Thread: Jenni Saarinen

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

Jenni Saarinen

Since Nicky Slater reckons that she is a star for the future, I thought I would get in early and start a fan thread for Jenni Saarinen!

OK, so the fact that I have a specific question I want to ask about her might have something to do with it too...

Ever since I saw Jenni’s name on the entry list for the 2013 Junior Worlds, I have been wondering something:

Does anybody know if Jenni is in any way related to the (still much-missed) Finnish motorbike racer Jarno Saarinen?

Jarno Saarinen was the 250cc World Champion in 1972, and is still the only Finn to win a tarmac motorcycle world championship. But he died the following year in a crash during the Italian Grand Prix at Monza.

As I wasn’t born until 12 years after his accident, I don’t know anything about Jarno’s family. So, I don’t know if he managed to have any children, or if he had any siblings, that Jenni might be descended from.

Now, I know from her ISU Bio that Jenni is originally from Espoo, while Jarno was from Turku. Although the 2 towns are 100 miles apart, that is not much in a country as large as Finland. So, it might be possible that they are related in some way.

On the other hand, in a country with as small a population as Finland’s, it is possible that Saarinen is a very common surname! So, it might be just coincidence.

I just don’t know enough about Finland to judge whether it is plausible.

So, can anybody shed any light on the matter?

Before I go, may I just congratulate Jenni on her results in Junior Worlds. She was the youngest girl in the competition, so to finish 14th overall out of such a big field was brilliant! Considering she is so young, her performances in both the Short (19th/45) and the Free (13th/24) were very impressive.

OK, so she is not yet in the same league as Elena Radionova or Annabelle Prölß, who were born in the same year but are already big stars. But the potential is there...

CaroLiza_fan

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    She does have a website altready

http://www.jennisaarinen.netai.net/j.../index.php/en/

It doesn't say anything about her family, but she won Jr Ladies at the Nordics this season.

Custom Title
    Very nice to see that Jenni has been noticed in the JWC! She is a very talented young girl indeed. Jenni trains together with Kiira Korpi at Tappara skating club. What comes to her last name, Saarinen is extremely common name here in Finland and therefore I doubt that she is related to Jarno Saarinen. If you just google with "Saarinen", you can see how common name it is. Finland has several promising junior skaters. In my opinion Jenni is the most promising one but there's also Liubov Efimenko (born 1999) from Lahti who is extremely talented, as well as Lyydia Määttänen (born 1998) who trains with Jenni and Kiira.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Sara, Welcome to Golden Skate! Post long and often.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Very nice to see that Jenni has been noticed in the JWC! She is a very talented young girl indeed. Jenni trains together with Kiira Korpi at Tappara skating club. What comes to her last name, Saarinen is extremely common name here in Finland and therefore I doubt that she is related to Jarno Saarinen. If you just google with "Saarinen", you can see how common name it is. Finland has several promising junior skaters. In my opinion Jenni is the most promising one but there's also Liubov Efimenko (born 1999) from Lahti who is extremely talented, as well as Lyydia Määttänen (born 1998) who trains with Jenni and Kiira.
    Welcome!

Custom Title
    Thank you! I will try to keep the forum updated on Finnish skating news. Such a pity Kiira cannot participate in Worlds :/

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    She does have a website altready

http://www.jennisaarinen.netai.net/j.../index.php/en/

It doesn't say anything about her family, but she won Jr Ladies at the Nordics this season.
    Wow! I just had a look at the website, and that is a very impressive record she has! Nicky mightn't have been too wrong when he said she could be the next Kiira Korpi!

Very nice to see that Jenni has been noticed in the JWC! She is a very talented young girl indeed. Jenni trains together with Kiira Korpi at Tappara skating club. What comes to her last name, Saarinen is extremely common name here in Finland and therefore I doubt that she is related to Jarno Saarinen. If you just google with "Saarinen", you can see how common name it is.
    Doh! I never actually thought of just searching for "Saarinen" in Google! Instead, I just went straight into Wikipedia and looked up Jarno, and then Jenni!

But, I did the Google search there now, and I see what you mean about it being a common surname. I also did the same search in Wikipedia, and found that the "Saarinen" page had links to 18 people's Wikipedia pages listed on it. It now has 19, because I just added a link to Jenni's Wikipedia page!!! :D

Motorbike racing has always been my first love, and it always will be. So, when I saw Jenni's surname in the entry list, the first thing that came into my head was Jarno. I knew it was a long shot, but curiosity just got the better of me!

Finland has several promising junior skaters. In my opinion Jenni is the most promising one but there's also Liubov Efimenko (born 1999) from Lahti who is extremely talented, as well as Lyydia Määttänen (born 1998) who trains with Jenni and Kiira.
    I just went onto YouTube and watched Liubov Efimenko's SP at the 2013 Nordics, as well as Lyydia Määttänen's FS at the 2012 Ice Star.

Put it like this: if these 3 girls are anything to go by, Finland has nothing to worry about when Kiira follows Laura Lepistö into retirement!!! (Not that I hope that happens any time soon - I am a big Kiira fan. She is the most beautiful, graceful skater there has been in recent years. But, all good things come to an end, and I feel that it will not be long until Kiira takes that step. Especially since she is not going to Worlds this year...)

All 3 of these girls do look very promising. But from what little of them I have seen, I would agree with your assessment that Jenni is the most promising.

But, it is good to see that the future of Finnish skating is looking bright.

CaroLiza_fan

Columnist
    She is skating this week at Oberstdorf, Ill let you know how she did

Rinkside
    Jenni won junior ladies in Nordics today. 149.78 points. I love her sp this year, flamenco style. She is going to junior worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    She is skating this week at Oberstdorf, Ill let you know how she did
    She won the Bavarian Open, scoring 136.14!