Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Yuna Kim - 2013 version

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Here's an AP article about her comeback, just published today: "The Queen" is Back: Kim Returns to Worlds

I get a vastly different feeling from her vs. 2011 Worlds. I think she wants to be here and she wants to win.

I agree. Never heard her speaking with such level of conviction as she did with this interview since Vancouver.

Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    Just a crazy thought, hmm, but what if Yuna tried a clockwise 3lo.
    That's not going to happen and isn't even realistic. It's not her natural rotational direction which means she won't be able to get in the proper position to rotate 3X in the same way a lot of people have issues with non-rotational direction twizzles, (figure) loops, an spins. The power in a Lutz jumps is mostly generated from the PICKING foot, not the gliding foot, which means it's again her RIGHT leg generating the power in the Lz (just like the Lo and F).

Custom Title
    If Yu-Na repeats in Sochi it'll be down to her mental strength and nerve moreso than anything else. To have delivered in Vancouver as she did under the pressure just spoke volumes about her coolness even when the conditions were right to have a bit of a meltdown.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    The other problem is that she doesn't want to do a solo 2Lz as the last jump.-- that will just scream I CAN'T DO A TRIPLE LOOP. But a nicely choreographed three-small-jump combination -- that could be kind of a breath of fresh air.
    I don't believe any judges would think poorly of her doing a nice tano 2Lz, if it comes "out of nowhere".

2Lutz-2Toe-2Loop would probably create some question marks, though. It requires a longer setup and you really need to do a triple jump or 2Axel after setting up like that, or else people will be underwhelmed.

I'm kinda sad no ladies have choreographed 2Lz as an element in their programs. It has been completely worth it ever since the rule changes for the 2010-2011 season, if you aren't already going for a totally maxed-out jump layout (7 Triples, with repeats of the hardest Triples, and 2 Double Axels). I still think Kostner should be doing a 2Lz-3Toe combo instead of that boring 3Toe-2Toe.

If Yuna can keep her nerves under control like in the SP today and max out her spin levels to 4, she'll have no problem defending that Olympic title in Sochi. I hope she does well on Saturday.

It's amazing how "2013" version of Yuna is very much like 2010 Yuna in terms of jumps and skating skills. Seems the only thing she lost is the Biellmann spin.

Custom Title
    I wouldn't mind seeing her attempting a 3a and playing the 70% base value game. Her 2a is beautiful, and if she could get consistent eking out 3.25 rotations, then good for her. Then she wouldn't need the darned loop (not that she really needs it, but any 5th triple is a nice cushion to have)

Oh, and I'm glad that she got rid of the biellmann- leave that for the russian gumbies.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    I don't believe any judges would think poorly of her doing a nice tano 2Lz, if it comes "out of nowhere".

2Lutz-2Toe-2Loop would probably create some question marks, though. It requires a longer setup and you really need to do a triple jump or 2Axel after setting up like that, or else people will be underwhelmed.

I'm kinda sad no ladies have choreographed 2Lz as an element in their programs. It has been completely worth it ever since the rule changes for the 2010-2011 season, if you aren't already going for a totally maxed-out jump layout (7 Triples, with repeats of the hardest Triples, and 2 Double Axels). I still think Kostner should be doing a 2Lz-3Toe combo instead of that boring 3Toe-2Toe.
    While it makes sense points-wise, a 2Lz is seen as a novice maneuver. Other than 2T/2L in combos, I don't think seniors should be incorporating doubles in their programs. Also, a 2Lz-3toe combo presents far greater risk than a 3T-2T. Any time a 3T is on the end of a combo, you risk underrotation (in ladies, at least). The difference between 2Z-3T and 3T-2T combos is 0.7, but an under-rotated 3T on the lutz combo means a loss of 1.23 points, not to mention the GOE hit. And if I were a judge, I'd be like "A double lutz?! I thought this was seniors..."

Custom Title
    I think this incorporates an elegant use of a 2lz- go to the 1:46 mark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPKgg8SGys

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by guanchi View Post
    I think this incorporates an elegant use of a 2lz- go to the 1:46 mark
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdPKgg8SGys
    A 1968 example? Seriously?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    A 1968 example? Seriously?
    Huh? You didn't notice Peggy's stance of dominance?
    I think Cesar would be proud.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    While it makes sense points-wise, a 2Lz is seen as a novice maneuver. Other than 2T/2L in combos, I don't think seniors should be incorporating doubles in their programs. Also, a 2Lz-3toe combo presents far greater risk than a 3T-2T. Any time a 3T is on the end of a combo, you risk underrotation (in ladies, at least). The difference between 2Z-3T and 3T-2T combos is 0.7, but an under-rotated 3T on the lutz combo means a loss of 1.23 points, not to mention the GOE hit. And if I were a judge, I'd be like "A double lutz?! I thought this was seniors..."
    The difference is .8, actually. I wouldn't say the risk is much greater really, unless you are a bad combination jumper period or have serious lutz edge issues. Regardless, 2F-3Toe is still worth more points too. Kostner won Worlds last year with 2Flip-2Toe combo in her LP. She gets the highest PCS of anyone all year at Euros with both of her Salchows doubled. Judges aren't going to look down on a 2Lz-3Toe combo or a nice 2Lz that flows right out of the choreography.

On the Ice
    Flexibility hasn't been one of her gifts for sure. I remember her old interview saying that she was so happy and surprised that she could do Biellmann.
    After 2 years without competition I can clearly see that her flexibility issue + chronic waist injury is keeping her from doing super-flexible positions in spins.

Her gifts are more on athletic sides - speed and height across the ice and throughout the jump. Her spins(well executed spins) are usually quite fast, too.
    The mechanisms of her jumps are crystal clear and textbook.
    Even her flips are one of the currents' bests, regarding the flow of entrance IMO (there are so many shapeless flips; neither 3turn nor mohawk).
    And it's impressive how she maintains those qualities all throughout her carrier, even after a long break. That's a BIG talent.

Plus she has characteristics to show - we have witnessed and enjoyed them, though I don't really like this season's programs.
    Personally I want to see two-times Olympic champion. Why not another legend in figure skating history?

P.S. I really don't get pointed toe matters in spins. I am an amateur dancer myself but toe points never caught my eyes when watching figure skating.

Quote Originally Posted by creme cup View Post
    P.S. I really don't get pointed toe matters in spins. I am an amateur dancer myself but toe points never caught my eyes when watching figure skating.
    Well, a figure skater in stiff boots can't point her toe like a dancer. But sometimes you can't help but notice:

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vimagesite/...-0-news,00.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ikodinov_2.jpg
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-15-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Here is a similar shot of Yuna from yesterday: http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps74e42d6e.jpg

^

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast