Thread: Piers Morgan interviews Torvil & Dean, ITV 8/3/13 9pm

Hybrid View

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar

Piers Morgan interviews Torvil & Dean, ITV 8/3/13 9pm

For those who can get ITV, Scottish TV or Ulster TV, Piers Morgan will be interviewing Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean tomorrow night:

Friday 8th March 2013
    ITV/STV/UTV 21:00 – 22:00 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

Just in case you miss some of it, it will also be available an hour later on the equivalent timeshift channel

Friday 8th March 2013
    ITV+1/STV+1/UTV+1 22:00 – 23:00 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

It will also be repeated on ITV next Tuesday:

Tuesday 12th March 2013
    ITV 23:35 – 00:35 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories
    ITV+1 00:35 – 01:35 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

…on Scottish TV next Wednesday:

Wednesday 13th March 2013
    STV 23:05 – 00:05 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories
    STV+1 00:05 – 01:05 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

…and on Ulster TV next Thursday:

Thursday 14th March 2013
    UTV 00:00 – 01:00 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories
    UTV+1 01:00 – 02:00 GMT Piers Morgan’s Life Stories

Don’t ask why the repeats are all on at different times! It’s probably something to do with STV and UTV showing local programmes that the rest of the ITV network doesn’t bother with.

I am not sure if the catch-up services on the channel websites are available outside the UK. But just in case they are, here are the addresses:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/
    http://player.stv.tv/
    http://www.u.tv/utvplayer/

I have never liked Piers Morgan, so I haven’t watched many episodes of “Life Stories”. But, from the few that I have seen, he is as tough an interviewer as he ever was! So don’t expect him to go easy on them just because they are national treasures!

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    I hope that whoever watches will give the rest of us a recap. I'm jealous of the entire United Kingdom!

Just wanted to remind everybody that "Life Stories" will be starting in a few minutes on ITV, Scottish TV and Ulster TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I hope that whoever watches will give the rest of us a recap. I'm jealous of the entire United Kingdom!
    I will be recording it tonight, and watching it over the weekend (probably tomorrow).

Hopefully somebody who knows how to upload programmes recorded from the TV will put the video on YouTube. So, I'll keep an eye out and let you know.

Failing that, I know that there are websites out there that you can download subtitles for programmes from. So, if the video doesn't appear, hopefully the subtitles will, and I can copy them into a comment on here as a transcript of the interview.

CaroLiza_fan

Wahey!!! Some people have uploaded the whole interview to YouTube already!!!

Here are the links to the best quality version:

Part 1 (10m44s)
    Part 2 (11m15s)
    Part 3 (11m20s)
    Part 4 (8m42s)

Meanwhile, somebody else has gone to the bother of recording the whole interview on their phone. It’s a bit shaky, but considering how long each part of the programme is, they did a really good job! This user is obviously a fan of Jayne and Chris, as they also have a lot of other videos of them.

Also, I didn’t realise it but Jayne and Chris were also on “This Morning” yesterday talking about the Piers Morgan interview. Somebody recorded it on their phone, and it can be viewed here.

I’ll still keep an eye out for a transcript of the interview.

Enjoy

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Thanks, CLFan! They look wonderful. I love how they finish each other's sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Thanks, CLFan! They look wonderful. I love how they finish each other's sentences.
    They did look great, didn't they! I bet most of today's skaters are hoping that when they reach their 50's, they will look as fresh as Jayne and Chris do now!

And, it is great to see that after all these years the chemistry is still there.

Here is my report on the programme. I have deliberately written it in such a way as to not give too much away to anybody who wants an idea of what it is about, but at the same time wants watch the programme without knowing exactly what Jayne and Chris said.

I watched the Torvill and Dean episode of “Life Stories” over the weekend, and I have to say it was not exactly what I was expecting.

The programme has changed a lot since I last watched it. For all his faults, Piers Morgan is very good at his job as a serious journalist and a very tough interviewer. “Life Stories” used to be like that, but it isn’t any more. That interview could easily have been on a light entertainment programme like “This Morning” instead.

Also, the programme was far too short. When “Life Stories” first started, there was the normal hour-long programme, but there was also an extended hour-and-a-half-long version. Torvill and Dean could easily have filled a longer programme. Like, they are famous for being successful skaters, but the programme barely scraped the surface of their skating career.

