Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any Picks For The New Pope??

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    I think he already impressed me when he asked us to pray for him and humbly bends over. I am surprised because I don't know that his name has come up as a front runner but he seems humble and is for the people.

Really excited to hear about our first Latin American pope. This is not really surprising given the rapid growth of Catholicism (and Christianity in general) in S. America. When I was a religious studies major a decade ago, I actually read a wonderful book by Penn State University history professor Phillip Jenkins about how Christianity was and would keep exploding in South America, Asia and Africa. The book has been updated and revised since: http://www.amazon.com/The-Next-Chris...dp_ob_title_bk

Here's an interesting fact he points out: "In 1900 Europe was home to two-thirds of the Christian population; today, the figure is about 25 percent and by 2025 will fall below 20 percent." Also. "By 2050 only about one-fifth of the world's 3.2 billion Christians will be non-Hispanic whites."

As you can see, it was absolutely necessary to pick a pope outside Europe. It's so interesting to see this phenomenon playing out now.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    We have seen so many different happenings in history in such a short period of time....first black president, first Latin American pope, what's next....first women president????

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Wow! Argentina. Was he one of the ones mentioned earlier? I remember one from Brazil. I was kind of intrigued by the Cardinal from the Philippines.

Okay, I've looked him up. The former Archbishop of Buenos Aires, he's 76 years old so has had to retire from that post. He is very conservative.

I have no right to criticize the Church, not being a Catholic, but as a believer, I always find it less than productive for a church official, in this time of poverty and injustice, to spend time worrying about contraceptives instead of what's going on just outside the door. Children are living on the streets. I don't think the Pill is quite as urgent.

I hope this Pope can express love as well as righteousness. The fact that he's named himself after Francis of Assisi gives me hope of that.

He lived in an apartment in the city among the poor, used public transportation (no drivers) and cooked his own meals. He has been known for deep concern for social justice issues affecting the poor. The Church is not going to abruptly change its views on contraception, but I think that a Jesuit, Latin American pope with a long record of concern for the poor who took the name Francis may signal that we will see more emphasis on social justice. It is my great hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I think he already impressed me when he asked us to pray for him and humbly bends over. I am surprised because I don't know that his name has come up as a front runner but he seems humble and is for the people.
    The news report I was watching mentioned that he was one of the choices during the prior conclave that selected Benedict. Of course, this is speculation since no one knows what happened except the Cardinals that were present. Wasn't clear if the votes were splitting between him and Benedict or if he turned it down.

Forgot to mention that my impression of him seems favorable as compared to initial impression of Benedict. On the surface, he definitely appears to be a good choice.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Forgot to mention that my impression of him seems favorable as compared to initial impression of Benedict. On the surface, he definitely appears to be a good choice.
    I felt that way, too. Something about his entire demeanor which was calm and serene and not at all as if he expected or wanted this job. Benedict kind of seemed (to me and the people I watched his first appearance with anyway) like someone who finally had a job he'd waited his whole life to get. Very satisfied somehow. This was very different to me. The image of him standing silently and looking down on the crowd was somehow very humble.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    He lived in an apartment in the city among the poor, used public transportation (no drivers) and cooked his own meals. He has been known for deep concern for social justice issues affecting the poor. The Church is not going to abruptly change its views on contraception, but I think that a Jesuit, Latin American pope with a long record of concern for the poor who took the name Francis may signal that we will see more emphasis on social justice. It is my great hope.
    Louisa, that's tremendously good and heartening to hear. The fact that he's a Jesuit is also encouraging to me. Thanks for the new details. I will hope and pray that his communications skills are as good as those of John Paul II. There's a lot of work to be done.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Louisa, that's tremendously good and heartening to hear. The fact that he's a Jesuit is also encouraging to me. Thanks for the new details. I will hope and pray that his communications skills are as good as those of John Paul II. There's a lot of work to be done.
    He did not adhere to the proscribed script for his introduction. The only previous pope to do the same was JPII. I found Benedict rather distant. I never saw that people in the church felt a connection to him. JPII on the other hand was truly a "papa". My Catholic high school students truly mourned him on his death as they felt some spiritual sort of connection. Not so much with Benedict. I don't think he had the charismatic personality that made people feel drawn to him. Notably, he was not a pastor and had not been for decades. Pope Francis has been a pastor among the people and apparently took care to remain so even as a bishop and cardinal.

Custom Title
    I'm not a Catholic, and I mourned John Paul II. He had an immense gift for connecting with people, and for connecting people with one another. I will never forget his meeting with his attempted assassin. Good heavens, all he had to do was issue some distant statement about forgiving the man, but instead he went and sat with him. A friend of mine from Bulgaria, who's Eastern Orthodox, just reveres him. It wasn't just that he stood against Communism. That's ideological. It was that he stood for individual worth and freedom. Like you I felt that Benedict was rather distant, and it was not just that he lacked John Paul's charisma. You can be loving though awkward about it, and people will understand. There are ways of reaching people even without film-star magnetism (which JP2 definitely had and used wisely). Benedict seemed uncomfortable with ordinary folks, and I think your observation that he had not been a pastor for a long time might explain it. The thing about JP2 was that he genuinely seemed to enjoy being a human being along with the rest of us human beings. I hope this new Francis I will convey that as well.

For those who love graphics...here's a great NYT graphic showing the geographical shift in Catholic believers.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...=tw-share&_r=0

Habemas Papam evryone!

He is wonderful, from Argentina (i bet on Brazil but finally from the "New World" and latin America in particular. He is a bit old 76, has only one lung, so pray for this man and health.

He was runner up to Benedict in 2005 but begged not to be Pope. (Insider leaked info from a cardinal's diary that was never named-my source, Spiritdaily.com) He has refused to live like a prince of the church- takes the bus, refuses a limo, no palace and cooks for himself! A champion of the poor and all who know him are happy and inspired, some good news. Doris, I am sure he will agree with zero tolerance that Benedict clearly has enforced (god's rottweiler they used to say of ratzinger).

He cares very much for the poor, and he last lent washed the feet of Aids victims and kissed their feet. I'd do most anything to serve but would balk at that-any feet-washing yes, but kissing? No thank you LOL. I'm very impressed and he was not on the lists maybe because everyone thought the pope should be about 70 years old.

Yes, Dee, they could have picked a Bishop, but Cardinals are usually impressive gifted people, as any one could end up pope. He did not look as happy as Benedict did. Wow, what a toll they took on him. I think it will be good that the new pope can go to the old Pope and find out exactly who was involved in Vatileaks. This new pope comes from a land of dictators and has been through "stuff" so some old men who like to gossip in the Curia will be no big deal. He is a reformer and a an of the people. I am pleased, after reading. I am shocked I missed it, but it will be on news again and videos are all over the net. I did not expect it today, rather tomorrow.

Pray for him. He will be attacked by many people. We must stop holding every preist accountable for the sins of the sick pedophiles. My doicese laicized 3 preists this week who were pulled out decades ago. So some Bishops have always done the right thing.

Custom Title
    I just realized this morning: they did, after all, end up with an Italian pope! I think his parents came to Argentina from Italy. There are a lot of ethnic Europeans in Argentina and Chile. I doubt that affected their deliberations, but it's kind of a cute fact. My Spanish office-mate has heard from friends that he's already been called Papa Paco, a Spanish nickname for Francisco.

Now that he's in there, doing the job, of course I'll pray for him. As we saw from JP2, the Pope can do a great deal of good for the world.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-francis-h...112502058.html

Seems like he intends to continue as he was before as much as possible.

Here's another link where Cardinal Dolan describes part of the post election events. Based upon current reports, I am favorably impressed by Pope Francis.

http://news.yahoo.com/york-cardinal-...012855449.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast