Part 4

Studio

PM In 1994, ten years after you’d won gold at the Olympics, you decided to compete in the Olympics again.
CD Mmmm
PM You were professional skaters, so technically it shouldn’t have been allowed, but you’d heard of a rule change in 1992, which made them eligible if you dropped your professional status. Why did you do this? Why risk the unassailable reputation that you had, to go back into the Olympic arena?
CD Because of skating. Because of the challenge. It was sort of a measure for us, of “Were we still vital and competitive and could we do it?”

Video

PM Torvill and Dean made an Olympic comeback, but it didn’t go according to plan. The return from the professional circuit back into amateur competition resulted in just a bronze medal, amidst a sea of controversy.
Barry Davies I have no doubt that they should have won the gold. But I believe there was a feeling in some parts of the sport that didn’t want them to win because you shouldn’t be allowed to be jetted back into the middle of it and win.
Sue Barker It was hard to see this couple that… [Pause] …had so dominated the sport look as though they were feeling let down by it.
PM After more professional tours, they decided to split up, stop skating and go their separate ways.
Debbie Roberts There were only 3 or 4 of us that knew that that was going to be the last performance.
PM Chris moved to Colorado with his second wife, Jill.
Jo Lunn He did just up and go; left friends, family, erm, and Jayne. That was a big void for Chris.
Debbie Roberts They did call each other, and they called each other a lot – at least a couple of times a day. I don’t know whether… [Pause] …er, you would sat that Chris was depressed during that time. I think he was very lonely. He needs something to aim at. He needs that drive and that competition.
PM And that competition was to present itself in an unlikely way.
Katie Rawcliffe (Executive Producer, “Dancing On Ice”) We approached Jayne and Chris with the idea of “Dancing On Ice”, and I think they were quite sceptical, because it was a huge thing to undertake.
PM The first series of “Dancing On Ice” hit our screens in 2006, and Jayne and Chris were re-united for the first time in nearly a decade.
Matt Evers (Friend) I can’t even imagine the pressure they must have felt with it being their comeback and with having to do new routines.
Phillip Schofield Oh my Goodness. They’re back! Are they going to be as good as they were? Have they still got it?
Katie Rawcliffe Expectation was really, really high, so the pressure was quite immense.
Phillip Schofield [On show with Holly Willoughby beside him] Stepping back onto the ice it’s… [Pause] Torvill and Dean!
Kelly Holmes To actually take that risk and have the guts to go, almost put your credibility at risk, I think it took a lot.
PM The fears were unfounded. The opening show was watched by millions.
Katie Rawcliffe The morning after the first show when we got the viewing figures in, and they were over 11 million, it was amazing.
Matt Evers It thrust ice skating into mainstream here in the UK.
Karen Barber Millions of people were going skating. Ice rinks were built on the back of the success of “Dancing On Ice”.
PM And the ice legends are still giving the young guns on the show a run for their money, Jayne in particular.
Phillip Schofield She’s gorgeous, and she has an amazing body. And for a woman of 84 [not a typing error – he really did say that!], that’s extraordinary.
PM However, for Chris, the pressure of being away from his family for most of the year took its toll, and he and Jill split up.
Matt Evers It was hard to project this figurehead to the nation, and then behind closed doors was very sad and very lonely.
Debbie Roberts I think I would defy any woman not to fall just a tiny bit in love with Chris, when he’s in his, in his “little boy lost” mode.
PM With his marriage on the rocks, Chris turned to his friend and confidante, “Dancing On Ice” judge Karen Barber.
[Shows clip of Karen sitting at the judge’s table beside Robin Cousins]
Karen Barber [Talking to a contestant (doesn’t show who, unfortunately) on “Dancing On Ice”] For me, you’re one of the top runners. You’re going to go all the way.
[Shows clip of judges giving scores to Beth Tweddle and Daniel Whiston on “Dancing On Ice” Series 8, Episode 1 (6th January 2013):
Robin Cousins – 6.5
Karen Barber – 6.5
Ashley Roberts – 6.5
Jason Gardiner – 3.5]
Karen Barber Jayne and I decided that one of us would stay. Chris was going through a hard time, one of us would stay, and we would alternate. Jayne having the children, I, I said, “Well, I only live locally, I can stay, because, obviously, he needs company.” We found ourselves in a, in a similar situation. Chris’ marriage had, had broken down and my marriage was… was not going well.
PM In March 2010, the story broke.
Daniel Whiston Honestly, I think it would have been absolutely awful to wake up in the morning and see your private life splashed all over the paper.
Karen Barber It was awkward, but it brought up that conversation that kinda pushed us into the direction of, “Well, that’s ridiculous… [Pause] … Is it ridiculous…?”
Phillip Schofield There’s something about… [Pause] …the ice… [Pause] …whether it’s the fumes from the fake tan, or whether, you know, it’s the amount of sequins. Whatever it is, there’s something about it that makes a human being rampant.
Daniel Whiston All I know now is that they’re very happy together. And I’m really happy that they are.
Karen Barber There’s so much that we have in common. And we think of it not as a relationship, but as a really long conversation, and I hope to be talking to him for years to come.

Studio

PM Does the ice make you rampant, Chris?
[Laughter, led by JT]
[CD has a cheeky smile on his face]
CD Phillip’s been doing it for the last, er, 8 years as well
PM Yeah. We all know how rampant he is, Rampant Schofield!
[JT laughs at same time]
PM Erm, your second wife, another skater. You had 2 children, with Jill. When you realised this marriage was… [Pause] …ending as well, what did you feel about yourself?
CD Oh, I was, it was horrible. Nobody wants to go through it. It, it’s difficult, but it does happen. The wonderful thing is that I do have a good relationship with Jill, a really good relationship, and the boys, erm, do not suffer. I live just round the corner, erm, so, erm, that’s all good.
PM You’ve known Karen 40 years; what on Earth were you waiting for?!
[Laughter, led by JT]
[CD has a cheeky smile on his face]
PM Wouldn’t it have been a lot easier if you’d just got together?
CD It’s…
PM 18 year olds.
CD Timing’s everything.
[Shows Karen in the audience]
CD I’m a different person from what I was 40 years ago. Now I’m a very mature, sensible, level-headed…
[Laughter, led by PM]
[JT shakes her head]
CD …got it right [inaudible]…
PM Rampant ice skater
CD …rampant ice skater, apparently.
[Laughter, led by JT]
PM [To Karen Barber] Do you know about the back of the bus…
JT Dabble
PM …dabble?
[Laughter]
CD [Inaudible] …that might have been a…
PM Karen, did you know about the dabble?
Karen Barber No… [inaudible]
[Laughter, led by Karen Barber and JT]
Karen Barber It’s OK
PM The dabble has been greeted with an “OK”
[Some Laughter]
CD Yeah, I think dabbling is OK, by the way.
[Laughter, led by PM]
PM Do you feel, Jayne, that he, he’s with the right person now?
JT Yes
PM And that’s not to denigrate either of his ex-wives, but just to…
JT No, no. I think he’s happier now than he’s been for a long time.
PM When you got the call, er, asking to do “Dancing On Ice”, you’d broken up professionally for a while, and this was a big moment…
CD No, we’d broken up.
PM Go on.
CD We’d finished. Er, Jayne was, em, going to have children, and I’d moved to America, yeah. That was, that was…
PM And you really both felt that is it?
CD [at same time] [Inaudible] …change
CD That was it, yeah.
PM How did you feel about that, when you… [Inaudible]?
CD I mean, at the time, it all seemed, “This is what we’re doing.” But I think, after a short space of time, it was… [CD opens mouth wide, gasps, leans head back, then returns to position] … it was like you rushed towards this wall… [Puts hands up] …and crashed, and it’s like “Wow. Gosh. I didn’t know it was going to be like this!”
PM And the moment you were, you were back on a rink together – on national television, 11-12 million viewers, huge, huge hit – must have felt like, “We’re back!”
JT I was very nervous, but when you actually go out and hear the audience, I thought “Oh, yeah, this, this is OK.” Cos that’s what we were used to.
CD And we always have this moment just before we go, we hold hands…
[CD brings right hand over and takes hold of JT’s left hand, and squeezes it]
CD …and we squeeze and we look at each other and go…
[CD brings both their hands down, JT and CD look at each other, and they both nod once. They then separate hands, and bring them back into position]
[Awwws, turning to applause]
PM How long can you carry on skating, realistically, at a reasonably good level, do you think?
JT I don’t know. I think as long as we’re enjoying it and as long as we feel fit enough to do it.
CD I don’t think we’re ever gonna have a moment again where we say, “This is the last one”
JT [at same time] I couldn’t cope with that again. It’s too hard.
CD [at same time] We wouldn’t do that again
PM I don’t think anybody wants you to.
CD No. [Repositions himself on chair]
[A few groans, turning to applause]
PM It’s been a real pleasure. Two great sporting heroes of this country, and it’s been a delight to get to know you both better. Thank you very much.
JT Thank you.
CD Thank you. [Reaches out and shakes PM’s hand]
[JT gets up and shakes PM’s hand, while at same time giving him a peck on the cheek]
[Applause and cheering]
[Roll Credits]