Anna Pogorilaya | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Anna Pogorilaya

Country
Russia
Unfortunately Sotnikova seenms unbeatable at Russian Nationals
Adelina was No1 Olympic Hope beginning from RusNats 2009.
If she skated good, she was unbeatable at RusNats afier that. But at RusNats-2010 she was 4th (mistaken), and at RusNats-2013 she was 3rd (fall in FS, and excellent skating of Liza - Olympic Hope No2, who became champion).
At RusNats-2012 many fans believe that really Lipnitskaia was better, but champion was Sotnikova.
At RusNats-2014 I (and not only me) believe that best was Radionova with absolutely clean skating. But politics - before olympics places 1 and 2 were granted to Olympic Team.

and Anna has twice had her worst performance of the last two years at Russian Nationals. I wish her good luck at Nationals next year!
Hmmm...
At this and previous seasons RusNats are very strong competition in female skating. Only Worlds are stronger. Euro (where, except Russians, only Kosther was of very high level) and 4CC (at most ignored by best skaters) are weaker.

Anna's 5th place at RusNats-2013 is good enough, and adequate to her level (lower than in this season). This 5th place means not less than 3rd place of JrWorlds.

At RusNats-2014 were two reasons of Anna's 8th place:
1. Minor injury just before RusNats and mistakes because of it.
2. Politics. RusFed had Adelina and Julia for two Olympic spots and did not want third pretender. Anna because of this was underscored, her real place, I believe, was 5th or 6th.
The same politics why not-age-eligible Radionova was lowered to 3rd place.
I believe RusFed was right - Julia and Adelina were best choice for Olympics. We've seen excellent Julia's skating at Commands and Adelina's at Individuals (Adelina deserves medal, what medal - may be different views, but medal no doubt).

Just afier Olympics situation changed. Anna from "non-needed third" became one of skaters for new olympic cycle, needed for RusFed.
Judging at Final of Russian Cup was good for her (I mean no underscoring, she skated well), and she was sent to Worlds.

And once more - happy birthday to Anna!

arcticwolf

Rinkside
Ohhh I just love this girl. She definitely didn't look 15 when she skated in the worlds. She looks and moves so maturely on the ice, she's like a little Carolina.
Lip is good but I prefer Anna's skating because it doesn't look juniorish to me. I would love to see those Russian girls battle it out next season.

Alba

Record Breaker
At RusNats-2014 were two reasons of Anna's 8th place:
2. Politics. RusFed had Adelina and Julia for two Olympic spots and did not want third pretender. Anna because of this was underscored, her real place, I believe, was 5th or 6th.

I don't think Politics has something to do with her being finished in 8th place.
Russia only had 2 spots, so if politics were involved it would've been enough for the judges to place her at 3rd or 4rth place.

The same politics why not-age-eligible Radionova was lowered to 3rd place

Honestly, as good as Radionova is I would never put here in front of a clean Adelina and Yulia. She is fun to watch and very strong technically, but if some people criticise Yulia becase she looks so young (junior as they say), I cannot imagine what are they going to say about Radionova. A baby skaters perhaps? Marks my words.;)

Anna P. is gorgeous though, and if she can keep up technically and work on her presentation she will be a tough competitor.

Country
Russia
I don't think Politics has something to do with her being finished in 8th place.
Russia only had 2 spots, so if politics were involved it would've been enough for the judges to place her at 3rd or 4rth place.
3rd and 4th were not-age-eligible for Senior championships Radionova and Proklova, they both skated well and deserved to be in top-four.
5th was Leonova - she earned spot to Euro.
Anna was made lower than Leonova - to give Leonova that spot. Anna was ahead Adelina at GP China and very close to Adelina at GP France and GP Final. So was a chance that Anna will be ahead Adelina at Euro, RusFed did not want it. Chance that Leonova will be ahead Adelina was much lower.
And also Anna was made lower than two more not-age-eligible girls. "For warranty".

Some words about selection to main competitions in Russia.

They keep in mind
1. Grand Prix.
2. Nationals.
3. Euro.

Now Russia has three spots to Euro in all four disciplines.
So at most top-three of RusNats have spots to Euro.
For Olympics are treated all three results.
If skater is better than other at GP and Nats and Euro - no questions. If not - situation is not clear (and RusFed solves as they want, if skater sent by RusFed has bad results, RusFed may have problems - Ministry of Sports may tell "you are mistaken in your choice, you must change leading persons" - so was after Olympics-2010). If they sent skater(s) who was(were) best at GP and Nats and Euro - no such kind of rproblem, they sent the best.

For Worlds may be also used results of Russian Cup Final. For example, at season 2012/2013 Gosviani was 3rd of age-eligible at Nats and had Euro. But at Euro she was not so good (mistakes) and in Final of Russian Cup compteted Leonova (4th of age eligible) and Gosviani. Leonova was first at Final of Russian Cup and earned Worlds spot.

