Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any Picks For The New Pope??

Custom Title
    I missed it all last time as I was working full time and we didn't have internet access in classrooms yet, either. Nice to see it this time. There is a lot of ceremonial business prior to the actual beginning of the conclave, and it sounds as if today's time schedule is pretty typical. They will celebrate mass each morning, but this morning's mass was longer and public.

I was just reading about the "room of tears" and thinking how overwhelming it must be to be chosen as pope. That man's entire life changes. There is no going home again. A complete change of identity. And huge responsibility. It must be quite tempting to say no when ceremonially asked. Indeed, there are at least two stories from long ago of men saying no and one running away until they chose another.

Custom Title
    Thanks for the list of rules, Dee! It'll make things much more interesting to follow.

I remember a lot of fuss when John Paul II was elected, and it turned out to be for good reason; he was an amazing Pope. Though I'm not Catholic, I always felt as bit as if he were my Pope too, because he seemed to embrace everyone. I think there were several things that made his accession unusual. One, of course, was that his predecessor, John Paul I, served just a few weeks before his sudden death. Another was that he was the first non-Italian pope in centuries. A third was that he was so young: just in his fifties. When Benedict was chosen, well, no one could compare to the magnetic John Paul II, even after all the years of his incapacitation. So it was kind of an anticlimax.

I wonder who will sit on the Throne of St. Peter this time.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    well, no one could compare to the magnetic John Paul II, even after all the years of his incapacitation. So it was kind of an anticlimax.
    It was so hard looking at JP2 in the later years, I'm wondering if that's why Benedict chose not to let the world see him that way. I've wondered if Benedict is very ill??

To be honest, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my US cardinals.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    What I like is that they sequester the cardinals until a pope is elected.

I would so like to see that process in Congress sometimes, over really important issues

Custom Title
    Yeah, nobody leaves until the problem is solved. And (this is really hoping against hope) nobody gets a paycheck until it's solved.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

I would so like to see that process in Congress sometimes, over really important issues
    I would say let's add in that bit of tearing off the roof and supplying them with only bread and water in some cases. We'd have to move them, though, don't want to destroy the Capitol.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Just wondering if there would be murder charges???

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    They started using chemicals in 2005 but it was still kind of dark gray/light gray rather than black or white. I'm thinking they must have changed the chemicals. I did read somewhere that there is a digital system in the stove to add it now, too. So presumably the Cardinals taking care of it only have to push a button rather than mess with "formulas".
    Some info on the smoke

The white smoke, used to announce the election of a new pope, combines potassium chlorate, milk sugar (which serves as an easily ignitable fuel) and pine rosin, Vatican officials said in a statement. The black smoke, which was used Tuesday evening to signal that no one in the first round of balloting received the necessary two-thirds vote of the 115 cardinals, uses potassium perchlorate and anthracene (a component of coal tar), with sulfur as the fuel. Potassium chlorate and perchlorate are related compounds, but perchlorate is preferred in some formulations because it is more stable and safer.

The chemicals are electrically ignited in a special stove first used for the conclave of 2005, the statement said. The stove sits in the Sistine Chapel next to an older stove in which the ballots are burned; the colored smoke and the smoke from the ballots mix and travel up a long copper flue to the chapel roof, where the smoke is visible from St. Peter’s Square. A resistance wire is used to preheat the flue so it draws properly, and the flue has a fan as a backup to ensure that no smoke enters the chapel.

I think they are taking extra precaution so they had some smoke go back into the chapel at one time.

White Smoke....just waiting to see who it is.

Custom Title
    Yeah, Habemus Papam, though we don't know who it is. How exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yeah, Habemus Papam, though we don't know who it is. How exciting!
    Olympia I am so excited right now, my heart is beating really fast.

Custom Title
    So we were eating lunch before my husband goes to work and had CNN on the television waiting for smoke. I said to him "I bet we have another half hour before we see it and it will be black. I just think we are not going to have a pope until tomorrow". And he answered, pointing toward our television, "smoke, it looks white!" LOL! I was totally wrong.

So exciting. In 2005, I was teaching and we found out by an announcement over the PA by our campus minister that there was white smoke and the teachers should turn on televisions if we had them so the kids could see him when he came out. (Catholic school, obviously).

Getting ready to make the announcement....

Jorge Mario Bergoglio is the new Pope...Francis the 1st.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Jorge Mario Bergoglio is the new Pope...Francis the 1st.
    Wow! Argentina. Was he one of the ones mentioned earlier? I remember one from Brazil. I was kind of intrigued by the Cardinal from the Philippines.

Okay, I've looked him up. The former Archbishop of Buenos Aires, he's 76 years old so has had to retire from that post. He is very conservative.

I have no right to criticize the Church, not being a Catholic, but as a believer, I always find it less than productive for a church official, in this time of poverty and injustice, to spend time worrying about contraceptives instead of what's going on just outside the door. Children are living on the streets. I don't think the Pill is quite as urgent.

I hope this Pope can express love as well as righteousness. The fact that he's named himself after Francis of Assisi gives me hope of that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast