Number of Spots for 2014 Olympics/Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Number of Spots for 2014 Olympics/Worlds

gmyers

Record Breaker
He skates second in the free skate. 22 people go after him! Everyone would have to make so many errors. His score would have to be astronomical. Pcs too. How good it be going second even if his tech score was respectable.

bibi

On the Ice
What rank does the ladies have to get in order for them to secure 1 spot for their country at the olympics? Thanks :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
What are you talking about? Seriously, have you been paying attention this season.?
a) Chan lost to Fernandez at SC
b) He barely beat Fernandez at the GP
c) Chan's Nationals (inflated right?) score is worse than Javier's Euros score.

If Chan falls three times and Fernandez is clean, Fernandez wins. I'd argue that Fernandez can beat a clean Chan now, but that's at least a debate.

I think France has a better shot than Canada to get three spots, but only slightly. D/R and MT/M are basically a lock for three the way they've been skating and the weak competition.

It was too bad Fernandez did not have his best event, especialy as given the way the event was skated he was very easily capable of winning, but I am happy he won the bronze despite that he had problems in both programs. I am also happy the ridiculous GOE and PCS chasm the judges were giving Hanyu over him dissapeared at this event, and that he managed to come out ahead when both had mistakes (something I wouldnt have imagined happening before the event). I think he will be a major contender for gold next year.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
What rank does the ladies have to get in order for them to secure 1 spot for their country at the olympics? Thanks :)

24 spots are available.

The countries that earn two or three spots are given theirs first.

Of the remaining spots, they go to the highest ranked countries not already listed.

So in mens, for example: Canada and Japan get three spots. Five nations (Spain, USA, Kazakhstan, France, Czech Republic) earned two. So of the 24 spots, 16 are already spoken for. Germany, China, Uzbekistan, Russia, Sweden, Belgium, Austria, and Estonia all earned on spot.

For the Olympics, there are 30 spots. So six spots (or more, depending on whether nor not all nations use the second/third spot - Spain didn't this year, for example) will be decided at Nebelhorn.

An insane line-up where 1+12, 2+11, 3+10, etc all come from the same countries and earn three spots, that means that the ladies from 13th-18th would earn one spot for their nation (as long as they don't have representatives in the top 12). So basically, 18th is the lowest you can rank and be guaranteed a spot.