina is now Lori Nichol's muse. Lori's work for Carolina is, in my opinion, the best work she has done since she worked with Michelle.

Custom Title
    Although her season ended sadly, Kiira Korpi surprised me with her improved LP attitude. In her three GP long programs she moved from 4th to 3rd, from 2nd to 1st and kept her 4th place in the final.

I too thought how Caro is Nichols current muse, except that Caro has to do so much more footwork under CoP. Lori's masterpieces with MK are simple compared to what she can do with Caro's speed, lines etc. Caro is now among my faves, I really am glad she stayed in. She is magic.

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    I LOVE Caro's Bolero! I guess you could say I am surprised that she could come up with a program I like as well as I liked both her SP and LP last year -- but she did! Go Caro!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast