Practice reports | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Practice reports

deedee1

Record Breaker
Don't bark at someone else's every single word though you may not like it...The competition has not even started yet. Calm down a bit, everyone. ;) More excitement and nervousness will come to you sooner or later. :biggrin:

A short news clip of Japanese boys, mainly on Takahashi. No Hanyu in the clip, so must be from Day 1, I guess. Didn't check all posts in this thread, sorry if posted already . :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik2xg0_0TUg

shine

Record Breaker
Yu Na Kim seems to do better under her Korean coach than Orser. Gao also did better. The 'magic' coach is just a fantasy.
Will P. J. eat her cake if Yu Na wins by a mile?
I don't recall Kim winning an Olympic gold under her fabulous Korean coach?
Carolina Kostner, who?
You need to watch some figure skating, then you'd know.

Icey

Record Breaker
Quite a bit of judging goes on during these practices. I wish this were not the case, but some practices in figure skating will never change. If I were FSKing, I would forbid any judges from attending practices.

But a skater is really not required to go to the practice sessions. Like you, I don't think the judges should be allowed to attend the practices.

Krislite

Medalist
"First to skate: Oo-na Kim!"

Oo-na Kim? Who is this mysterious Oo-na you speak of, Mr. Announcer?

He's been consistently pronouncing her name that way since Monday. It's weird--maybe there's a typo and he's reading "Una Kim" (with "Y" missing)?

Anyways, Yuna is dominating the practices with all these clean run-throughs, especially of her LP. Whatever happens on Thursday's SP and Saturday's LP, I'm sure she'll be OK...

ForeverFish

Medalist
Yuna looked exhausted at the end of her SP. Hoping it's just tiredness from the jet lag that'll wear off by Thursday...

Icey

Record Breaker
Thank goodness, For awhile I thought I had been mispronouncing Yuna's name all these years lmao. Yes, Yuna does look incredibly ready to go.

figuristka

Medalist
Lovely free by Patrick so much better than any performance he did this season. 4-3t, 4t, 3lz,3A,3L,3f-half l-3s, 3lz-2t,2a. Unfortunately camera didn't move for Yuzuru on the feed so you cannot really see his free, Dai free in parts 4t prb landing,lovely 3A with the music,3A-2t,3l,3s,3f. Both Patrick and Dai look so beautiful and smooth on the ice compared to others.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Both Patrick and Dai look so beautiful and smooth on the ice compared to others.

:love::love: oh I am so envious of those both who are at the arena and who can access to ustream! Would appreciate a lot if those people can keep telling us more on skaters and their practices, please. :)

figuristka

Medalist
ladies practices are now up online. Gold and Wagner looked very strong for their free.3lz-3t from Gold to start. No 3-3 from Wagner though during her music.

bebevia

On the Ice
He's been consistently pronouncing her name that way since Monday. It's weird--maybe there's a typo and he's reading "Una Kim" (with "Y" missing)?
The only instance I recall from an English announcer pronouncing her name perfect was the Olympics (Her first name in right Korean pronunciation). Most times, it's Yuna, which is fine by how it's intended to be. A few times, I heard commentators (and maybe announcers) stuttering and pronouncing it weird.

I'm just wondering... aren't professional staffs in such an international event, including the announcer, supposed to have heard the big names? At least, STUDY THE NAMES? I mean, CALLING OUT NAMES IS THE MAIN JOB OF AN ANNOUNCER! I actually notice this once a while, like canceling out J's in English pronunciation-based names as if written in Italian. (Why don't they just call Jason as Yahson as well?) It frustrates me to notice such an amateur attitude; it doesn't take long to look up the entire list and search out names one's not perfectly sure of, even on-spot nowadays with smartphones. It's like attending a fashion event rehearsal, and have the host shout "Channel" (Cha- as in Chat) instead of "Chanel" (Cha- as in Chandelier). It's intolerable even if the announcer was to be a volunteer.

I'm sorry I'm so hysterical... but with a year-long anticipated event, I want things right.

Krislite

Medalist
ladies practices are now up online. Gold and Wagner looked very strong for their free.3lz-3t from Gold to start. No 3-3 from Wagner though during her music.

She's gonna play it safe and count on others to make mistakes. Might not work, though, as it seems so many of the girls are in excellent condition.