Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No "tantrums" for Davis and White

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    What does Plushenko have to do with it?
    I guess the writer was comparing Plushenko’s outburst (tantrum) after losing gold at the 2010 OWG to the measured response (no tantrum) always given by Davis & White especially when they lose (2009 Worlds, 2012 Worlds). The headline was intended to grab attention although a bit misleading as Mathman suggests. Don’t know Ms. Sarkar, but I don’t see why Reuters wouldn’t print the article. Apparently Ms. Sarkar was at Worlds in Nice and related what others there felt was a wrong decision. USFS had nothing to do with specifically commissioning the article. It routinely offers teleconferences to accredited media with its leading competitors prior to major skating events. So does Skate Canada. I doubt that IMG (Davis & White's) agent had anything to do with the headline or the article.

On the Ice
    There are many things people can choose to believe about D&W but being stupid isn't among them. Nobody can believe that this is something they intended.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    That's a pretty splashy headline for such a mild little article.
    I know, right? From the headline I expected the article to say something like, Charlie missed a twizzle in practice and Meryl stopped on the ice and slapped him silly.

Quote Originally Posted by KKonas View Post
    I guess the writer was comparing Plushenko’s outburst (tantrum) after losing gold at the 2010 OWG...
    I would hardly call Pkushenko's comments a tantrum. He basically said, "I annihilated the fool (Lysacek), but the judges didn't give it to me. Oh well, that's skating."

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    On thinking about it, I think we are missing the headline writer's pun. He is using "on ice" to mean not doing something. Of course, to me "put on ice" means to do something out on the ice....

Custom Title
    Plushenko had a right to complain and he won the argument now with quads in sp and 2 quad longs from most of the top skaters. Not the horrible awful all triple nonsense of lysacek and his worthless now almost junior skate that won the 2010 Olympics. Now juniors do Lysaceks program easily and the scoring system had to be radically altered so you don't have junior men's skates winning the Olympics like Lysaceks did in 2010. So that does not exist with dw and vm because both of them are going for max difficulty and can respect each other while Lysaceks skate deserved no respect and no win.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    On thinking about it, I think we are missing the headline writer's pun. He is using "on ice" to mean not doing something. Of course, to me "put on ice" means to do something out on the ice....
    ?! Yes, that's it! The author of the piece must be shaking her head at those literal ice skating fans (like me) who were envisioning skaters stomping and cursing in the middle of their routines when things didn't go well.

...and a bag of chips
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

I didn't miss it. I still think it's stupid. Figure skating is a serious sport. Focusing on wuzrobbing and tantrums only perpetuates the sterotype that it's nothing but sequins and drama.

Rinkside

What a waste of space!

How ridiculous! I was mad at myself for even reading the article after I got a taste of it. Then I saw this comment and am currently laughing out loud in the coffee shop (thanks Mathman!). I too was hoping for an actual tantrum... Here's to hoping they're both perfect. I can't wait to see Carmen at its best. I'll probably have it on repeat on Youtube until next season!!

[QUOTE=Mathman;718871]I know, right? From the headline I expected the article to say something like, Charlie missed a twizzle in practice and Meryl stopped on the ice and slapped him silly.

On the Ice
    Davis and White really don't strike me as the kind of people who do 'tantrums', even when they're disappointed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Plushenko had a right to complain and he won the argument now with quads in sp and 2 quad longs from most of the top skaters. Not the horrible awful all triple nonsense of lysacek and his worthless now almost junior skate that won the 2010 Olympics. Now juniors do Lysaceks program easily and the scoring system had to be radically altered so you don't have junior men's skates winning the Olympics like Lysaceks did in 2010. So that does not exist with dw and vm because both of them are going for max difficulty and can respect each other while Lysaceks skate deserved no respect and no win.
    Besides his jumps all Plushenko did in his program in Vancouver was mug his way through his skate. He had no transitions or footwork and his spins were average. He deserved to lose with that kind of program. He showed a total lack of even trying to do a balanced program.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    ^^^ Agree

Today's quad-centric programs also include better spins, footwork, transitions...

I haven't watched Plushenko's program in a while, but I seem to recall that many jumps weren't even executed in a way that I would mark with positive GOE.

No question, his content was more difficult. But it wasn't performed especially well, and it wasn't presented to the degree that some of his earlier work was.

It was a good program, but not exceptional.

Custom Title
    Okay just to be a pot stirrer lol I hope one of the Russian teams develops quickly and wins in Sochi among their home fans Go I and K Then who cares about D and W or V and M. But seriously both are really amazing teams; I think they should share the gold in Sochi.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    ^^^ Agree

Today's quad-centric programs also include better spins, footwork, transitions...

I haven't watched Plushenko's program in a while, but I seem to recall that many jumps weren't even executed in a way that I would mark with positive GOE.

No question, his content was more difficult. But it wasn't performed especially well, and it wasn't presented to the degree that some of his earlier work was.

It was a good program, but not exceptional.

I agree. Plushenko's jump content was more difficult, but the program was front loaded. Evan's jump content wasn't as high as Plushenko's, but he made up for the points every where else. It wasn't my favorite program of either skater, but Evan did a better job at ringing every point out of his program.

Since then, I believe the points have been adjusted to make quads more worthwhile, but it's still ice SKATING, not jumping IMHO. If Plushenko comes back, I'd like to see a program that's better choreographed, instead of just relying on jumps.

Medalist
    before I disliked meryl and charlie..... This article makes me hate them

I hope Tessa and Scott beat them so badly!

Custom Title
    before I disliked meryl and charlie..... This article makes me hate them

I hope Tessa and Scott beat them so badly!
    And what in that article makes you feel that way?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast