Flowers and ice a perilous combination | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Flowers and ice a perilous combination

ice coverage

Record Breaker
‏@AliChahbar
I'm w/ my wife & daughter @ #FSworlds13. Daughter not understanding logic of throwing her stuffed toy on the ice. #reallydaddy? #LDNOnt
3:03 PM - 14 Mar 13​

:laugh: The tweet is from a local politician in London, but I guess that even he could not give a satisfactory explanation. ;)

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Patrick Chan, JJeremy Ten - a few others have commented on the stuffed animal throwing (and the panties too that apparently get thrown at Chan?). Hospitals etc can't take them as they're not "new and unwrapped" and they end up with bags full that they don't know what to do with. I think Ten said he had "closets" full of toys. Not sure the rationale between throwing stuffed animals at grown men? What are they supposed to do with them?

Can't remember the rules on this forum re: linking to outside articles. But, here's the article discussing it. Quotes from Elizabeth Manley etc:

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports...er-projectiles/article7551576/?service=mobile

glam

On the Ice
I don't think we have seen a lot of flowers and toys during these Championships. It seems like the trend to throw stuff on the ice is slowly fading away in North America and Europe.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't think we have seen a lot of flowers and toys during these Championships. It seems like the trend to throw stuff on the ice is slowly fading away in North America and Europe.

With the price of admission (not to mention the cost of getting there, staying there, eating there, etc), who can afford to?
;)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think the tradition started quite a few years ago. I remember when I skated, people used to throw flowers and teddy bears on the ice. Sometimes, I have heard announcements made at the beginning of the competition to ask people not to throw any objects on the ice, but the practice seems to have made a come back. They always used to have little girls come out after the skaters and scoop up any objects left on the ice.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What would be nice is this:

Have some appropriate toss-able trinket available for sale in the arena at a reasonable cost, but have the proceeds go to a worthy charity, like the Olympic Champion Norwegian speed skater's cause (Sports without Boundaries... or something like that). While we're at it, have the trinket itself be something that skaters can donate without burdensome restrictions like dry-cleaning.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I did a little research on my charity idea, which I just KNOW will be adopted at all major skating events!:laugh::laugh:

Johan Olav Koss is a four-time Olympic speed skating champion from Norway, in addition to having won several trophy-cases of World titles, World Cup titles, European medals, and Norwegian championships. He is considered one of the all-time greats in his sport.

Upon retiring, he founded Right to Play, which uses sport and play as a tool for the development of children and youth in the most disadvantaged areas of the world. I recall that several Winter Olympic Champions, including Joey Cheek of USA, donated their bonuses to Koss' charity.

Supporting this cause beats Liz Manley having a garage-full of 30 year old teddy bears.

Plan B: Ask the fans to start throwing canned goods to the ice for the food banks.:laugh:

Icey

Record Breaker
I never have seen as many skaters pick stuff up off the ice as I did at the Worlds in London.