Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flowers and ice a perilous combination

Custom Title
    So let's look at this flower and object throwing from a different perspective. You're in the last group on the ice in a final event. You've been backstage mentally preparing yourself for your skate. You hear the music end from the skater before you and you walk to the waiting area to go out on the ice. BUT.....it takes 5-10 minutes of standing there watching little girls and boys pick stuff up off the ice. Mind check!!!! Too much time to stand anticipating your performance. Finally you get on the ice but you see a few things still on the ice that the kiddles missed. Hmmmm - what else did they miss? Are you going to catch an edge on a flower petal or something that fell off a stuffed animal? Or a ribbon? By now the calmness you had achieved backstage is gone......................

I still think throwing things on the ice should be outlawed.

On the Ice
    Perhaps instead of flowers and stuffed toys on the ice, skaters can gently encourage their fans to show their appreciation by donating to the skaters' favorite charities instead? "In lieu of", that sort of thing. Though I think many fans will still insist on giving bouquets and plushies. I think applauding and cheering is still the best way to show they loved a skater's performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post

I think I saw this movie and the girl goes blind and then hooks up with a hockey player and well "toe pick". Hmm I wonder if there are any teams like that now competing?
    You're mixing movies.

Ice Castles was about a young girl from a small town who came to attention at Nationals. Her boyfriend (portrayed by Robby Benson) was a local boy who was hoping to make it big in the NHL. He didn't, but her agent got her a lot of publicity as the golden girl of the next Nationals. She started to be attracted to another guy and live the glitzy life. One night at an event, she felt lonely and went out on to the ice at Rockefeller Center and started skating. She went to do a triple jump and landed it, but there was a cable on the ice which caused her to fall and slide into a bunch of tables and chairs. She was legally blind and sent home. Her father, family friend and exboyfriend got her back and skates and back to Nationals where she skated triumphantly until she tripped on the flowers thrown out on the ice. The End.

Movie was remade recently starring Taylor Firth.

Cutting Edge stars Moira Kelly was a pairs skater who loses her partner and is teamed with a washed up hockey player. They go on to win Nationals and compete at the Olympics where they perform an amazing throw twist and declare their love as they take their final pose. 'Toe Pick' is from this movie.

I think they tried to limit what can be thrown out on the ice to items that don't have things attached to them - i.e. the strawberries. However, my guess is the people had to buy them at the venue and cried foul over not being able to bring what they want - perhaps something that had meaning to the person or skater.

I believe most of the skaters donate the stuffed animals to local hospitals - perhaps keeping a special one (i.e. the 1st one received, maybe from the 1st National competition where the skater medalled, won gold, etc.)

I do agree that there's risk to the subsequent skaters as that little rhinestone can easily be overlooked and cause a skater to fall or stumble. However, that little object could just as easily fall off of another skater's costume. I recall watching events where the subsequent skater just skates around and will stop and pick things off of the ice or even seen a skater re-start their program after they show a judge an object on the ice.

Custom Title
    Even at the practice session in London today, Yuna had to stop her Free program practice to remove something from the ice.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    ‏@AliChahbar
    I'm w/ my wife & daughter @ #FSworlds13. Daughter not understanding logic of throwing her stuffed toy on the ice. #reallydaddy? #LDNOnt
    3:03 PM - 14 Mar 13

The tweet is from a local politician in London, but I guess that even he could not give a satisfactory explanation.

Spending too much time at the arena CdnSkateWatcher's Avatar
    Patrick Chan, JJeremy Ten - a few others have commented on the stuffed animal throwing (and the panties too that apparently get thrown at Chan?). Hospitals etc can't take them as they're not "new and unwrapped" and they end up with bags full that they don't know what to do with. I think Ten said he had "closets" full of toys. Not sure the rationale between throwing stuffed animals at grown men? What are they supposed to do with them?

Can't remember the rules on this forum re: linking to outside articles. But, here's the article discussing it. Quotes from Elizabeth Manley etc:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports/...service=mobile

Custom Title
    I don't think we have seen a lot of flowers and toys during these Championships. It seems like the trend to throw stuff on the ice is slowly fading away in North America and Europe.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    I don't think we have seen a lot of flowers and toys during these Championships. It seems like the trend to throw stuff on the ice is slowly fading away in North America and Europe.
    With the price of admission (not to mention the cost of getting there, staying there, eating there, etc), who can afford to?

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    I think the tradition started quite a few years ago. I remember when I skated, people used to throw flowers and teddy bears on the ice. Sometimes, I have heard announcements made at the beginning of the competition to ask people not to throw any objects on the ice, but the practice seems to have made a come back. They always used to have little girls come out after the skaters and scoop up any objects left on the ice.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    What would be nice is this:

Have some appropriate toss-able trinket available for sale in the arena at a reasonable cost, but have the proceeds go to a worthy charity, like the Olympic Champion Norwegian speed skater's cause (Sports without Boundaries... or something like that). While we're at it, have the trinket itself be something that skaters can donate without burdensome restrictions like dry-cleaning.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    OK, I did a little research on my charity idea, which I just KNOW will be adopted at all major skating events!

Johan Olav Koss is a four-time Olympic speed skating champion from Norway, in addition to having won several trophy-cases of World titles, World Cup titles, European medals, and Norwegian championships. He is considered one of the all-time greats in his sport.

Upon retiring, he founded Right to Play, which uses sport and play as a tool for the development of children and youth in the most disadvantaged areas of the world. I recall that several Winter Olympic Champions, including Joey Cheek of USA, donated their bonuses to Koss' charity.

Supporting this cause beats Liz Manley having a garage-full of 30 year old teddy bears.

Plan B: Ask the fans to start throwing canned goods to the ice for the food banks.

Custom Title
    I never have seen as many skaters pick stuff up off the ice as I did at the Worlds in London.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2