Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kirk & Lease Discuss the Men with PJ Kwong

Banned

Kirk & Lease Discuss the Men with PJ Kwong

Meanwhile Canadian media goes for Worlds with next dirty PR work. Pretty much the same like in anti-Plu saga. This time Pj Kwong slandered Takahashi fans with shameless lie in front of the camera. She said it was Dai fans who booed Chan in Nice (what a coincidence that she is talking about it now, a year after the event, but right before the coming Worlds ). She also said that Hanyu fans told her that Dai fans booed Yuzu in JN, which is beyond bothering to comment. There was no booing in Sapporo, it was some silence due to disappointment of the results and that is all. But why this Zhurankov's bride should bother to speak the truth. She also went with blunt name calling like "rascals" about Dai fans. Nothing new here. As I said- deja vu of what we have seen already before Vancouver, just towards another skater and his fans. Shame on Canadian media and its staffer Pj Kwong .
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS3AtF8F8X0

Custom Title
    Unfortunately, PJ was right on ...except the JPN booing thing.

...Besides, I'm not a PJ fan but the "dirty PR work" is not a new product which has been invented by Canadians. When did we see less "dirty PR work" before and after 2010 Olympics from Americans? Wait till 2014 to see the same "dirty PR work" from the host country as well.

Custom Title
    In fact Canadian Media PR is too soft unlike some other countries.... I think its time they were down and dirty!!

This is why we have a rep of being nice people.

Well, I just listened to the podcast and I didn't get any kind of dirty tricks vibe at all. PJ didn't mention Takahashi fans specifically, she just criticized "those rascals" who boo'd young figure skaters at worlds and Japanese nationals and hurt their feelings.

As for being a Canadian uber -- hardly, in this interview. She says Chan has an uphill climb ahead of him. She (along with Jennifer and Dave) pick Fernandez to win, with Chan and Hanyu also on the podium. Reynolds she pegs as a top ten, but final six is a stretch. She sees Takahashi as being in a league of his own as an artist, but feels that his body can't keep going forever. Quite a fair assessment, IMHO.

Custom Title
    Dave looks like he is hypnotized or something. lol

Custom Title
    PJ didn't not say that Dai fans were rascals. She said whoever did the booing were. Those are two different things. They could have been anyone's uber, not just Dai's. She also didn't say which skater's fan told her about the "booing" at Japanese nationals either. I will agree that it was silence and not booing at Japanese nationals which imo was the more appropriate way to go about things. Protest through silence I think it would be somewhat effective b/c skating is a sport known for its' loud supportive cheers. Heck if the audience really wants the judges to know how they feel boo the judges and refs when they are introduced at other events. It's just easier to target the skater in these types of situations and it's unfortunate that the skater gets the brunt of the dissatisfaction by the audience b/c I doubt the judges are going to judge any differently if the audience makes the skaters feel like a bag of poo

It seems that she is kinda torn about that "clean" program question. She wants to say yes but then for me she provides reasons for why unclean programs win in the new system.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    she just criticized "those rascals" who boo'd young figure skaters at worlds and Japanese nationals and hurt their feelings.
    What does she expect too see or hear when most of the spectators in the arena saw a tremendous injustice going on (Chan winning the LP)? In life, sports or politics people try to find a way to show that they do not agree with injustice, they protest, they boo, they feel insulted by the pathetic judging. Crowd was not wrong in doing so, they were more than right. They shouldn't remain silent, otherwise, nobody would ever know their feelings and opinions by that time, everyone would think Patrick's victory (except fans in message boards) was perfectly fine. Sports events are not dictatorships where you can't express your opinion loud and clear after a performance.

I'm so sorry if poor little Patrick got his feelings hurt by the boos, but that's the only way crowd could express their dissatisfaction with those pathetic results. Anyway, in many interviews, PChiddy never cared about winning with all those falls and errors over better skates, never looked ashamed or embarrassed (like Asada in 2012 NHK), on the contrary, he felt confortable knowing that he could always win with many mistakes until this season.

Custom Title
    I know it when I see it. This ain't it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, I just listened to the podcast and I didn't get any kind of dirty tricks vibe at all. PJ didn't mention Takahashi fans specifically, she just criticized "those rascals" who boo'd young figure skaters at worlds and Japanese nationals and hurt their feelings.
    She didn't say it was Takahashi fans, but said that the same "rascals" booed at Worlds in Nice and at Japan Nationals in Supporo. She accused Japanese fans based on what she's heard from someone, whoever he or she might be, but not based on what she saw in person. And she calls herself a journalist.

Now, she has closed the subject herself.

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
    1. I don't lie 2.Booing is an English word to convey an idea 3.Subject is now closed for discussion. Tks for being in touch!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    What does she expect too see or hear when most of the spectators in the arena saw a tremendous injustice going on (Chan winning the LP)? In life, sports or politics people try to find a way to show that they do not agree with injustice, they protest, they boo, they feel insulted by the pathetic judging. Crowd was not wrong in doing so, they were more than right. They shouldn't remain silent, otherwise, nobody would ever know their feelings and opinions by that time, everyone would think Patrick's victory (except fans in message boards) was perfectly fine. Sports events are not dictatorships where you can't express your opinion loud and clear after a performance.

I'm so sorry if poor little Patrick got his feelings hurt by the boos, but that's the only way crowd could express their dissatisfaction with those pathetic results. Anyway, in many interviews, PChiddy never cared about winning with all those falls and errors over better skates, never looked ashamed or embarrassed (like Asada in 2012 NHK), on the contrary, he felt confortable knowing that he could always win with many mistakes until this season.
    The booing seems to have done some good though. Chan can't get away with falling 3 times and expect to win now. It was because of booing at the 1971 Worlds that made the ISU come up with the SP and devalue compulsory figures even more after Janet Lynn didn't even make it on the podium despite being the dominate free skater of her time. So raising hell does do some good at times.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    She didn't say it was Takahashi fans, but said that the same "rascals" booed at Worlds in Nice and at Japan Nationals in Supporo. She accused Japanese fans based on what she's heard from someone, whoever he or she might be, but not based on what she saw in person. And she calls herself a journalist.

Now, she has closed the subject herself.

Pj Kwong ‏@skatingpj
    1. I don't lie 2.Booing is an English word to convey an idea 3.Subject is now closed for discussion. Tks for being in touch!
    I do find it amusing that she writes "convey an idea" and "subject is now closed for discussion" back to back. If you're not willing to discuss the idea you convey (and this goes for everybody), don't bring it up.

Custom Title
    Well people sometimes the booing may appear just and other times it may be more of a lack of comprehension of the scoring and judging system. It MAY not be corrupt judign. If the emphasis is in artistry ie freeskate in 6.0 system then what happened in pairs in SLC is totally possible and not necessarily so scandalous as suggested. Likewise a fall or two could beat a fall free performance there are other technical elements and the pcs hav emore room I am confused who is Kirk and Lease????? I missed something for sure right? ON this board and any board we will never agree who should have won; we are all unique individuals (so true) with independent, original and unique opinions and the way of seeing things.

Custom Title
    I thought that "booing" actually entailed the sound "boo" being vocally expressed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The booing seems to have done some good though. Chan can't get away with falling 3 times and expect to win now.
    You wish! If you compared the BV and TES of his program in relation to the top skaters' programs this year and the last year, you'd know that your wishful thinking is just a wishful thinking.

Patrick took himself down by having only a dance instructor and listened to her to take it easy. That was what truly put him into the current underdog position. He is an "underdog" at this Worlds.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Kirk
    Jenny Kirk was the 2000 World Jr. Champion and was once a US Sr bronze medalist behind Kwan & Cohen.

Dave Lease is the blogger who did the off ice desk with Jenny at US Nationals, and has the blog Aunt Joyce's Ice Cream Stand.

The two have started a podcast together on youtube.

Yes, I would agree that "booing" needs some kind of vocalization or at least rude gesturing to be "booing" - I would accept whistles, catcalls, Bronx cheers, and rude comments as booing as well as the actual word "boo". Perhaps even rude comments in ASL (which would not be vocalized) or a crowd rising and executing a double replica of the NYC bird (one with each hand). Polite silence is not booing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast