Practice reports | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Practice reports

Oh, dear, and I've been saying it to Koreans who own a shop near me, and they were too polite to correct me. I guess they were thrilled that a non-Korean even recognized who she was. (They should only know that there's a whole site-full of us fans who know her name, her championship record, her height, her favorite foods and music, how many jumps she can do....) I saw that someone on GS wrote her name Yeonah, which seems a closer approximation of what it should be. Well, I don't think I'll start respelling it when I write her name, but I'll try to pronounce it better.

quikrush

Rinkside
Thanks for the videos, Yuna seems to be in peak form! This is truly exciting.

BTW I think the best way a westerner can prononce Yuna's name in Korean is to say the first syllable as the 'youn' in the word 'young' and then add the 'ah' sound. However since she writes her application form (or whatever) as Yuna Kim the announcers should just stick to it, IMO.

figuristka

Medalist
Mao did a run through of Free without jumps, Akiko did program with jumps and don't think she missed anything. Kaetlyn short 3t-turn in middle 3t, 3f little wild but clean,1A. Mao 3A with turn, nice 2a-3t and 3s during session. Japanese ladies looks strong.

guanchi

On the Ice
Yuna as spoken by a native Korean sounds like the word for telephone- chjuuh- nah. Chjuuh (with a softer "ch" or stronger "j") sounds almost like "duh":p, with more drawn out uuh sound, but perhaps not such a low "u" sound like ton.
The "uuh" sound is maybe more of a schwa. And the "n" of "nah" does not end in the first syllable, it starts and sounds in the second.
So, although Yeon- Ah is correct in writing, her name is correctly spoken as Yeo-nah.
I'm sure I confused everyone :biggrin:.

Btw, I share 2 parts of her name :cool:.

Cherryy

On the Ice

Will her layback (2:06) get level 4? I'm not an expert when it comes to levels. I noticed
1. changing from sideways to layback
2. 8 revolutions in the basic layback position
3. difficult position (haircut)
Is there something else?

Thanks for the links and reports, it's really appreciated :). I'm super excited that most of the people are in perfect condition.

bebevia

On the Ice
BTW I think the best way a westerner can prononce Yuna's name in Korean is to say the first syllable as the 'youn' in the word 'young' and then add the 'ah' sound. However since she writes her application form (or whatever) as Yuna Kim the announcers should just stick to it, IMO.
Agreed. She actually kept it Yuna for convenience of pronunciation, I remember, so that... for example, she's not called Oona. Stage name(?) helps, I guess, and it does sound better in non-Korean tongues.

On the contrary, ex-Plushenko changed his English spelling to now-Plushchenko so that it would better resemble his name and easier for commentators to read and pronounce accordingly. Not that it's easier, rather harder, but I guess he likes his name.

I know that (I don't remember which, since there's so many) quite a few athletes mind this issue, and it's mostly Europeans and others with names starting with J. Many understand most people mispronouncing it, since cultures are different; just annoyed when commentators and announcers get it wrong, since those instances are considered official identification and declaration on who's there in public spaces/media. I'm no linguist by any mean, but I peck on professionals paid to pronounce so that if I learn a name by hearing, then find out it's wrongly pronounced, I can avoid blame.

figuristka

Medalist
Nice preview of the contenders and clips of practices on cbc. Funny Fernandez described his quad as a party person,Joubert described his quad as a wife both good and bad but you still love and Patrick described his quad like in- laws you want to impress, especially if you want to marry the daughter LOL Sorry might have missed a bit in Patrick's explanation but it sounded funny.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Will her layback (2:06) get level 4? I'm not an expert when it comes to levels. I noticed
Is there something else?

Thanks for the links and reports, it's really appreciated :). I'm super excited that most of the people are in perfect condition.

Nope, that would be a level 3. But the difference between 3 and 4 is practically negligible.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Is there something else?

It seems like Yuna is still going with a Level 3 for the layback. Maybe she'll get back the Bielmann position next year. I can see her attempting the "clear acceleration" feature but it needs to be a bit faster for it to count.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Thank you everyone for the videos and reports! Yu-Na is really in a wonderful shape, and her layback has improved a lot, it might even receive level 4... :think: But I can't watch the videos (they're blocked in my country), can someone tell me how the Pairs practice was?

burntBREAD

Medalist
Thank you everyone for the videos and reports! Yu-Na is really in a wonderful shape, and her layback has improved a lot, it might even receive level 4... :think: But I can't watch the videos (they're blocked in my country), can someone tell me how the Pairs practice was?

No, Yuna doesn't do enough features to get a level 4. She does a sideways (1 level), holds for 8 revs in basic (1 level), and haircutter (1 level). That's level 3. If she lowered her leg and sped up the rotation (like what Viktoria Helgesson does) she would get the level 4 w/o Bielmann.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Depends on how clear the increase of speed is. It's the most nebulous of calls for spin features...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker