Yuna Kim - 2013 version | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim - 2013 version

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
While it makes sense points-wise, a 2Lz is seen as a novice maneuver. Other than 2T/2L in combos, I don't think seniors should be incorporating doubles in their programs. Also, a 2Lz-3toe combo presents far greater risk than a 3T-2T. Any time a 3T is on the end of a combo, you risk underrotation (in ladies, at least). The difference between 2Z-3T and 3T-2T combos is 0.7, but an under-rotated 3T on the lutz combo means a loss of 1.23 points, not to mention the GOE hit. And if I were a judge, I'd be like "A double lutz?! I thought this was seniors..."

The difference is .8, actually. I wouldn't say the risk is much greater really, unless you are a bad combination jumper period or have serious lutz edge issues. Regardless, 2F-3Toe is still worth more points too. Kostner won Worlds last year with 2Flip-2Toe combo in her LP. She gets the highest PCS of anyone all year at Euros with both of her Salchows doubled. Judges aren't going to look down on a 2Lz-3Toe combo or a nice 2Lz that flows right out of the choreography.

creme cup

Rinkside
Flexibility hasn't been one of her gifts for sure. I remember her old interview saying that she was so happy and surprised that she could do Biellmann.
After 2 years without competition I can clearly see that her flexibility issue + chronic waist injury is keeping her from doing super-flexible positions in spins.

Her gifts are more on athletic sides - speed and height across the ice and throughout the jump. Her spins(well executed spins) are usually quite fast, too.
The mechanisms of her jumps are crystal clear and textbook.
Even her flips are one of the currents' bests, regarding the flow of entrance IMO (there are so many shapeless flips; neither 3turn nor mohawk).
And it's impressive how she maintains those qualities all throughout her carrier, even after a long break. That's a BIG talent.

Plus she has characteristics to show - we have witnessed and enjoyed them, though I don't really like this season's programs.
Personally I want to see two-times Olympic champion. Why not another legend in figure skating history?

P.S. I really don't get pointed toe matters in spins. I am an amateur dancer myself but toe points never caught my eyes when watching figure skating.

Last edited:

Robeye

Final Flight
Nicely played :laugh:. I believe this is illustrative of the term "pwned" in electronic games. And from my observation, pwning Mathman is one of the more difficult exploits on this forum. ;)

Kidding aside, while this feature has never been her hallmark in the past (and while I personally think it has very marginal impact on scoring), I do believe that she has made efforts to improve, as you show.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
lol, yeah, Mathman is the final mega boss who usually pwns everyone. :biggrin: I have the highest respect for him and he is an (secret) admirer of Yuna.

Yuna can never be perfect in this aspect, just because of way she is built. But yes, she has tried to improve I think. And this certainly does not undermine her greatness -- the Queen still pwns them all.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
lol, yeah, Mathman is the final mega boss who usually pwns everyone. :biggrin: I have the highest respect for him and he is an (secret) admirer of Yuna.

Yuna can never be perfect in this aspect, just because of way she is built. But yes, she has tried to improve I think. And this certainly does not undermine her greatness -- the Queen still pwns them all.

Nah, it's not the way she was built--it's the way she was injured. I think her back injury keeps her from improving the stretch of her free leg position in the layback spin. (Stretch does not just come from the butt!) She'll most likely never have a straight free leg, but I hope she can do something like this in the future:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6tu4kClop1r1qov0o1_250.jpg

(Bent knee, but higher leg position with toe-point.)

Enero

On the Ice
^ I agree. No matter how spectacular tonight's result turned out to be, there's always room for guidance and improvement.

guanchi

On the Ice
The question is still on my mind though- will she stick with her current coaches or find a more "renowned" coach for her possible last season. No doubt she had a smashing success now, but would she feel someone else would unearth further refinements for that edge in Sochi. Plus, having worked with Wilson all these years, I doubt she'll abandon him, but it would be nice to bring in other guys like Buttle or Dickson for her finale.

Krislite

Medalist
The question is still on my mind though- will she stick with her current coaches or find a more "renowned" coach for her possible last season. No doubt she had a smashing success now, but would she feel someone else would unearth further refinements for that edge in Sochi. Plus, having worked with Wilson all these years, I doubt she'll abandon him, but it would be nice to bring in other guys like Buttle or Dickson for her finale.

I believe she was willing to experiment with other choreographers when David suggested it right before her break-up with Orser. She'll go to David Wilson first, so it's really up to David, I think, if he wants to suggest someone else for one of her programs. She's worked with Dickson and Buttle before, and she's worked with Sandra Bezic with one her galas.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I doubt she even needs a coach now at this point. She is unrealistically secure.

She's not that arrogant. Though given her results she might stick with her Korean coaches.

It's not even about arrogance though. I'm sure she'd do okay without a coach, but (A) she's not aiming for "okay", and (B) it's always good to have that second experienced eye looking out for you. Even elite skaters with tons of experience need someone to keep them in line. They can't see themselves skating and they don't know what mistakes they're making. (Case in point: MK who had a solid flip for years ... until the 2001-2002 season, where she fell on the 3F at the Olympics and had been struggling with the jump all season. It was a mistake for her to leave Frank and go coachless after Nationals.)

bekalc

Record Breaker
It's not even about arrogance though. I'm sure she'd do okay without a coach, but (A) she's not aiming for "okay", and (B) it's always good to have that second experienced eye looking out for you. Even elite skaters with tons of experience need someone to keep them in line. They can't see themselves skating and they don't know what mistakes they're making. (Case in point: MK who had a solid flip for years ... until the 2001-2002 season, where she fell on the 3F at the Olympics and had been struggling with the jump all season. It was a mistake for her to leave Frank and go coachless after Nationals.)

I don't know everyone thought Kim would cruise in 2011 and she didn't. There's something to be said for being as prepared as you possibly can be. I know many felt she wasn't as prepared since she didn't compete as much. But she competed a few times to get the bugs out.

Champions don't rest on their laurels and continue to improve. In Kim's case, I really don't think it would be wise for her to add in the loop though, unless its spectacular. Its clearly an issue jump for her, and she should be all about staying healthy..

I do think though maybe should could go for a repeat 3flip. And perhaps more jumps in the back half. That double axel/2toe/2loop could be a really nice back up for her.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Yuna Kim has competed in 31 international competitions in her competitive skating career. She medaled in all of them. And she won the vast majority of them, with 22 gold medals. She also won all 6 South Korean nationals she entered. I don't really have a point. Just throwing those facts out there while gaping at them. :eek:

Krislite

Medalist
Yuna Kim has competed in 31 international competitions in her competitive skating career. She medaled in all of them. And she won the vast majority of them, with 22 gold medals. She also won all 6 South Korean nationals she entered. I don't really have a point. Just throwing those facts out there while gaping at them. :eek:

I believe she also has the most number of world medals after Sonja Henie (11) and Michelle Kwan (9). Interestingly, she has two complete sets of World medals (two gold, two silver, two bronze).

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I believe she also has the most number of world medals after Sonja Henie (11) and Michelle Kwan (9). Interestingly, she has two complete sets of World medals (two gold, two silver, two bronze).

The first stat is just ridiculously impressive, especially considering she skated in the COP days, where skater rankings are more volatile, and Henie and Kwan didn't (well, Kwan did for that one Worlds where she went into 4th). The second stat is neat!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty

when I think of Kim Yuna's medal achievements http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yevgeniya_Kanayeva