Practice reports | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Practice reports

jiggs

On the Ice
How's Carolina? Did she attend the practices at all? I haven't heard anything about her. :confused:

There was only one report from Tuesday's practice where she apparently looked great and hit 3f3t, several 3t3t, 3lz, 3sal etc.
No news from yesterday unfortunately :(

venlac

On the Ice
Another clean fs run through by Yuna today. two clean sp's and three clean fs's in total(practice).

Krislite

Medalist
Another clean fs run through by Yuna today. two clean sp's and three clean fs's in total(practice).

I don't think she's had this many clean run-through's in practices since Vancouver. Such a big difference from 2011 Worlds when she kept popping jumps in FS run-through's. Let's hope this carries into tomorrow's long program.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I don't think she's had this many clean run-through's in practices since Vancouver. Such a big difference from 2011 Worlds when she kept popping jumps in FS run-through's. Let's hope this carries into tomorrow's long program.

The difference being that this isn't the first competition of the year that she is competing at and that she's probably learned from her mistakes back then.

ehdtkqorl123

On the Ice
Karolina didn't show up today.
Yu-Na perfectly nailed out her Les Mis run-thru. So far, she has never fallen on her jumps.
Mao did some beautiful two-footed 3A's.

b-man

Final Flight
Agreed, Yuna put on a clinic in the morning, and another clinic in the afternoon practice. Practically all her jumps would be +3's, no falls, no step outs, no pops, and its been like this all week. And for those who say Yuna is emotionless, she showed plenty of emotion in her run throughs. Carolina didn't show for either practice. Mao, in the same practice group as Yuna, was struggling with some of her jumps, didn't look all that happy, as a Korean contingent was cheering whenever Yuna hit a big jump. Kanako and Suzuki were very workmanlike and skating well. Osmond kept having 30 second flashes of brilliance, but would then stop. She also had two big falls and some wobbly landings.

Krislite

Medalist
Agreed, Yuna put on a clinic in the morning, and another clinic in the afternoon practice. Practically all her jumps would be +3's, no falls, no step outs, no pops, and its been like this all week. And for those who say Yuna is emotionless, she showed plenty of emotion in her run throughs. Carolina didn't show for either practice. Mao, in the same practice group as Yuna, was struggling with some of her jumps, didn't look all that happy, as a Korean contingent was cheering whenever Yuna hit a big jump. Kanako and Suzuki were very workmanlike and skating well. Osmond kept having 30 second flashes of brilliance, but would then stop. She also had two big falls and some wobbly landings.

Great to hear about Yuna's clean practices. I wish we had videos but it seems the organizers are being strict about fan-vids/non-official media.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Why is Carolina only showing up to half the practices? She can't be this confident...

Probably a long-shot, but maybe to psych the other competitors out. I remember back in the 2006 Olympics, there was a short segment on figure skating practices on NBC and one commentator mentioned that one skater (I think it might have been Irina or Plushy) either didn't show up to or showed up only briefly to the rink to show that "Hey, I don't need this, I'm totes good."

Or maybe she found another rink to train at or something.

Krislite

Medalist
Probably a long-shot, but maybe to psych the other competitors out. I remember back in the 2006 Olympics, there was a short segment on figure skating practices on NBC and one commentator mentioned that one skater (I think it might have been Irina or Plushy) either didn't show up to or showed up only briefly to the rink to show that "Hey, I don't need this, I'm totes good."

Or maybe she found another rink to train at or something.

Well, Irina didn't exactly walk home with the OGM, while the lady who dominated the practices (Shizuka) did.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Well, Irina didn't exactly walk home with the OGM, while the lady who dominated the practices (Shizuka) did.

Yeah, but it's not like they knew that back then. :p

Besides, Shizuka did some psyching out herself, what with her 3-3s and her 3-3-3s. :popcorn:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
^ Thanks, Krislite!

You know what makes me a little sad though? For the first time since 2008-2009 season, bothof Yuna's programs aren't my favorites. The SP honor goes to Kanako and the LP honor goes to Akiko. I've tried really hard to gush over Yuna's programs this season, to no avail. But it's great to see her out there in fighting form again.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Didn't you see her SP score? She knows she's already won. ;)

also i think that's her training style. she's not one to do full run-throughs every day or go for everything in practice. the europeans on the whole seem to mark their programs and spend their ice time getting lose and comfortable.

Krislite

Medalist
^ Thanks, Krislite!

You know what makes me a little sad though? For the first time since 2008-2009 season, bothof Yuna's programs aren't my favorites. The SP honor goes to Kanako and the LP honor goes to Akiko. I've tried really hard to gush over Yuna's programs this season, to no avail. But it's great to see her out there in fighting form again.

She's got one more season to go. I'm hoping her Olympic programs will be spectacular.

YunaBliss

On the Ice

Thanks for update. I think Yuna will blow everyone out of the water in the LP.

Tanja90

On the Ice
Didn't you see her SP score? She knows she's already won. ;)
hahaha really funny...
nope. she said in an interview that her coach would have chosen if she would go at practice yesterday or not. It's not that she is confident or something...also last year at words she didn't show up the day before the competition! last year was because she felt a little pain on her leg but this year I think it's to take off the pressure of the competition!

figuristka

Medalist
I cannot find any updated practices on ustream from Wed, thurs or Fri? Anyone find them? thanks
Hope the ladies skate great and the winner doesn't have so many errors in the Fs as in men's. Go ladies !