Favorite Costumes This Season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Favorite Costumes This Season

skateluvr

Record Breaker
tron is tacky but his simple LP costume for West Side Story is cool, casual and not filled with girlish details. I like when skaters wore more reserved outfits-esp men's singles. I just like Aaron's Elvis like masculine vibe. I hate Hanyu's LP look. Ugh-too feminine. He is flamboyant. I liked Dick Buttons look. If a skater is gay its fine, but am I alone in like men to look masculine? It seems Ice dance [irst went wild then other disciplines followed. When did things change?

I know North Americans are less flashy than other areas.

I too think Yuna's dresses lack good color. Her SP dress is forgettable and the LP dress is nice and style good for program. But for her, they should have gone with beige., cream pink and blue in muted designs for a pretty dress. But I wish she had gone for a true period type dress, poor looking, tattered to help her portray Cosette/Eponine/Fantine-the poor French. Sometimes Yuna loses expression while jumping and costume of a peasant helps us recall the time period she is creating in her dance on ice. I often don't get her costume choices.

Every MK outfit after 96 was just timeless. I wish all the single ladies had her taste. Caro's Oly LP, I recall someone/some board said she looked like an Ostrich. True-Caro is hit or miss. This years are not memorable like last years sparkly unitard. I like Mao's old LP dress and think the new one is ok, but it remind me of Baiul and also Bjork's swan dress from Oscar cast years ago. But she's so tiny, she can wear extra feathers without looking plumper. Tarred and feathered was cute, Serious B!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I find Aaron's Tron costume rather too literal, but at least he's trying to do his own thing.

I always love Akiko Suzuki's costumes and this year's peacock dress is amazing. Kiira Korpi is another lady with gorgeous costumes - it's not just that she wears them well, I like the use of different colors, and she would never wear anything tacky. Someone like her could have just worn boring princessy stuff to go with her classic beauty, but she doesn't go for that sort of thing at all. Love her LP dress and the SP one is good, too.

I adore Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte's SD costumes, they are so cute and fit the program well; I was also a fan of their FD costumes last season. Staying in ice dance, I like Tessa Virtue's FD dress - an edgier dress for an edgier Carmen.

tron is tacky but his simple LP costume for West Side Story is cool, casual and not filled with girlish details. I like when skaters wore more reserved outfits-esp men's singles. I just like Aaron's Elvis like masculine vibe. I hate Hanyu's LP look. Ugh-too feminine. He is flamboyant. I liked Dick Buttons look. If a skater is gay its fine, but am I alone in like men to look masculine? It seems Ice dance [irst went wild then other disciplines followed. When did things change?
Another masculinity/femininity tangent? :rolleye: This is really offensive, especially the part about it being okay for gay men to wear flashier costumes. So long as it is allowed by the rules, skaters should wear whatever they please regardless of whether they are gay, straight, bisexual, transgender or cisgender. men should not be obliged to conform to some rigid, traditional notion of masculinity (the same goes for women and standards of femininity). How is it possible that this is still a subject for discussion?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I find Aaron's Tron costume rather too literal, but at least he's trying to do his own thing.

I always love Akiko Suzuki's costumes and this year's peacock dress is amazing. Kiira Korpi is another lady with gorgeous costumes - it's not just that she wears them well, I like the use of different colors, and she would never wear anything tacky. Someone like her could have just worn boring princessy stuff to go with her classic beauty, but she doesn't go for that sort of thing at all. Love her LP dress and the SP one is good, too.

I adore Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte's SD costumes, they are so cute and fit the program well; I was also a fan of their FD costumes last season. Staying in ice dance, I like Tessa Virtue's FD dress - an edgier dress for an edgier Carmen.

Another masculinity/femininity tangent? :rolleye: This is really offensive, especially the part about it being okay for gay men to wear flashier costumes. So long as it is allowed by the rules, skaters should wear whatever they please regardless of whether they are gay, straight, bisexual, transgender or cisgender. men should not be obliged to conform to some rigid, traditional notion of masculinity (the same goes for women and standards of femininity). How is it possible that this is still a subject for discussion?

Because assumptions about gender die hard, and they don't die at the same pace in different places. It's one of the main reasons why you shouldn't assume that something is "natural"--look at another culture and they may have an entirely different set of what is "natural" for a particular gender.

noskates

Record Breaker
I do not like sequins and glittery stuff on men's costumes. And not for any masculine/feminine reason. I just think men look silly in glitz. Most of them don't carry it off well and I find it distracting. I also don't like the women's costumes where the panties ride up their butt (Carolina Kostner for example) Not attractive! Don't care for bodysuits either. It's nice when the costume has something relative to the music but it doesn't always come off well.

I don't think discussing someone's sexual preference has any place in a discussion about figure skating - or really anywhere else, for that matter. It's a personal thing and should have nothing to do with their skating/singing/acting/whatever talent. The stereotype that gay men can wear flashier costumes is disgusting to me. I want to say "really? REALLY?"

Some countries and federations seem to always have beautiful costumes for both the men and women that are relevant, etc. Some fall short. I think some of the worst costumes I've seen were on the Chinese pairs - with the exception of Shen and Zhao. Many of the Russian women are fashion-challenged as well. And, sorry if I offend anyone, but Miki Ando's "dresses" IMO were awful. Oh, and lets not forget Tanya Harding!

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Carolina Kostner's SP costume is nice from the waist up, but from there on down, the two bloody hand prints encroaching on her bikini area is an astoundingly awful look. It's a medical procedure gone wrong, but now with sparkles!

Max Aaron's LP outfit is as dead imagination-wise as every other part of his skating. It should come with loud speakers blaring, in a flat monotone, "I am skating to West Side Story". There's the kind of minimalism that's a refinement of complex ideas into an elegant form. Then there's the minimalism that's just laziness. Which is what Aaron's costumes go for in his SP and LP. And that also seems to be the philosophy in his skating.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
His ponytail doesn't have anything to do with anything. And his costumes are normally really good - his SP one last year was fantastic. This year his costumer seems to have taken leave of her senses.

Once again folks, a "ponytail" for a guy is called an attitude. I have to say I find his ponytail not helpful to creating a look or any artistic value.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Max Aaron's LP outfit is as dead imagination-wise as every other part of his skating. It should come with loud speakers blaring, in a flat monotone, "I am skating to West Side Story". There's the kind of minimalism that's a refinement of complex ideas into an elegant form. Then there's the minimalism that's just laziness. Which is what Aaron's costumes go for in his SP and LP. And that also seems to be the philosophy in his skating.

So, I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly.... you're a big Max Aaron fan... right?:laugh:

Eislauf

On the Ice
Once again folks, a "ponytail" for a guy is called an attitude. I have to say I find his ponytail not helpful to creating a look or any artistic value.

Agree. It might look cute on a young boy skater but on a grown man it looks a) very 'dated' and b) unsophisticated, even though Jason was skating to Prince. Much as I'm dazzled by Jason's skating, his ponytail and some of his costumes look a little goofy to me; they don't announce to the world "I'm going to be the National/World/Olympic champion".

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
OMG, LOVE this...and love the green. Who designs for her?

Kiira's costumes are designed by Teemu Muurimäki, Finnish designer. He has designed her costumes for many years, probably since... 08/09? Not sure about the years, but many seasons anyway. Always a pleasure!