Honestly, as good as Radionova is I would never put here in front of a clean Adelina and Yulia.
Clean - yes. Clean Adelina is better than any other Russian Lady.
But both Julia and Adelina were not clean, both had URs, and were other URs "not seen" by technical brigade. Radionova cried seeing how brigade "does not see" their mistakes to make Julia and Adelina ahead her.

Country
Russia
Anna P. is gorgeous though, and if she can keep up technically and work on her presentation she will be a tough competitor.
Anna had serious injury 2 or 3 January, and because of this she did not compete for two months, first after injury she competed 1 and 2 March at Final of Russian Cup.
But she practiced, and her skating at Worlds is no doubt better than at Grand Prix. Time was used to progress.

Alba

Record Breaker
3rd and 4th were not-age-eligible for Senior championships Radionova and Proklova, they both skated well and deserved to be in top-four.
5th was Leonova - she earned spot to Euro.
Anna was made lower than Leonova - to give Leonova that spot. Anna was ahead Adelina at GP China and very close to Adelina at GP France and GP Final. So was a chance that Anna will be ahead Adelina at Euro, RusFed did not want it. Chance that Leonova will be ahead Adelina was much lower.
And also Anna was made lower than two more not-age-eligible girls. "For warranty".

Some words about selection to main competitions in Russia.

They keep in mind
1. Grand Prix.
2. Nationals.
3. Euro.

Now Russia has three spots to Euro in all four disciplines.
So at most top-three of RusNats have spots to Euro.
For Olympics are treated all three results.
If skater is better than other at GP and Nats and Euro - no questions. If not - situation is not clear (and RusFed solves as they want, if skater sent by RusFed has bad results, RusFed may have problems - Ministry of Sports may tell "you are mistaken in your choice, you must change leading persons" - so was after Olympics-2010). If they sent skater(s) who was(were) best at GP and Nats and Euro - no such kind of rproblem, they sent the best.

(s(For Worlds may be also used results of Russian Cup Final. For example, at season 2012/2013 Gosviani was 3rd of age-eligible at Nats and had Euro. But at Euro she was not so good (mistakes) and in Final of Russian Cup compteted Leonova (4th of age eligible) and Gosviani. Leonova was first at Final of Russian Cup and earned Worlds spot.

It's very interesting. I was not thinking about Euros though, I was just thinking about Sochi and not counting Leonova at all.:scratch:

Clean - yes. Clean Adelina is better than any other Russian Lady.
But both Julia and Adelina were not clean, both had URs, and were other URs "not seen" by technical brigade. Radionova cried seeing how brigade "does not see" their mistakes to make Julia and Adelina ahead her

Didn't see the Rus. National, but as I said as much as I like Radionova I would not put her in front of Adelina and Yulia, if they skate clean. Even if they had one UR's, I would both put them in front in PCS. unless they were so poor.

Country
Russia
The same show, final scene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Df6mvMngaw

Konstantin MENSHOV
Elena RADIONOVA
Ivan RIGHINI
Sergei VORONOV
Sergei Yakimenko (acrobat)
Fiona Zaldua / Dmitry Sukhanov
Naomi LANG / Peter TCHERNYSHEV
Anna POGORILAYA
Ksenia STOLBOVA / Fedor KLIMOV
Irina SLUTSKAYA
Tatiana VOLOSOZHAR / Maxim TRANKOV

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Anna mentioned in an interview that her short program for next season will be likely Adagio of Albinoni because everyone liked that exhibition number. She said that it's not decided whether to use the same piece since the lyrics are allowed next year or use another version without lyrics. I guess she wants to try with lyrics.

I used google translate to understand this part, but if anyone who knows Russian can translate the full interview, it will be appreciated :)

http://rsport.ru/interview/20140516/746401568.html

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Anna mentioned in an interview that her short program for next season will be likely Adagio of Albinoni because everyone liked that exhibition number. She said that it's not decided whether to use the same piece since the lyrics are allowed next year or use another version without lyrics. I guess she wants to try with lyrics.

I used google translate to understand this part, but if anyone who knows Russian can translate the full interview, it will be appreciated :)

http://rsport.ru/interview/20140516/746401568.html
I'm really happy to read this, since it is really a good program! :yes: For me, it would be better without the lyrics, though

ManLady

On the Ice
Beautiful mature Anna with a new Gala: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbpClj8c-XA&feature=player_embedded

it obvious who she is emoting though :laugh:
but it is no secret Anna's idol is Carolina Kostner and her coach mentioned Carolina as teh epitome of women's figure skating

It seems all the russian ladies love carolina. yulia singled her out as her fav lady skater, and in an interview just this week adelina responded very negatively to the idea of carolina retiring.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
It seems all the russian ladies love carolina. yulia singled her out as her fav lady skater, and in an interview just this week adelina responded very negatively to the idea of carolina retiring.

of course. Carolina is most beloved non Russian skater ;)
she is what most would cite as example of their ideal skater