Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54

Thread: Kirk & Lease w/PJKwong on Ladies

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by bsfan View Post
    This whole "prediction" is just a setup for political play. I bet there is a big plan behind to promote an american skater and it happens to be Wagner who is the best they can have now. If Wagner doesn't get to the podium but Yuna does, there will be 'robbed' cries. Yuna is not with any n. american coach and doesn't have strong federation to back her. So she is the one to be picked.

    Everybody works(in this case 'speaks') for whoever pays her/him.
    If Yuna is sloppy, no 3x3, falls, etc... and Wagner is perfect, and if Wagner doesn't get on the podium and Yuna does, then yes, there will be "robbed" cries. What do you mean?

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    If Yuna is sloppy, no 3x3, falls, etc... and Wagner is perfect, and if Wagner doesn't get on the podium and Yuna does, then yes, there will be "robbed" cries. What do you mean?
    I mean what I've said.

    You can switch 'Yuna' with any other name, and 'Wagner' with any other name. The thing is if one has watch FS for a while, it's more likely other's name will be your 'Yuna' s place. Same for the other.

    It's one thing if people say 'if {} skates well, then...'. But it's a total different thing to predict someone will be /not be on podium, esp. on TV.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,524
    I get the hesitation with Yuna, because she hasn't competed against high-level competition in 2 years. But it's YUNA, at worst she will have one fall. That will still put her ahead of everyone unless Caro and/or Mao make NO mistakes.

  4. #34
    Custom Title mary01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I get the hesitation with Yuna, because she hasn't competed against high-level competition in 2 years. But it's YUNA, at worst she will have one fall. That will still put her ahead of everyone unless Caro and/or Mao make NO mistakes.
    That's exaggerating a lot, with Mao's layout and BV she would have room for a few mistakes, but I doubt yuna or Carolina have. remember Kim still lacks her 2a-3t and her spins may or may not have reached level 4 by now, and Carolina's layout is still pretty conservative.

  5. #35
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    You nailed it! Right now Yuna, Mao and Carolina together have four world championships. One more and they will catch up to Michelle! So us Kwan fans are rooting for someone else -- anyone else -- to win.
    At first I thought you were serious.

  6. #36
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    ....Whoever thinks Wagner can make podium is just disillusioned.
    Agree, Wagner would be lucky to be in top 8

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,524
    Agreed, Wagner isn't really a contender with that group of three at the top. I disagree with Jenny that Adelina cannot beat Ashley; I actually expect Adelina to place ahead of Wagner. I sense from interviews that Ashley is feeling the pressure to bring back three spots, and she didn't respond well to the pressure of defending her national title.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    It was a totally strange discussion. I can understand one of them predicting that Carolina would win just for the sake of the argument, but all three agreeing to that is just weird. It was like they didn't want to say who they really believed was going to win. I bet they are jealous of either Yuna or Mao winning because that would add to these skaters' legendary fodder, and maybe they can't stand to have anyone becoming a legend above Michelle Kwan. Oh so provincially North American, are they not?
    :
    Yes, that's it! If Mao wins her third WC, she'll be above Michelle in the record books! Oh wait, she won't be. And we Kwan fans don't care if Yu Na wins this WC--it would only be her second. But if she wins a second Olympic gold--GRRR! Sochi is when the knives will really come out!

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    Whoever thinks Wagner can make podium is just disillusioned.
    This so makes me want Ashley to make the podium. Call me disillusioned. Or is it delusional?

  10. #40
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Yes, that's it! If Mao wins her third WC, she'll be above Michelle in the record books! Oh wait, she won't be. And we Kwan fans don't care if Yu Na wins this WC--it would only be her second. But if she wins a second Olympic gold--GRRR! Sochi is when the knives will really come out!
    Oh, come on. There was a North American bias to what they were saying, and reacting to what I wrote by bringing up Michelle Kwan's very impressive 5 time Worlds medal also says something, doesn't it?

    I just got a little upset, that's all. The general tone of the interview was so 'political', so unlike the other podcasts I've seen, which is more down to earth and showing the skating world to be what it really is. PJ Wong I thought was particularly defensive, over-eager to get her point across and talking over Jenny and David.

    I mean, did they really have to say the stuff they said about Akiko? And saying that the bronze is Ashley's to lose (over Yuna of all people)?? Really??

    BTW, my own reaction to the interview tells me I'm over my Yuna-hate. I realized alot of my feeling against her was really about the scoring system, and she added fuel to that by making allegations about practice obstruction that riled me up. But she's since gone publicly and set the record straight, and since the scoring system is far more reasonable now, I can just sit back and enjoy her skating. I'm kind of relieved about that.

  11. #41
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,007
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Agreed, Wagner isn't really a contender with that group of three at the top. I disagree with Jenny that Adelina cannot beat Ashley; I actually expect Adelina to place ahead of Wagner. I sense from interviews that Ashley is feeling the pressure to bring back three spots, and she didn't respond well to the pressure of defending her national title.
    I don't think it was pressure that did her in, honestly, at Nationals. It really sounds like she just ran out of energy. The mistakes she was making in the FS were not nerve mistakes but rather just being exhausted.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,441
    Wagner was SICK at Nationals (flu). She went to the practices, but did very little skating to conserve energy. Her problems in the FS were not because of pressure, but rather to lack of stamina because she was so ill. She didn't go to 4CC because it was too soon after Nationals, and Ashley needed time to rest and recover.

  13. #43
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,007
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Wagner was SICK at Nationals (flu). She went to the practices, but did very little skating to conserve energy. Her problems in the FS were not because of pressure, but rather to lack of stamina because she was so ill. She didn't go to 4CC because it was too soon after Nationals, and Ashley needed time to rest and recover.
    She had the flu? Thought it was just the effects of food poisoning?

  14. #44
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    42
    For the record, it seems Ms. Wagner has landed in London and she seems to be healthy. So this will be the test of whether it was her injuries or the pressure that caused to make mistakes. There's really no way of knowing until we see her perform again.

  15. #45
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Oh, come on. There was a North American bias to what they were saying, and reacting to what I wrote by bringing up Michelle Kwan's very impressive 5 time Worlds medal also says something, doesn't it?

    I just got a little upset, that's all. The general tone of the interview was so 'political', so unlike the other podcasts I've seen, which is more down to earth and showing the skating world to be what it really is. PJ Wong I thought was particularly defensive, over-eager to get her point across and talking over Jenny and David.

    I mean, did they really have to say the stuff they said about Akiko? And saying that the bronze is Ashley's to lose (over Yuna of all people)?? Really??

    BTW, my own reaction to the interview tells me I'm over my Yuna-hate. I realized alot of my feeling against her was really about the scoring system, and she added fuel to that by making allegations about practice obstruction that riled me up. But she's since gone publicly and set the record straight, and since the scoring system is far more reasonable now, I can just sit back and enjoy her skating. I'm kind of relieved about that.
    I don't know about Jenny, but Dave (Aunt Joyce) has never shown an American bias (there is no North American bias--the US and Canada are rivals). If anything, he is harsher on American girls he hates, like Rachael Flatt and, until recently, Ashley Wagner. He loves Yu Na, generally, but was somewhat critical of her in this video, mainly because she hasn't competed that much and not because of her skating. But his favorite this year isn't an American; it's an Italian!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •