Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flowers and ice a perilous combination

Flowers and ice a perilous combination

Jim Anderson knows a lot about figure skating. And he knows a lot about flowers. But he also knows the two don’t always mix.

More

Custom Title
    I never have understood why throwing flowers or other objects on the ice has been allowed. It is a hazard. When did this practice start? You look at vids from the past and don't see this. People attending these events should be told they will not be allowed to enter the arena with them. If they bring them, they will be confiscated and given to a hospital or other charitable organization.

Custom Title
    I'm not sure when the tradition of fans throwing flowers onto the ice first started, but it was certainly well-established by 1979 as attested by the ending of the movie Ice Castles.

As long as the flowers are wrapped, I don't see it as a problem. I like the tradition of throwing gifts to the skaters - it shows them that the audience really appreciated their performance. Unless, the skater is blind like the girl in Ice Castles, I don't really think it is dangerous. Just make sure the ice is cleared off thoroughly before each skater, and that's that.

Custom Title
    The applause tells the skater that his performance is appreciated and that's that lol. And what about the feelings of the skaters who have nothing thrown on the ice for them? There are some bad manners involved here. Send your bouquets and toys directly to the skater, so others don't feel under appreciated.

Custom Title
    But won't the skaters who get less applause feel under appreciated? Should applause then be monitored too?

Ah Ice Castles. Such a wonderful guilty pleasure of a movie...

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch17 View Post
    Unless, the skater is blind like the girl in Ice Castles, I don't really think it is dangerous.
    Well we can be sure that will never be the case, LOL.

Tripping on the Podium
    It's fun for the skater to get something thrown on the ice. For comps discouraging it, they leave the hockey netting up. I haven't seen flowers thrown, just plushies.

Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    But won't the skaters who get less applause feel under appreciated? Should applause then be monitored too?

Custom Title
    I really don't see a connection between throwing things on the ice and the skaters feeling appreciated. That's like comparing apples and oranges. The little strawberries that Smuckers was handing out at the 2012 Nationals caused more delays than anything. Flowers are wrapped but not always successfully and half the time the skaters dont' know what to do with them. All the stuffed animals and what-not are just bothersome. What is a skater going to do with a couple hundred beanie babies, etc.

IMO, a standing ovation that goes on and on really tells the skater what their performance did to the audience. I think throwing stuff on the ice should be banned. When you have to sit for 10 minutes while little munchkins go all around the rink picking up stuff, hoping nothing gets missed to mess up the next skater - it beccomes sort of ridiculous.

I think skaters know when they've laid down a good skate. They get reaction from their coaches as well.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    The best Olympic Games ever was Innsbrook, 1976.

When Dorothy Hamill won the ladies title the flowers came down to the ice like rain. Back in those days, the skaters simply stood at the boards and waited for the judges' marks. She had an armload of flowers, and the little girls kept bringing more. I think there were three people with their arms full of flowers by the time she received her marks.

I still watch the video on youtube every now and then.

I remember the commentators telling the viewers that the flowers were sent to a local hospital, but in a competition shortly thereafter, some skaters stopped their routine because of flower debris left on the ice, and the tribute of choice changed to stuffed animals, which I think still go to local hospitals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterscotch17 View Post
    As long as the flowers are wrapped, I don't see it as a problem. I like the tradition of throwing gifts to the skaters - it shows them that the audience really appreciated their performance. Unless, the skater is blind like the girl in Ice Castles, I don't really think it is dangerous. Just make sure the ice is cleared off thoroughly before each skater, and that's that.
    I think I saw this movie and the girl goes blind and then hooks up with a hockey player and well "toe pick". Hmm I wonder if there are any teams like that now competing?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Well we can be sure that will never be the case, LOL.
    Right because Tonya Harding's "friends" will make sure that never happens!

Custom Title
    Awwww SkaterBoy - wrong movie!!!! The hockey player and the "toe pick" chick were not Ice Castles!

Although she DOES go blind in Ice Castles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast