• Shibutani/Shibutani (USA)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who do you predict will win gold in the Ice Dance discipline?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who isn't sure that V/M will win? I actually think that D/W have a better chance, their FD has been a lor stronger than V/M's this season so far (sadly, because I LOVE Tessa and Scott's Carmen) and I don't know if the home inflation will be enough, it looks like the judges don't really appreciate it as much as we do...

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Am I the only one who isn't sure that V/M will win? I actually think that D/W have a better chance, their FD has been a lor stronger than V/M's this season so far (sadly, because I LOVE Tessa and Scott's Carmen) and I don't know if the home inflation will be enough, it looks like the judges don't really appreciate it as much as we do...

Yeah, I think D/W will take it by a small margin. They've skated better overall this year. Tessa and Scott will lose it in the SD.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Someone voted for W/P!! :eek: I think that they would actually be lucky if they make the top6!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

I think the overt sexuality of Carmen makes the judges uneasy. But there are two other, contradictory, factors to keep in mind:

1. The tech controller for the event is slated to be Candian Marie Bowness, who was also the tech caller for the previous Worlds, an event where Marlie's total score for the event plummeted 10 points from the GPF of that year. How uhm curious...
2. Voir have yet to win a world free dance program that ISN'T softly romantic (Cherbourg, Mahler, FF). They might have won the FD in 2011 if Tessa hadn't had leg problems, but that program's sexuality was still more sensual than the more overtly-sexual Carmen.

Just thought I'd throw those points out there for discussion...

vera01

Final Flight
I would like V/M to win, but even as a V/M fan, I won't really mind if D/W wins this year's Worlds. Canada won't have any problem getting 3 spots for next Olympics, and it would hopefully motivate V/M to skate better next season:):):)

vera01

Final Flight
I think the overt sexuality of Carmen makes the judges uneasy. But there are two other, contradictory, factors to keep in mind:

1. The tech controller for the event is slated to be Candian Marie Bowness, who was also the tech caller for the previous Worlds, an event where Marlie's total score for the event plummeted 10 points from the GPF of that year. How uhm curious...
2. Voir have yet to win a world free dance program that ISN'T softly romantic (Cherbourg, Mahler, FF). They might have won the FD in 2011 if Tessa hadn't had leg problems, but that program's sexuality was still more sensual than the more overtly-sexual Carmen.

Just thought I'd throw those points out there for discussion...

But D/W has never won Worlds with a romantic program, did they?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I would like V/M to win, but even as a V/M fan, I won't really mind if D/W wins this year's Worlds. Canada won't have any problem getting 3 spots for next Olympics, and it would hopefully motivate V/M to skate better next season:):):)

For the record, I TOTALLY agree with this. I find the Carmen program really interesting, but I'm not sure the mix of modern/traditional ballroom works in that particular instance (it's downright odd to see Tessa go from crotch grabbing to in-hold pattern dancing with matching leg-lifts, etc.). I think if Marlie wins this year, it will motivate BOTH teams to really go for the gusto next year--and that would be wonderful. They would go into the Olympic year each having won 2 World titles. How's that for building suspense? LOL!

Hmm, well the tango did have its romantic moments...so how about a qualified "Yes" to your question... (yes I can split hairs with the best of 'em!).

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker

True, but between the GPF and 4CC, their score dropped 9 points (where we saw Judy Blumberg on the panel). Between 4CC and Worlds, D/W's levels (the aspect that Candian [sic] Marie Bowness is responsible for) increased in the FD and stayed the same in the short dance.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If you're going to do conspiracy theories, some understanding of how cheating (or to be kinder, home cooked scoring) would be done is necessary. It is a case of watch the donut, not the hole. The tech rulings that would be cooked would be those of the person or team to be favored (in your example, that would not be Meryl & Charlie).

Why is that? It's because the team not favored can only challenge their own score, not those of their competitors, under the rules.

So if, theoretically, you wanted to favor Team A over Team B, the way you'd do it is to label every skill of Team B level 3 or lower, so there would be a video review (in which case it is more likely that something wrong would be discovered, even if it were not visible live), to make sure their score was as low as is possibly defensible, and you would give Team A all level 4's, unless they made some huge and visible to everyone problem.

So what you'd be looking for to show a conspiracy theory is levels too high for Team A.

Then you would misdirect people to say, see the rulings for Team B were tough, but fair (and you would ignore talking about the small stumbles that Team A made, which were ignored, and which Team B is not allowed to challenge.)

The same level of possible misdirection was done when the CDs were drawn for different events. One lot of 2 or 3 is drawn from a sack. The person drawing the lot shows it around and says, "This was a fair drawing. The lot says Tango Romantica." However, no one dumped out the bag to demonstrate that all the lots were (or were not) marked Tango Romantica.

If you're going to be a conspiracy theorist, you need to learn to think like a conspirator ;)

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Aha! Well I do stand by my second point. People do like to put people in boxes. But thank you for the explanation.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Also, people forget there are 3 people on a tech committee. At last year's Worlds, it was Hurth, a French lady, Bowness, a Canadian lady, and Dostatni, who is kind of a man without a country.

Any good conspiracy theory should consider the role of all 3.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It was so much easier back in the day... you just blamed the cheating Communist/Capitalist bloc (depending of course on where you lived)!

[Note to self: Be wary if Doris offers to be "banker" if we ever play Monopoly...she's too smart for my own good!]

;)

Big Deal

Final Flight
If both team will skate their heart out without mistakes, V/M will win. I don't really understand that why their programme is not that much appreciated by the judges.

Macassar88

Medalist
Morozov will cheat on Elena and sleep with all the female (and some of the male) judges and Ilinykh and Katsalapov will win!