Kirk & Lease w/PJKwong on Ladies | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Kirk & Lease w/PJKwong on Ladies

rkuang

Rinkside
Why are you going back to bringing up the technical difficulty? Again, no objection with that assessment. But Kirk said "there's nothing special/memoreable about her skating" (this is not interpretation, that's what she said), and Lease adds "she lacks that killer instinct". THAT is what I disagree with so much.
And why would anyone just want to misinterpretate what they say into something worse than it is? It's two people I don't have any clue about who they are to begin with and PJ, who I usually just don't pay attention to that much. I just think they're saying some pretty weird stuff.

I don't really get what this has to do with anything... I certainly don't want to diss Ashley, and it's not about comparing Ashley to Akiko at all. PJ&Co. are definitly putting Ashley above Akiko though, they're even putting her in the same league as Yuna, Mao and Caro. And that's just not right, like it or not. (I'm not saying it's impossible Ash will be on the podium. If Mao and/or Caro make mistakes and she skates well, she can beat them. But it's about overall skating quality - and in that regard Ash is not up to the standard of the other three).

I am simply pointing out reasons why they said what they said, but you disagree with them and that is fine. as to the second part, I think a lot of criticisms towards Suzuki reminds me of criticisms towards Ashley. Sort that underdog, middle-of-the-road type comments, and it is perpetuated by not being able to see that they are fine skaters, though perhaps not gold contenders. There was literally a thread here that compared these two skaters specifically, and I see a lot of that sentiment being carried over. I don't think it's that far-fetched.

KKonas

Medalist
FWIW - In a recent teleconference Wagner said she planned a 3/3 in the SP and 2 axel 3/ toe in the Free Program "but it is always up to Nicks as to what we will do."

suzukifan27

Match Penalty
FWIW - In a recent teleconference Wagner said she planned a 3/3 in the SP and 2 axel 3/ toe in the Free Program "but it is always up to Nicks as to what we will do."

There is no way she can land 3+3 or 2+3 at worlds without doing them for years. She had some 'success' in the past 2 seasons by downgrading the technical content to be 'consistent'. However, this is not a sound strategy. I predict she will have a rude awakening at words.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner has that American champion look and they are dangerous. She isn't "special" yet technically or artistically. But can we see Miki Ando? Can we say Kimmie Meissner? There will always be those people especially on this site who will disagree or agree and sometimes very loudly. But skaters aren't particularly special can still win worlds. Kimmie had the 3A sort of but her other technical elements and artistry were good but not great and certainly not special. So Suzuki and Wagner could have a chance if thne trio (Carolina, yuna and mao falter) more likely a better chance for a medal but again requires some faltering.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yuna's LP wonderful but SP is not good. She skated her SP poorly at nationals. The LP was with more fire and speed. Yuna is still not nearlt Vancouver Yuna. I think Mao and Caro have superior LP's. Caro is unique. Her PCS should go through the roof if she skates like at her nationals. And Mao-well-she may blow some jumps but her LP is pefect princess choreography plus the mentioned high base value. I would rather see CARO OR MAO OR AKIKO OR ASHLEY. SORRY caps stuck again. I like their programs the best this season.

Yuna will get rep marks and it will have to be bad for her not to podium. Her LP is quite good. I just prefer other skaters and programs this year. As far as big jumpers go, Grace Gold were she consistent would blow all these ladies out. But she isn't and she will get no held up marks. Akiko should contend for gold. Her skating is magical and fast and joyous. She is very special and does not get her due.

Osmond should be mentioned as she could skate great in Canada and get some home turf points. She is a star already. But the Russians will figure in one spot, though I don't thik any deserve all the hype they get/ Liza poor ice coverage- but skates with expression. Leonova-never know- Adelina is so juniorish despite her flexibility. But I never do afree with the placements. In junior worlds, Samantha Cesario was so elegant, so complete-she came in fourth. I think it strange how Juniors with the 3x3s place high but srs don't have to do a lutz to win worlds. That said, Caro/Mao have stunning LPs and I hope they go 1-2. I can see why PJ loves Caro's programs and skating. May they all skate well.

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko is one of my favourite artiste in the history of the sport.

Her nuances and musical interpretation make her standout.

She brings us in her journey of emotions. She draws you in. She is unafraid to show her imperfections because they make her a better skater and person. I have to agree that seeing Akiko Suzuki live is MAGIC! Ala MK magic!

This girl is a fighter and has fought so many setbacks in her home country to be where she is right now.

She is every ounce of a champion.

She has kept on improving through the years is continuously getting better.

Her charisma is incredible. I've seen her live and when she is on, she will sell a program like no other. Go Akiko!!!!!!

noidont

Final Flight
My first time watching the skating lessons, and their expressions (especially dave's) are so pricelessly funny in this discussions. I don't really get why they can't just write down their opinion in one paragraph instead of blabbing on forever like that.
Funny they think Caro is the favorite. Dave has always been a Yuna-uber. He seemed afraid of saying that in front of the ladies who are Caro-ubers. I have a feeling they are Caro ubers for her feminine maturity, not necessarily for her skill level or program. Whoever thinks Wagner can make podium is just disillusioned.

delray1977

Rinkside
noidont, I guess I must be disillusioned because you never know what might happen. I have a feeling all of the top skaters will not skate clean. Then again I may be wrong but you never know

bsfan

On the Ice
This whole "prediction" is just a setup for political play. I bet there is a big plan behind to promote an american skater and it happens to be Wagner who is the best they can have now. If Wagner doesn't get to the podium but Yuna does, there will be 'robbed' cries. Yuna is not with any n. american coach and doesn't have strong federation to back her. So she is the one to be picked.

Everybody works(in this case 'speaks') for whoever pays her/him.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
This whole "prediction" is just a setup for political play. I bet there is a big plan behind to promote an american skater and it happens to be Wagner who is the best they can have now. If Wagner doesn't get to the podium but Yuna does, there will be 'robbed' cries. Yuna is not with any n. american coach and doesn't have strong federation to back her. So she is the one to be picked.

Everybody works(in this case 'speaks') for whoever pays her/him.

If Yuna is sloppy, no 3x3, falls, etc... and Wagner is perfect, and if Wagner doesn't get on the podium and Yuna does, then yes, there will be "robbed" cries. What do you mean?

bsfan

On the Ice
If Yuna is sloppy, no 3x3, falls, etc... and Wagner is perfect, and if Wagner doesn't get on the podium and Yuna does, then yes, there will be "robbed" cries. What do you mean?

I mean what I've said.

You can switch 'Yuna' with any other name, and 'Wagner' with any other name. The thing is if one has watch FS for a while, it's more likely other's name will be your 'Yuna' s place. Same for the other.

It's one thing if people say 'if {} skates well, then...'. But it's a total different thing to predict someone will be /not be on podium, esp. on TV.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I get the hesitation with Yuna, because she hasn't competed against high-level competition in 2 years. But it's YUNA, at worst she will have one fall. That will still put her ahead of everyone unless Caro and/or Mao make NO mistakes.

mary01

Final Flight
I get the hesitation with Yuna, because she hasn't competed against high-level competition in 2 years. But it's YUNA, at worst she will have one fall. That will still put her ahead of everyone unless Caro and/or Mao make NO mistakes.

That's exaggerating a lot, with Mao's layout and BV she would have room for a few mistakes, but I doubt yuna or Carolina have. remember Kim still lacks her 2a-3t and her spins may or may not have reached level 4 by now, and Carolina's layout is still pretty conservative.

lavender

Record Breaker
You nailed it! :yes: Right now Yuna, Mao and Carolina together have four world championships. One more and they will catch up to Michelle! So us Kwan fans are rooting for someone else -- anyone else -- to win. ;)

:laugh: At first I thought you were serious.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Agreed, Wagner isn't really a contender with that group of three at the top. I disagree with Jenny that Adelina cannot beat Ashley; I actually expect Adelina to place ahead of Wagner. I sense from interviews that Ashley is feeling the pressure to bring back three spots, and she didn't respond well to the pressure of defending her national title.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was a totally strange discussion. I can understand one of them predicting that Carolina would win just for the sake of the argument, but all three agreeing to that is just weird. It was like they didn't want to say who they really believed was going to win. I bet they are jealous of either Yuna or Mao winning because that would add to these skaters' legendary fodder, and maybe they can't stand to have anyone becoming a legend above Michelle Kwan. Oh so provincially North American, are they not?
:

Yes, that's it! If Mao wins her third WC, she'll be above Michelle in the record books! Oh wait, she won't be. And we Kwan fans don't care if Yu Na wins this WC--it would only be her second. But if she wins a second Olympic gold--GRRR! Sochi is when the knives will really come out!

hurrah

Medalist
Yes, that's it! If Mao wins her third WC, she'll be above Michelle in the record books! Oh wait, she won't be. And we Kwan fans don't care if Yu Na wins this WC--it would only be her second. But if she wins a second Olympic gold--GRRR! Sochi is when the knives will really come out!

Oh, come on. There was a North American bias to what they were saying, and reacting to what I wrote by bringing up Michelle Kwan's very impressive 5 time Worlds medal also says something, doesn't it?

I just got a little upset, that's all. The general tone of the interview was so 'political', so unlike the other podcasts I've seen, which is more down to earth and showing the skating world to be what it really is. PJ Wong I thought was particularly defensive, over-eager to get her point across and talking over Jenny and David.

I mean, did they really have to say the stuff they said about Akiko? And saying that the bronze is Ashley's to lose (over Yuna of all people)?? Really??

BTW, my own reaction to the interview tells me I'm over my Yuna-hate. I realized alot of my feeling against her was really about the scoring system, and she added fuel to that by making allegations about practice obstruction that riled me up. But she's since gone publicly and set the record straight, and since the scoring system is far more reasonable now, I can just sit back and enjoy her skating. I'm kind of relieved about that.