• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Compare the big tricks from the top 3

Yuna's 3Lz-3T
Mao's 3A and 3F-3Lo
Caro's 3T-3T and 3F-3T

Obviously Yuna can hit hers at least 80% of the time. That kind of consistency helps her a lot. She's most likely to be clean in the SP compare to the other two because her big trick is more dependable.
Mao's 3A, I would put about 30%. Her 3F-3Lo is probably more like 20% chance of being clean.
Caro's 3F-3T probably 40% chance of landing cleanly. 3T-3T are probably 60%.

However, if Mao and Carolina hit their SP as well, Yuna would be out of Gold. Yuna needs a big cushion after the SP to win. She can't afford to be just one or two points ahead of Caro and 1 or two points below Mao. In the LP, Yuna's consistency is about the same as the other two girls, always pop or step out or something. Mao and Caro can be a mess in the LP and still score 130. Yuna will need to make sure to build a big lead, then score about 128 or 129 or something to win.

I think it will go down like this
After the SP
1. Yuna
2. Caro
3. Mao

After the LP
1. Mao
2. Caro
3. Yuna

Combined
1. Caro
2. Mao
3. Yuna

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The LADIES judging panel: BUL DEN EST FIN GEO GER GBR JPN ROU RSA ESP SUI TUR

10 European, 1 South African, 1 Asian

That will tend to benefit Kostner and the Russian ladies.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I don't understand.
Has Carolina beaten Mao and Yuna during 09-10? where both of the girls were at their peak?
Get over yourselves. Caro cannot beat Mao and Yuna.
Like I said earlier, Caro is inconsistent. It's very possible for her to perform like she did in the 2010 Olympics

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I don't understand.
Has Carolina beaten Mao and Yuna during 09-10? where both of the girls were at their peak?
Get over yourselves. Caro cannot beat Mao and Yuna.
Like I said earlier, Caro is inconsistent. It's very possible for her to perform like she did in the 2010 Olympics

I don't understand what you don't understand.
Has Mao and Yuna beat Caro at her peak?
Get over yourselves. Caro's been beating Mao's *** for the past few seasons.

It's possible that Yuna will perform like she did at Skate America 2009, too.
It's possible that Mao will perform like she did at the beginning of this season, too.

mary01

Final Flight

It's possible that Mao will perform like she did at the beginning of this season, too.

Should I remind you of Worlds 2007,2008, 2009, 2010 where both Mao and Kim beat Kostner :laugh:

(i almost forgot that kostner mysteriously made got silver in 2008:sarcasm:)

MiRé

Match Penalty
Carolina is a better skater/competitor now than she was during 09-10.
But so is Mao and Yuna.......In fact, Mao has 3A and 3-3 planned in her program, and Yuna kept her 3-3 even with 2 years hiatus.......Not to mention skating a clean FS at nationals.

What I'm saying is, statistics are not helping Caro right now. Considering Yuna's consistency with having been on podium on every competition she attended, she's likely to podium higher than Caro. Also, Mao's intense program, with 10 BV higher than most of the top ladies right now, it's pretty safe to say her scores will be higher than Carolinas.
Of course, Mao can perform like she did at the beginning of this season, heck maybe last season, but her performance at 4cc shows she can do it, and if she lands her jumps, she's likely to surpass Caro. It's possible she may have < and <<'s but 70% rule will help her out.

Caro's records at worlds:
2006–07 2007–08 2008–09 2009–10 2010–11 2011–12
6th 2nd 12th 6th 3rd 1st
Average 5th place

Yuna's records at worlds:
2006–07 2007–08 2008–09 2009–10 2010–11
3rd 3rd 1st 2nd 2nd
Average 2.2th place

Mao's records at worlds:
2006–07 2007–08 2008–09 2009–10 2010–11 2011–12
2nd 1st 4th 1st 6th 6th
Average 3.3th place

Pretty sure Yuna and Mao would surpass Caro.

:thumbsup:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Should I remind you of Worlds 2007,2008, 2009, 2010 where both Mao and Kim beat Kostner :laugh:

Was Kostner at her peak in 2007 2008 2009 2010?
Should I remind you what I said?

mary01

Final Flight

if kostner peaked last season when she won worlds with a score of 128,94 then I have to say that even at her peak, Mao's scores this season at the GPF, JN, 4CC was all higher then kostner when she peaked

if you think that kostner has peaked this season, then even at her peak her sp, fs, and total score are still all below Mao's, the numbers don't lie :popcorn:

Krislite

Medalist
Carolina faces the pressure of defending a World title with much tougher competition. It remains to be seen if she can keep it together under such conditions. Last year, she had Worlds all to herself.

At least Mao and Yuna have shown stronger mettle in competition, though not very recently.

CarneAsada

Medalist

What peak do you speak of, then? Worlds 2012, when Mao went for 48 triple Axels in practice and failed every single one? Or the non-existent perfect free skate where Carolina landed a 3F-3T and 5 other triples?

Of course, Mao can perform like she did at the beginning of this season, heck maybe last season, but her performance at 4cc shows she can do it, and if she lands her jumps, she's likely to surpass Caro. It's possible she may have < and <<'s but 70% rule will help her out.
Mao gets lots of flak for underrotation but she has never had a stable landing on a jump worthy of a << mark.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Mao gets lots of flak for underrotation but she has never had a stable landing on a jump worthy of a << mark.

I was speaking hypothetically, saying 70% would help her out even if she gets < or <<. Not saying she "got" <<

yuki

Final Flight
I was speaking hypothetically, saying 70% would help her out even if she gets < or <<. Not saying she "got" <<

Wouldn't she get the base value of the double jump (and negative GOE), though, if she gets <<? How would the 70% rule help her in this case?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I think that there is just one thing to say: these three girls are all amazing, the one who will skate the best will win.
Mao has the pressure of earning a medal after two years of poor showings, Yu-Na has pressure because it will surely be her last WC and she wants to earn 3 spots for the Korean girls for Sochi and Caro has the pressure of being the reigning WC... Anything can happen!

MiRé

Match Penalty
Wouldn't she get the base value of the double jump (and negative GOE), though, if she gets <<? How would the 70% rule help her in this case?

I wasnt aware when i wrote it but thanks for pointing out.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
All three ladies Yuna, Mao and Carolina have great shots for gold. though both Mao and Carolina with their inconsistencies (Mao underrotations and jump problems; Carolina with her jump issues if they rear their ugly heads) are more vulnerable not to podium. But it will be interesting. i think what is more interesting is who will win three spots. Japan yes but will the USA or russia earn three spots - potentially thest two nations with their placements could destroy each other between their 5 skaters. without Korpi Osmond could be a spoiler or Suzuki and Murakami - their placements will heavily affect those two nations bid for 3.

cheerio2

On the Ice
I thought the downgrades Mao got at GPF were totally uncalled for. Did not look like anything past the 1/4 turn. I hate how the tech caller didn't give Mao the benefit of the doubt on those.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I know her issues but I think the momentum is on Mao's side so I'm going with her. I think she's a pressure skater too. I know she's fallen short in recent years but it's more to do with technical issues. But she has the ability to focus through pressure just like Yuna. I think it'll be hard for Yuna to come back to worlds after going so long without a major competition but I've always said that if any lady can do it it's Yuna.

aero

On the Ice
Seeing as how YuNa is the most dependable of the three "top" ladies, I'd expect her to, at least, make the podium. What position? I have no idea because it's all based on speculation at this point. Also, I remember reading somewhere that YuNa doesn't perform her 3Lo because of back problems. It doesn't seem wise, to me at least, for her to train a jump that is more likely to result in injury.

Mao definitely has the content, but if we look back at last season, Mao performed well at 4CC but was lackluster at Worlds. If anyone could explain that I would like to hear it.

Caro's chances of making the podium are good, but defending her world title is a different story. I don't believe that she's dealt with pressure throughout her career very well, despite being the great skater that she is. I really wish that we could have gotten training videos from all three ladies to base some of our judgements on.

And something that concerns me, is the number of entries that each country is trying to earn for the Olympics. From what I said before, it'd be interesting to see if YuNa could earn 3 spots for KOR, I believe Hae-Jin and SoYoun will be of age. (deep down, I'd like for Min-Jeong to stage a comback, it's a little farfetched since she seems to have lost most of her triple jumps from injury and growth) USA is really in a clutch situation here. We don't know how Ashley's faring, and we don't know how well Gracie will score even if she is clean.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Seeing as how YuNa is the most dependable of the three "top" ladies, I'd expect her to, at least, make the podium. What position? I have no idea because it's all based on speculation at this point. Also, I remember reading somewhere that YuNa doesn't perform her 3Lo because of back problems. It doesn't seem wise, to me at least, for her to train a jump that is more likely to result in injury.

Mao definitely has the content, but if we look back at last season, Mao performed well at 4CC but was lackluster at Worlds. If anyone could explain that I would like to hear it.

Caro's chances of making the podium are good, but defending her world title is a different story. I don't believe that she's dealt with pressure throughout her career very well, despite being the great skater that she is. I really wish that we could have gotten training videos from all three ladies to base some of our judgements on.

And something that concerns me, is the number of entries that each country is trying to earn for the Olympics. From what I said before, it'd be interesting to see if YuNa could earn 3 spots for KOR, I believe Hae-Jin and SoYoun will be of age. (deep down, I'd like for Min-Jeong to stage a comback, it's a little farfetched since she seems to have lost most of her triple jumps from injury and growth) USA is really in a clutch situation here. We don't know how Ashley's faring, and we don't know how well Gracie will score even if she is clean.

Mao has been far worse at Worlds than at 4CC the last 2 years but each time there were reasons behind it. In 2011 it was the earthquake that broke her focus, then in 2012 as far as I can tell it was from her mother's death affecting her mindset. She insisted on trying the 3A before it was ready and tired herself out practicing it (she went for it 40 something times in practice and didn't land it once).

Carolina seems far better at holding herself together these days; adding her old content back gradually seems to have been the right choice. We haven't seen anything like 2009 worlds or 2010 Olympics from her in ages.