Yuna Kim - 2013 version | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim - 2013 version

Krislite

Medalist
Just throwing another one in here:

3Lz-3T
3Lz-.5lo-3S
2Lz-2Lo-2T (thanks BoP )
2a (directly from sp sq for added difficulty)
3F
3S
2a (from Ina bauer)

That lutz-salchow combo would be something new, and pretty difficult I assume- how does this layout compare to the others?

This is also illegal. You have two 3-jump combos. The layout that maximizes BV without a 3A is this:

3Lz+3T
2A+L+3S
3Lz
3F+2L
3F
3L
2A

Basically, put the two easy triples (salchow & toe-loop) in the back-end of combos, repeat the two big jumps (Lutz & Flip) and still have the max of two 2Axels.

guanchi

On the Ice
This is also illegal. You have two 3-jump combos. The layout that maximizes BV without a 3A is this:

3Lz+3T
2A+L+3S
3Lz
3F+2L
3F
3L
2A

Basically, put the two easy triples (salchow & toe-loop) in the back-end of combos, repeat the two big jumps (Lutz & Flip) and still have the max of two 2Axels.

Whoops, should've deleted that 2t at the back end of the 2a combo.:biggrin:
Ah, that would be really sweet if, barring pain and injury, she tried to get her loop back.
Also interesting that a maximized bv program without a 3a does NOT include a 3-3-3 combo (assuming no quads, hehe)

Krislite

Medalist
But the game is to maximize her chances without a 3Lo.
Well in that case...

3Lz+3T
2A+.5L+3S
3Lz
3F
3F+2L
2A
2lz

That does it, I think. The 3-jump combo is a big if, though. She's never done 3S in the back-end of a combo before.

guanchi

On the Ice
Just a crazy thought, hmm, but what if Yuna tried a clockwise 3lo.:eek:
Perhaps that RBO edge jump never made her comfortable, or hurts her, or is just a mental block.
But what if she tried a CW loop using her LBO- her left leg looks very powerful, given her great lutz.
And I've seen clips in her younger days doing standing CW double jumps with little problem.
Just craziness...imagine if she pulled it off, I'd put her the podium just for that.:cool:

Well in that case...

3Lz+3T
2A+.5L+3S
3Lz
3F
3F+2L
2A
2lz

That does it, I think. The 3-jump combo is a big if, though. She's never done 3S in the back-end of a combo before.

I think the other one is much better.

3Lz+3T
2A+3T
3F
3Lz
3S
2Lz+2Lo+2T (5.72 BV)
2A

The difference in base value is only 0.5 points (not counting second half bonuses). She absolutely should do her amazing 2A+3T combo that always gets huge GOEs, and she should not try (just on general principles ;) ) one of those wonky awkward-looking half-loop combos.

The other problem is that she doesn't want to do a solo 2Lz as the last jump.-- that will just scream I CAN'T DO A TRIPLE LOOP. But a nicely choreographed three-small-jump combination -- that could be kind of a breath of fresh air. In fact, it could be a lot nicer than then usual 3Something+2Lo+2T combos that most skaters do, where they come to a complete standstill by the second jump. (JMO)

Edited to add As for backloading her program by moving the 2A+3T to the second half, I think that's a strategic mistake, too. She should do what she did at the Olympcis. Come out and nail the two combos, sending the vibe out to the judges -- "Did you see that? Are you paying attention? You might as well start marking down those 9.5s now."

Colanboy

Rinkside
Edited to add As for backloading her program by moving the 2A+3T to the second half, I think that's a strategic mistake, too. She should do what she did at the Olympcis. Come out and nail the two combos, sending the vibe out to the judges -- "Did you see that? Are you paying attention? You might as well start marking down those 9.5s now."

For the 2009-10 season, I think Yuna did intend to put her 2A+3T in the second half, because the combo was given the 1.1x bonus at TEB and GPF. It might've been a timing issue that caused her not to get the bonus at the Olympics.