But, although it was short, it was very interesting nevertheless. I wasn’t born when they won the Olympics in 1984. So, although I knew it was a big thing, I didn’t realise it was quite THAT big! I really cannot imagine the whole country getting behind any of our modern-day athletes like that, or giving them such a massive celebration if they came home as champions.

I loved the insight into Chris’ childhood. That must have been terrible for him, and you couldn’t help but really feel for him. As Jayne said later on, it really did help explain his reaction to things that happened later in his life.

It was also very interesting when they were talking about Chris’ marriages, and his current relationship with Karen. But when they were talking about how Chris got together with Isabelle Duchesnay, I noticed that they made a point of not mentioning the name of the Swiss skater he was seeing around that time. I take it that she’s got her own family and all now and didn’t want to be brought into the spotlight again. But, it didn’t stop my brain going into overdrive trying to figure it out!!! (It’s maybe a good job I only really know skaters from the past decade!)

Although I found all the stuff about Chris interesting, I think they could have talked a bit more about Jayne. Like, the only thing about her that the interview focussed in on was her not being able to have children.

Not having children was undoubtedly a big aspect of Jayne’s life, which was very upsetting for her (and which made us viewers upset as well). But focussing in on only this made it look like this was the only aspect of her life that Jayne was willing to talk about. Whereas Chris had opened up about his childhood and his relationships, it looked as if Jayne was reluctant to open up about anything else.

Of course, this was probably just a case of the producers trying to fit as much juicy stuff into a 44 minute programme as possible, be it by editing down what had originally been filmed, or by carefully choosing which questions to ask before filming started. But, to the average viewer, it would have looked unbalanced.

And what is the obsession with “did they/didn’t they”?! Does it really matter?! Sure, to be in a competitive partnership (be it in Pairs or Dance), there has to be a certain amount of chemistry. Otherwise, there will be tension between the partners, which will inevitably spill out onto the rink at some stage. Although there are many reasons why so many partnerships split up, just plain not getting along has to be one of the main ones.

Elena Ilynikh and Nikita Katsalapov are the only current skating partners that I know are involved with each other. And, yes, it shows on the ice. Many commentators complain about skating partners not being convincing at putting across the impression of a couple in love. But with Elena and Nikita, there is never that problem. The chemistry between them is amazing, and you can see in the way they look at each other that they are deeply in love.

But, am I desperate to know if anybody else is involved with their skating partner? No. Frankly, it is nobody’s business but the skaters themselves! (And, possibly, their coach). Of course, if they have an argument or break up, that can have repercussions on the ice – in the worse case scenario it could spell the end of a potentially promising skating partnership. But, otherwise, we can all happily go along in total ignorance of whether anything is going on or not, without it affecting anybody!

One thing that did get to me a bit was the fact that practically the entire programme after the final set of ads was about “Dancing On Ice”. For those that live outside the UK and didn’t realise, “Life Stories” and “Dancing On Ice” are shown by the same channel (ITV). And Torvill and Dean’s episode of “Life Stories” just happened to be broadcast on the day before the final of “Dancing On Ice”!

That Torvill and Dean’s episode of “Life Stories” was broadcast on Friday had nothing to do with the World Figure Skating Championships being on held this week. It was a shameless attempt by ITV to promote the final of “Dancing On Ice”. And the final 9 minutes of the programme made that blindingly obvious.

Sure, “Dancing On Ice” played a big role in Jayne and Chris’ recent history. It got them back together after a decade apart; it got them back in the public eye; it led to the break-up of Chris’ 2nd marriage; and it led to the start of Chris’ relationship with Karen.

But, bearing in mind that Jayne and Chris started skating together 38 years ago, and “Dancing On Ice” has only been going for 8 of those years, I think devoting a whole section of the programme to it was a bit over the top.

As I have never watched “Dancing On Ice”, I am probably totally ignorant about its importance to the Torvill and Dean story. But, personally, I would have thought that talking about their highly-successful competitive skating career would have been more important than talking about a TV programme that they are involved in.

Overall, though, it was a really enjoyable and insightful programme. But, another half hour (or, even better, 3/4 of an hour ) would have made all the difference.

So, that is my take on the programme. I hope you have enjoyed reading my report on it.

CaroLiza_fan