Krislite

Medalist
For the 2009-10 season, I think Yuna did intend to put her 2A+3T in the second half, because the combo was given the 1.1x bonus at TEB and GPF. It might've been a timing issue that caused her not to get the bonus at the Olympics.

That's correct. She pushed several of her elements forward (including the combo) when tweaking the long program for the Olympics. This caused her to miss the 10% for the 2A+3T by a mere second or so, but it was totally unnecessary in the end. :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Just a crazy thought, hmm, but what if Yuna tried a clockwise 3lo.

That's not going to happen and isn't even realistic. It's not her natural rotational direction which means she won't be able to get in the proper position to rotate 3X in the same way a lot of people have issues with non-rotational direction twizzles, (figure) loops, an spins. The power in a Lutz jumps is mostly generated from the PICKING foot, not the gliding foot, which means it's again her RIGHT leg generating the power in the Lz (just like the Lo and F).

Ambivalent

On the Ice
If Yu-Na repeats in Sochi it'll be down to her mental strength and nerve moreso than anything else. To have delivered in Vancouver as she did under the pressure just spoke volumes about her coolness even when the conditions were right to have a bit of a meltdown.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The other problem is that she doesn't want to do a solo 2Lz as the last jump.-- that will just scream I CAN'T DO A TRIPLE LOOP. But a nicely choreographed three-small-jump combination -- that could be kind of a breath of fresh air.

I don't believe any judges would think poorly of her doing a nice tano 2Lz, if it comes "out of nowhere".

2Lutz-2Toe-2Loop would probably create some question marks, though. It requires a longer setup and you really need to do a triple jump or 2Axel after setting up like that, or else people will be underwhelmed.

I'm kinda sad no ladies have choreographed 2Lz as an element in their programs. It has been completely worth it ever since the rule changes for the 2010-2011 season, if you aren't already going for a totally maxed-out jump layout (7 Triples, with repeats of the hardest Triples, and 2 Double Axels). I still think Kostner should be doing a 2Lz-3Toe combo instead of that boring 3Toe-2Toe.

Krislite

Medalist
If Yuna can keep her nerves under control like in the SP today and max out her spin levels to 4, she'll have no problem defending that Olympic title in Sochi. I hope she does well on Saturday. :)

It's amazing how "2013" version of Yuna is very much like 2010 Yuna in terms of jumps and skating skills. Seems the only thing she lost is the Biellmann spin.

guanchi

On the Ice
I wouldn't mind seeing her attempting a 3a and playing the 70% base value game. Her 2a is beautiful, and if she could get consistent eking out 3.25 rotations, then good for her. Then she wouldn't need the darned loop (not that she really needs it, but any 5th triple is a nice cushion to have)

Oh, and I'm glad that she got rid of the biellmann- leave that for the russian gumbies.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't believe any judges would think poorly of her doing a nice tano 2Lz, if it comes "out of nowhere".

2Lutz-2Toe-2Loop would probably create some question marks, though. It requires a longer setup and you really need to do a triple jump or 2Axel after setting up like that, or else people will be underwhelmed.

I'm kinda sad no ladies have choreographed 2Lz as an element in their programs. It has been completely worth it ever since the rule changes for the 2010-2011 season, if you aren't already going for a totally maxed-out jump layout (7 Triples, with repeats of the hardest Triples, and 2 Double Axels). I still think Kostner should be doing a 2Lz-3Toe combo instead of that boring 3Toe-2Toe.

While it makes sense points-wise, a 2Lz is seen as a novice maneuver. Other than 2T/2L in combos, I don't think seniors should be incorporating doubles in their programs. Also, a 2Lz-3toe combo presents far greater risk than a 3T-2T. Any time a 3T is on the end of a combo, you risk underrotation (in ladies, at least). The difference between 2Z-3T and 3T-2T combos is 0.7, but an under-rotated 3T on the lutz combo means a loss of 1.23 points, not to mention the GOE hit. And if I were a judge, I'd be like "A double lutz?! I thought this was seniors..."